Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

gheller
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

An update to those following this thread.

Original topic was how 5d3 prices were still very high 2.5 years after introduction

===========================

Mostly out of frustration, I post this query.

Any idea of why the price of the 5D III is still $3400

I am about to pull the trigger and with this body being on the market for so long, I am amazed that it hasn't dropped more.

Of course, as soon as I hit the "Place Order" button, the price will globally drop by 30%

Anyway, more of a rant, I need this body yesterday, so can't wait for Photokina, etc.

Any follow up rants are welcome!

Aloha

greg

Edited on Aug 22, 2014 at 06:51 AM · View previous versions

Aug 18, 2014 at 06:18 PM
mitesh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

Won't take long for this thread to go south. Just wait for the usual "Nikon/Sony have better DR/resolution, Canon are asleep/don't innovate/are overpriced" crowd to show up.

Aug 18, 2014 at 06:28 PM
4x4rock
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

There are many places selling it for $2500 or so.

Aug 18, 2014 at 06:37 PM
tonytastic
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

The body definitely has dropped in Canada but you need to know where to look.

There is a handful of places selling the 5D3 body only for around the 3k mark (tax on top).

That being said, it would have been nice for the body to drop in price faster; I've picked up a 2nd 5D3 recently and even with the half a million threads about how much better the new Sony/Nikon sensors are, the camera has been a dream to work with for events and weddings.

Aug 18, 2014 at 06:48 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

I agree that prices seem to be holding strong. You see the same deals from 6 months after it came out until now. The best bet on getting a deal on the 5D3 is refurb through CLP, grey market deals and used. Until this day nothing will beat the 30% off refurb 1-day sale through Canon on 1/1/13, which the 5D3 particpated in.

Aug 18, 2014 at 06:57 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

All camera prices seem high to me, bargains seem much harder find (certainly over here) unless you go grey market.

But the main reason is because the 5D3 is an exceptional camera that meets most users needs, plus it hasn't been replaced.

The 6D has very similar IQ (and is better at high ISO) but it does lack many of the 5D3 pro features for those that need them.

Aug 18, 2014 at 07:03 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

I seem to see it every other week going for $2500. You might want to subscribe to CanonPriceWatch to save google clicks.

Aug 18, 2014 at 07:16 PM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

You can get it much cheaper than $3400. Heck, back in 2012 I bought one new for $2800.

Aug 18, 2014 at 07:45 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

It is available through the Canon refurbished site for $2700. You'll have to add your state sales tax though if you have it.

Canon Refurbished Site

There used to be a Canon loyalty program that people would talk about but I don't know if it still exists.

I've ordered three lenses through the refurnished site and they all look new to me. Not one blemish on any of them. If you are looking to save some money it is a good route to take. Still get the Canon 1 year warranty.

Aug 18, 2014 at 07:54 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

There was a grey market/import sale that just ended on eBay for $2,559:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/08/deal-canon-eos-6d-body-1399/

The price has now gone up to $2,699

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151109057831

"This camera is a direct import from Japan - it is exactly the same as the USA model, meaning there is no technical difference - all cameras are manufactured in the same factories in Japan by the same workers. Only 2 differences exist:

1. Display language – This model display languages are: English, Japanese & Chinese

2. Direct import models do not carry the 1 year limited manufacturer warranty . Instead, the deal offered here includes a 1 year seller warranty covering your camera body and providing the same coverage against manufacturer defects as the manufacturer warranty."

Canon Price Watch has a reputation report on getitdigital here:

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/ebay-feedback/

+++

Canon Price Watch tracks prices. You can see the price history here:

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/03868/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-price.html

They are saying that they can get you a new 5DIII with USA warranty for $2,899 (see pic below.)

They also show the Canon Store refurbished body as $2,710, plus tax, as mentioned above.

So it really come down to" How much is the USA warranty worth to you? $200-$350??

+++

I bought a 5DIII in October of 2012 for $2,700.

It is amazing how much both the new and used have retained their price! It looks like I could sell that now used for $2,300 to $2,400, for a net cost of $300-$400 for almost 2 years of use.

That is only about $150-$200 per year use a great camera. Pretty incredible!

+++

I am a little concerned about them maintaining the price though. Nikon are rumored to be releasing a full frame "action camera." Essentially a competitor to the rumored 7DII.

What if the "7DII" is also full frame? Or what if there are 2 cameras coming, a crop and a full frame? Or if the new sensor is just that good at base ISO that everyone wants it, for "better color."

I don't mean to derail your thread!! I just have to document my random thoughts, so that I can claim that I am brilliant if they come true. I just say the opposite thing in another forum, then point to the one that is right. Look at me - a Futurist!!

Cheers!
Michael

Aug 18, 2014 at 09:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

wait till the mark4, then prices will plummet

Aug 18, 2014 at 09:54 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

Absolutely don't want an import (recently bought and *returned* one here after finding out it was not US version).

From my exhaustive search, there are no reputable (read: authorized) dealers selling anywhere near $3K for a US version.

greg

Aug 19, 2014 at 02:02 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

gheller wrote:
Absolutely don't want an import (recently bought and *returned* one here after finding out it was not US version).

From my exhaustive search, there are no reputable (read: authorized) dealers selling anywhere near $3K for a US version.

greg

Haha, they're all imports as the 5D3 is made in Japan. Also, there is no USA version. All cameras are the same. The official USA distributor simply includes a card with USA/Canada stamped on it. The odd thing around that is, when I was traveling in Asian and needed warranty service, Canon Korea blew me off. A few months later I was stateside but the warranty was up. So not a terribly useful warranty anyway.

Aug 19, 2014 at 02:18 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

It is pretty amazing that the price has been so stable. You might want to try this site:

https://www.greentoe.com/

I haven't purchased anything through the site and really don't know that much about it. But, it allows you haggle price with various authorized dealers directly and will give you an idea how low they will go. I've been buying a lot of Canon refurb gear directly from Canon ... that is another option. What would be a good price from your perspective from a quality US dealer?

Aug 19, 2014 at 02:35 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

You can't find a lower price because Canon is enforcing MAP - Minimum Advertised Price.

Canon Price Watch is saying that the average street price for a USA version from an authorized dealer is $2,899.

You can either:

1.) Fill out a form and have them try to negotiate for you, or

2.) Call around and try to get it for that price.

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/03868/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-price.html

+++

I am not recommending them. I have never dealt with them. But if you want to get a lower price, you are going to have to do the research and understand how the pricing system, works.

If you just walk in and buy it, you will pay $3,399.

+++

Street Price

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/blog/faq-street-prices/

Why the secrecy?

As you may be aware, as of April 2014, Canon USA is now enforcing a strict Minimum Advertised Price on all lenses and bodies. This means authorized Canon dealers cannot (under any circumstances) advertise a price below this minimum advertised price. This doesn't stop dealers from having deals and specials, it just prevents them from telling you about it.

Dealers can’t even use the old “Add to Cart” trick to tell you about their lower prices, thus the “Street Price” was created. It enables the Canon community to share knowledge of these deals (while allowing the dealer to remain MAP compliant).

We ask that you please do not identify the retailer in a public way (comment posts on our blog, forums, etc.) as it helps ensure we can continue to do these deals going forward.

Aug 19, 2014 at 02:49 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

Remember when the (awesome) 1Ds Mark III came out with a listed price of $8999 (if I recall correctly)?

The 5D Mark III is a better camera than the 1Ds Mark III in at least 90% of photography-related things I care about & is only moderately worse in the other 5-10% of photography-related things I care about.

The 5D Mark III was introduced at what I consider a bargain price (given how much money it can earn you) & is still one of the best FF all-in-one value propositions IMO.

..that said, I'm super happy to have recently re-purchased a 1Ds Mark III & still prefer the dinosaur for my needs

Aug 19, 2014 at 06:12 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

Gochugogi wrote:

..now I want bulgogi, and something covered in gochujang.

Aug 19, 2014 at 06:35 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

I was surprised when I logged onto Adorama and found them at 3499.

Aug 19, 2014 at 02:19 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

gheller wrote:
Mostly out of frustration, I post this query.

Any idea of why the price of the 5D III is still $3400

I am about to pull the trigger and with this body being on the market for so long, I am amazed that it hasn't dropped more.

Of course, as soon as I hit the "Place Order" button, the price will globally drop by 30%

Anyway, more of a rant, I need this body yesterday, so can't wait for Photokina, etc.

Any follow up rants are welcome!

Aloha

greg

Do not buy a 5D3 until AFTER September 21st. (unless you can get one used at a great price). The Canon DSLR picture should be clearer after that date. Used 5D3's and 6D's at good prices are still great buys because regardless of what happens at photokina they are still really good DSLR bodies and you will probably be able to sell them for what you paid. (again, if you bought used at a good price)

Aug 19, 2014 at 02:58 PM
bgbs
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Received! New US 5d3 @ $2899

Well....Come on. If D810 beats 5DIII almost in every category and it is priced $200 lower, doesn't that make for a strong case against the Canon price?

mitesh wrote:

Won't take long for this thread to go south. Just wait for the usual "Nikon/Sony have better DR/resolution, Canon are asleep/don't innovate/are overpriced" crowd to show up.

Aug 19, 2014 at 03:34 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password