Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Football - my goals this season

jcnemy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Football - my goals this season

With the help and inspirations of a handful,....I just wanted to share some of my goals and objectives as I move my photography from a 'Hobby' status to a ''Business' status this coming season....

A big thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum and especially Rick Dayton for providing some excellent mentoring and advice.

With that...

I'm all about accountability, so I figure I would share some of my personal goals with everyone to help keep me honest, true to my mission, and ultimately help me in my endeavors...

With that, here are my fall sporting goals (mainly centers on football for now)....

1. Tell the whole story - cover special events before the game...cheerleaders, parents, and the pep squad. Capture the emotions of winning, losing, pain, and happiness for the entire game to include pre game and after the game. There's more than just football players - cover the cheerleaders, band, dancing team, parents, and all those supporting the teams on the field. Continuously look for the non-stock photo.

2. Minimize missed shots - quit daydreaming or picking my nose after the whistle blows....something could be brewing to the left of right of me....head on swivel.

3. No SPRAY and PRAY!!!! I won't and don't have the time to PP thousands of images. Will strategically position and wait to get maximum frame-filling prior to pressing the shutter release. Will also help in minimizing cropping later.

4. Manage WB, nail exposure, and SHOOT TIGHT - proper execution on these will minimize PP time later on.

5. Continuously market my services and products - parents, coaches, athletes, social networking, and booster clubs....think grassroots since going from higher to lower did not yield much interest.

6. Prep gear - all gear is checked, cleaned, configured, and ready to go. No Homer Simpson "Doooohs"!!!

7. Get better each week! - Learn each week and apply lessons learned. Minimize repeating same mistakes.

8. Patience - wait for the better shot, be in position for the best shot, and realize Rome was not built in a day.

9. Post results often to this forum - to help assess and get guidance and corrections from the community

10. Be safe, have fun, and ensure I balance this along with my job and family.

With that - here are a few shots I grabbed at this weekend's football tournament. Looking forward to a great season.

All of these are basically SOOC with minor processing and good cropping.

Thanks for viewing...

JC

© jpc photo 2014

© jpc photo 2014

© jpc photo 2014

© jpc photo 2014

Aug 18, 2014 at 03:54 PM
Eric Smith
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Football - my goals this season

I'm glad that you have had a chance to talk to Rick Dayton as he is a really good guy. I'll throw a few things in here that I hope will be useful.

First off, these football pictures are pretty good. You're shooting from a low angle and other than #1, shooting ahead of the action which is key. (Your eyes can "sweep the field", eyes of the players, etc.)

1. I've done this enough to know that if you get 8-10 outstanding images (hopefully none of them involving action) in a year (not a weekend, not a month, not a season), but a year, I had an amazing run. It's mid-August now, and my count is at 4. My point is that as you progress, you will hopefully look back at a picture you liked six months ago, and then think it sucks. You really want to hate everything you shoot. I'm not kidding. Hate it all and you will become a better photographer.

2.) When in doubt, throw it out. If you think your picture sucks, it does.

3.) The better you get, the luckier you get.

4.) Tears and cheers. No one remembers the best action shot from last year, but no one forgets the best tears and cheers shot. (Stan Grossfield of the Boston Globe's epic, mega-jube of the celebrating cop. Google it.)

Have fun with it, and I'l look forward to your posts.

Cheers.

-Eric

Aug 18, 2014 at 06:57 PM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Football - my goals this season

Great points Eric - thanks for mentioning those. I'm always trying to improve my 'tears, cheers, and overall jube' shots. Goes in my 'pay attention' bucket to ensure I don't miss them.

Well....I've been drinking the Hatorade lately on my shots....making building my various portfolios difficult and somewhat impossible. However - your perspective points to self-improvement which is something I can embrace...so thanks for mentioning that.

More to follow as the season progresses...

JC

Thanks

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:02 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Football - my goals this season

Good luck JC. Admirable approach!

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:55 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Football - my goals this season

Good luck JC. Sounds like you are well on your way to a successful fall...and beyond!
Can't wait to see your growth this season through your images.

Billy-

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:53 PM
JimBowman
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Football - my goals this season

Awesome thread and I can definitely related to #1-5 in your list. All things I am working on as well for this coming season.

Eric pretty much nailed it - I look at photos from last year compared to a few I have taken last year and I think the majority of the ones I took last year sucked. Mostly had to do with PP and over-editing photos or screwing with the exposure when it mattered instead of testing it first like an intelligent person.

Looking forward to seeing what you think at the end of the season - maybe we will compare notes =)

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:27 PM
rsartin
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Football - my goals this season

I like the goals! Mine is to survive the season

Aug 19, 2014 at 02:49 PM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Football - my goals this season

@ lhryshko - thanks. I'm confident...however...got to be able to weather the entire storm. I'm sure ups and downs are in the forecast!

@ BillyHurst - thanks as well. I hope so and will be keeping everyone updated...regardless of the ups and downs. Look forward to your expertise regarding future postings.

@ Skullcrusher - yup...Eric's post got me thinking as well....especially explaining the sensation of looking at previous photos. Wow..serve up the Hatorade. With that....looking to improve! Compare notes Absolutely...not sure what your goals and adventures are...but please let me know and willing to be a sounding board.

@ rsartin - not a bad goal at all!!! I've added it to my overall goal....SURVIVE!!!

Aug 19, 2014 at 03:33 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Football - my goals this season

JC-
Admirable approach. Minor additions- none of them really new...
A. Don't be afraid to PP IF necessary. Better to improve the image than claim SooC. (IE- 2 and 5 above on my iPad Air could use a small increase (brighter) to the shadows
B. you mentioned shooting goals for Business and grassroots growth. But, you didn't mention your target customer or employer. I think this matters a lot in adjusting some of the shots you go after. If shooting for a publication or school, Action shots and atmosphere will likely do better than individual player sportstrait or action. Unlike posters or photos targeted toward parents who typically do not want other players in the shot with only a few exceptions.

Guy

Aug 19, 2014 at 07:41 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Football - my goals this season

Mr. Calhoun,

First of all, thank you for your thoughtful and well-reasoned list of goals for the season. The fact that you took the time to spell these out and post them publicly shows your commitment to your craft. It also will inspire others to do the same.

The fact that you mentioned me at the top of your comments is flattering, and I'm not sure I qualify as a mentor. The thing that I really find interesting is that in the comments that follow your original post are from guys I have talked to extensively over the years about how to improve. Eric, Billy, Larry, Randy and dozens of other pros like them are the reason I keep coming back to FM every day and try to give back whenever I can.

Keep on pluggin'. You are going to be a rock star. I just hope you still take my calls.

Rick

Aug 21, 2014 at 06:46 AM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Football - my goals this season

@ gschlact - good points, thanks. PP is a weakness for me...so looking to continuously improve in that as well as the overall workflow to get shots from camera, organized and processed to their best, and distributed as needed. Marketing is another thing I'll be discovery-learning as I move along. I feel I ideas on how to target my efforts....such as high school seniors since they were the bulk of my sells last season. But totally understand...I need to evolve and be flexible to cater to new business opportunities.

@ rddayton - again, thanks for your continual advice and yes...you are an excellent mentor. Yup...I agree with the supporting comments from the community as well...I figured I would post my goals to solicit ideas or thoughts I may have overlooked...which I did, so I've edited my list.

Got to shoot the scrimmage game last night to work on my tactics is, techniques, and processes (TTPs). Still have a few things to work on to get the most out of my new gear as well as PP techniques to increase 'POP' and reduce noise.

Attached one from last night and once it settles down here in the house...will start working my TTPs for noise reduction within LR.

Again - thanks to everyone and look forward to updating soon.

© jpc photo 2014

#6 (Processed in LR with no NR)

Aug 23, 2014 at 09:09 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.