New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2014 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

Don Clary
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

If D810 beats 5DIII almost in every category and it is priced $200 lower, doesn't that make for a strong case against the Canon price?

Actually, no. View both cameras as entire systems, including lenses. As I wrote in another thread:

"I think the used equipment market gives an unbiased opinion of competing cameras.

When I viewed the specs of D800 and 5DIII 28 months ago, and saw that 5DIII was priced $500 higher, I thought that that was insane. I said to myself that within a year or so, a used 5DIII would be priced $500 lower than D800. That didn't happen. A 5DIII is still priced substantially higher today.

Time will tell how well D810 competes with 5D3, and soon it will have to compete with 5D4.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:27 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

Well, I know probably MAP price will drop after Photokina (as well as the used market), BUT, I just placed my order.

They *are* an authorized dealer and selling new (kit box) 5D3 bodies for $2899.99 (no tax and free shipping)

I did exhaustive research and they have a very decent reputation and were very kind on the phone (NY outift).

Paid with PayPal (and AmExp).

Will keep you updated on the progress. Should ship later today.

You have to call them directly (Canon does not allow advertising lower than the MAP price of $3400).

We will see.

FWIW, Canon has the refurbs for $2750 or so, and 10% off with CLP (send in an old broken Canon).

I would have done this, but after tax, the savings would have been under $350 for a refurb vs. new.

greg

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

CONGRATS!!!

Did you use the Canon Price Watch service? Could you leave a quick review of the service if you used it?

Or did you just call directly?

Thanks!

+++

I just bought a Canon 6D imported body that arrived Monday.

That is not the greatest timing. I have been trying to wait until after OPhotokina to buy - this is about the worst possible time to buy.

It was a good price and I can use it. I don't mind too much if it costs me $200 to own it for a few months.

I just **know** that I am going to want to pre-order, buy, & try Canon's newest camera! I have done that before and blogged about it a bit, it was fun. It did cost me a bit to be one of the very first to receive one, about 2 days after they first started shipping.

Have fun!
M.

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:53 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

Used the Canon Price Watch service

It was quick, painless, and a pleasure.

I cannot post the vendor here, but can send anybody to the contact person via PM

aloha

greg

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:56 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

Good to know about the Canon Price Watch "Street Price" service.

Their web site doesn't always have links in all places where you think they would.

Here is a list of all of the "street prices" they are tracking:

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/street-prices/

These are the best "available" prices that customers have received, considering that MAP now prevents most retailers from showing a better price than Canon's MAP price.

I assume that the retailer pays Canon Price Watch for the lead/sale, with no charge to the buyer?

Cheers!

Aug 19, 2014 at 02:10 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

http://thenewcamera.com/canon-5d-mark-iv-is-not-coming-in-2014/

Aug 19, 2014 at 05:15 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

Imagemaster wrote:
http://thenewcamera.com/canon-5d-mark-iv-is-not-coming-in-2014/

Meh ... a little overstated by that site. Dealers really don't know anything!

They are just frustrated because no-one is buying while waiting for Photokina. Although I don't expect a 5D4 this fall. I do expect one in the spring. But that is based on nothing except one site - Petapixel? - that said the new sensor will "obsolete" the current line, and they expected a 5D4 in February & a 1DX in March.

I just looked at the Canon Refurb Store. The 7D, 70D, T5i, and SL1 are on sale. Any hints there

Aug 19, 2014 at 06:22 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

Who said they knew anything? Calumet said they will take back your mk3 if a mk4 comes out this year.

And what do refurbished models have to to with anything? New 7D sales are already being discontinued by some retailers. What hint do you think that is

Aug 19, 2014 at 08:32 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

mmurph wrote:
I just looked at the Canon Refurb Store. The 7D, 70D, T5i, and SL1 are on sale. Any hints there

Refurbished models are sold long after those new models have been discontinued.

Aug 19, 2014 at 08:36 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

mmurph wrote:
Meh ... a little overstated by that site. Dealers really don't know anything!

They are just frustrated because no-one is buying while waiting for Photokina. Although I don't expect a 5D4 this fall. I do expect one in the spring. But that is based on nothing except one site - Petapixel? - that said the new sensor will "obsolete" the current line, and they expected a 5D4 in February & a 1DX in March.

Lots of returns by the smartphone generation because of a lack of face recognition algorithms in phrase detect focus...

Aug 19, 2014 at 08:51 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

A 6D is on my to-get list for 2015 but I may just hunker down and see where Canon does with the next 5D iteration, heck I've waited this long for a killer FF body, might just grab a 5Dc for grins; just to hold me over

Can't wait for Photokina, but I will

I do hope all who want the 7D2 get a beast of a shooter!

Aug 19, 2014 at 09:10 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

Imagemaster wrote:
Who said they knew anything? Calumet said they will take back

The New Camera web site. This is the conclusion they came to:

" Canon 5D Mark IV is Not Coming in 2014

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

StillFingerz wrote:
A 6D is on my to-get list for 2015 but I may just hunker down and see where Canon does with the next 5D iteration, heck I've waited this long for a killer FF body, might just grab a 5Dc for grins; just to hold me over

Can't wait for Photokina, but I will

I do hope all who want the 7D2 get a beast of a shooter!

It will be a rather small beast with the EF-S sensor.

EBH

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:54 PM
mhp_sd
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

Like Greg, I used CPW to buy a 6d at a very good price. The NY vendor was very helpful and I received the camera promptly.

Unfortunately, it had LCD issues.

With no hassle at all, they sent a new replacement unit.

Can't ask for better than that. I will use CPW again.

Mark

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

mmurph wrote:
The New Camera web site. This is the conclusion they came to:

" Canon 5D Mark IV is Not Coming in 2014

No kidding. Who said it was

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:51 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

mhp_sd wrote:
Like Greg, I used CPW to buy a 6d at a very good price. The NY vendor was very helpful and I received the camera promptly.

Unfortunately, it had LCD issues.

With no hassle at all, they sent a new replacement unit.

Can't ask for better than that. I will use CPW again.

Mark

I am very optimistic.

I was actually on hold with Canon about to pull the trigger on a refurb with the CLP. Price was under $2450 which seemed worth it seeing that it had a 1 year warranty.

After tax added, it jumped more than $100. So the difference was under $350 to get a new one, so that is what I did.

I could have gone either way, but thought it was a better decision to get the new one and not have to send in my (not really working) 5Dc with the CLP.

I will keep updating this thread, camera due to me Thurs.

greg

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:29 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

EB-1 wrote:
It will be a rather small beast with the EF-S sensor.

EBH

Most are figuring on an aps-c sensor, the much anticipated 7D upgrade, I won't be getting one, as a 1D2N and 7D fit what I want/need at the moment, just wishing smiling faces for those who have wanted it...my 40D even has it's strong points and my hobbyist needs aren't top drawer, except for my liking f4L glass...I'm kinda middle tier as gear goes

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:34 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

UPDATE:

5D3 Arrived, 100% new, US version from authorized dealer.

Price - $2899, no tax, free UPS 2nd day air.

So thankful that I did a bit of research before paying $3400 (I was just about to).

greg

Aug 22, 2014 at 01:49 AM
a_dee

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

Good price. I too was surprised how high prices were, especially with all the taxes we have up here in Canada BC (12%). So I bought the 24-105 kit out from Calgary where it was only 5% tax where I price matched Broadway camera and saved 7% immediately. I also used my credit card and got back 1.5%plus extra year of warranty. I then sold the kit lens for $775 which was $250 profit. Bottom line price was $2800 CDN or something like $2550 USD.

gheller wrote:
UPDATE:

5D3 Arrived, 100% new, US version from authorized dealer.

Price - $2899, no tax, free UPS 2nd day air.

So thankful that I did a bit of research before paying $3400 (I was just about to).

greg

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:08 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

It might be worthwhile to start a thread to tell people about the Canon Price Watch "Street Price" service?

Your call! I haven't used it, so I don't think I should. You could also post what they wrote about MAP. We have had those discussions in the past. Henry Posner from B&H sometimes posts to update us on MAP and how it affects sales. I know he told us these restrictions were coming in March.

I didn't realize how homogenous the prices were, or know how to get around it.

Anyway- congratulations!!! I hope you have a lot of fun with the 5DIII. I •• just bought •• a Canon 6D a week ago, despite my best intentions to wait until after Photokina.

Cheers!
Michael

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:26 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.