Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

phuoctue
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

Please check the images below. Looks like I am shooting on a purple leaves trees. Actually they are rubber trees.

Are these normal on Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 wide open - Or did I lucky enough to have a tough lightning condition?

Please click on the link to see the images on Flickr.

Taken at F2 - The most terrible fringing

Taken at F2 -

Taken at F1.4 - Fringing looks less or might be the sun was covered by the cloud, hence less light penetrating through the trees

Taken at f1.4 -

Can I have your opinions please? I am a bit confused here.
I read reviews and aware that this lens is prone to fringing at high contrast areas but this seem to be too much from my expectation...

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:56 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

You might want to ask your question on the Alternative Gear and Lenses Forum. You might find more users of this lens and any associated issues there.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:16 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

I can't speak to your particular lens since I have never used it, but your photos contain the classic cause of purple fringing, areas of sharply delineated contrast between very dark subjects and blown out subjects. If I had a nickel for every photograph with dark branches against blown out sky with purple fringing... ;-)

Some lenses control this better than others, but virtually any lens can exhibit the issue if the contrast is extreme enough. Aside from using a different lens — assuming that one currently uses a lens more prone to the effect — there are a few ways of diminishing the problem:

1. Expose for the highlights and avoid or minimize blowing them out, and then...

2. Either use various controls in post to recover the less than optimally exposed dark areas of the scene, or...

3. If the subject permits it and you don't mind, use exposure blending to get better exposure in the dark areas, or...

4. If the subject permits it and you prefer, try a GND filter to control the brightness in the lightest areas.

5. Use post-processing controls which have now advanced to the point that they can often do an effective job of reducing or eliminating purple fringing.

6. In extreme cases, consider some manual post processing techniques that involve masks, desaturation, and so forth.

I expect that some folks with experience with your specific lens will also weigh in before long — a number of them frequent this forum. (And do take "mogud's" advice about posting in the alt forum.)

Good luck,

Dan

Edited on Aug 18, 2014 at 12:14 PM · View previous versions

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM
phuoctue
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

Thanks you very much.
I will re-post this to the other alt forum as suggested.
Dan - Thanks for your details explanation and solutions.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:03 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

This is one of the cases when the limited DR has hit your sensor, not the lens. You don't have too much room to map your tone curves.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

I've had this lens, and I'm afraid this is normal. The Zeiss 35/1.4 has great bokeh and color rendition, practically no lateral CA and is very sharp when stopped down a bit. But the one downside is quite significant axial CA (fringing at high contrast edges in out of focus areas). Most fast lenses have that to some extent, but this one has more than other 35/1.4 lenses that I tried. But this goes largely away when stopping down, it's only a problem below f/2.8 or so.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:46 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

Note: only sky highlights have been distorted in this case. None the main trunk highlights have the same effects so it should be DR issue but not mainly by the lens CA.

Aug 19, 2014 at 04:44 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

mttran wrote:
Note: only sky highlights have been distorted in this case. None the main trunk highlights have the same effects so it should be DR issue but not mainly by the lens CA.

I'm wondering how far back the lens was focused; typically the purple/magenta fringing is going to occur in high-contrast areas between the lens and the plane of focus, with green fringing behind.

Aug 19, 2014 at 04:53 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

mttran wrote:

That should be easy to check: Axial CA goes away when stopping down the lens, while the sensor DR stays the same of course. So if the OP can do a comparison shot at f/4 (where in my experience with this lens the axial CA is gone), and it's indeed gone then it's a lens issue.

Aug 19, 2014 at 08:03 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

Unless the lens has the word Otus in the name, yes it's normal

Aug 19, 2014 at 09:16 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Unless the lens has the word Otus in the name, yes it's normal

Or APO?

Though admittedly few lenses with that designation subjectively are APO, and even fewer are objectively .

Aug 19, 2014 at 09:57 PM
jffielde
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

I agree that it is normal behavior for this lens.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:35 PM
phuoctue
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

Thanks so much you guys for pointing things out and how to overcome this.
SO I believe that we decided to stay with Zeiss because of its unique color rendition capability? ANything else I should praise?
Without this, seem that this lens does not meet up expectation - not to mention perfection - if shooting wide open at f1.4 or f2
Hope Zeiss would start to modify the optics formula soon before the folks with gear addition and value-for-money-awareness move to Sigma Art series.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

Without this, seem that this lens does not meet up expectation - not to mention perfection - if shooting wide open at f1.4 or f2

What? Say it ain't so! A Zeiss less than perfect? It cannot be! Goodbye cruel world...

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:38 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Color fringing - Is it normal for a Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 ZE?

phuoctue wrote:
Hope Zeiss would start to modify the optics formula soon before the folks with gear addition and value-for-money-awareness move to Sigma Art series.

They have; it's their 'Otus' line, and their new 135/2 APO isn't bad either .

And note that one Zeiss lens is not another Zeiss lens; pick a Zeiss if it's the right lens for the job, pick something else if it isn't.

Aug 20, 2014 at 04:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.