Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Rules & Guidelines | Uninsured Payment Alert!
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

NEVER use Paypal Gift, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay or any other uninsured payment!

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · FS: Panasonic DMC-ZS40K + Charger + 2 extra batteries new

kevinsullivan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FS: Panasonic DMC-ZS40K + Charger + 2 extra batteries new

Item updated in the last 24 hours Item price reduced in the last 24 hours   Panasonic DMC-ZS40K + Charger + 2 extra batteries new

Available

Price: $369.00
Payment method: PayPal
Item condition: 10 Preowned equipment, but appears as new

My wife took a 3 week trip to Mozambique and South Africa in July. I did quite a bit of research before settling on this camera for her. The criteria were (1) completely pocketable, (2) long zoom for wildlife, (3) raw mode and full manual control, (4) good IQ given all the other constraints. This was the camera best satisfying these constraints. The 30X zoom reaches the equivalent of over 600mm (obviously with some tradeoffs, but that's what was needed). She used it lightly for 3 weeks and shot a few hundred images. I paid $438 for the camera. It's now $399 on Amazon. From the manufacturer, (astonishingly) the camera does not include a stand-alone charger (you have to plug the camera into the wall)! I paid $26 on Amazon for a charger and two extra batteries, included. The extra batteries are unused. The camera looks and works like new. It wasn't exposed to any harsh conditions.

I rarely rate used equipment at 10, but this really is practically new out of the box. To buy this pair today would cost $425. My price is $369 including shipping and fees, in box, with all the "original stuff" + charger, batteries. That's a significant discount off of the new prices. I will provide you with original receipts, and so the camera should still be under warranty. (I haven't checked the details.)

As to the camera itself, it performed well for my wife. She never would have carried a DSLR and long lens. She wouldn't carry my M4/3 unit. It had to fit in the pocket. And she never would have gotten the wildlife pictures she did with a 3X point-and-shoot or RX100-type camera. So, it worked, and reasonably well. It has a point and shoot size sensor -- a good one, but still P&S, so there's noise in shadows and at ISOs over 400 or so, as you'd expect. She was very pleased nevertheless and is planning on produce a printed book for the trip. It's a very nice point and shoot camera.

Attached are a few images I took a few days ago, of dancers from a local troupe doing a performance at a nearby winery. The images are at most lightly cropped, and developed in Lightroom as usual. As you can see, the camera is capable of producing nice results, and having the equivalent of a 600+mm zoom is pretty cool (field of view, not bokeh, of course).

Aug 18, 2014 at 01:20 AM
kevinsullivan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FS: Panasonic DMC-ZS40K + Charger + 2 extra batteries new

Low-ball offer of $340 turned down; sorry cewers.

Aug 28, 2014 at 09:01 AM

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.