New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Gaspe Peninsula

JCnflies
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gaspe Peninsula

Hi everybody. I realize that this might not be a popular photography destination, but I hope some of you have been here. It is beautiful by all accounts. I will be leaving soon for five days of flyfishing for Atlantic salmon fishing and photography - though the photography will have to be worked in around the fishing I do have an evening without fishing, too. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything special in the area that I really ought to shoot. Also, we will be driving from the NY/Canada border to the Gaspe region and was wondering if there is anything worth stopping at on the way. Thanks

Aug 17, 2014 at 07:28 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gaspe Peninsula

I made the circle drive in 2006 and enjoyed it. I was in an RV and stopped at various places. Along the way were numerous scenic churches, which always appeal to me. Also, we found several neat lighthouses on or fairly close to the road. The rocky banks of the St Lawrence were fun to shoot, especially at sunset. Quebec City has a lot to offer, if you plan to go there. We had been before and loved it both times. A bus tour there helped us get familiar with the city, then we drove back on our own. Montreal is another place previously visited, but it is good for several days.

The town of Perce has great scenery, including Perce Rock. You can walk out to the rock at low tide, then scurry back before being stranded as the tide comes up. A boat ride to Bonaventure Island was a favorite. It takes you by the nesting area for northern gannets...several hundred thousand of them. If you have the time, you can get off and visit the island, including a hike to a much closer view of the gannets.

There were lots of colorful towns/villages, but I don't remember specifics. The people were nice, despite the language barrier. It was easy to find satisfactory campgrounds, whose staffs generally spoke English.

We went on to tour NB, NS and NL. Any or all of those are highly recommended. Obviously, you don't have the time for all I mentioned, but I still included everything so you can choose, based on your interests and where you will be. I think you will enjoy it.

Aug 17, 2014 at 07:49 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gaspe Peninsula

If you go to Perce and have a morning or afternoon I would highly recommend taking the ferry over to Bonaventure Island. It has the worlds largest Gannet nesting colony. From the boat dock its a 45 min hike but well worth the effort. Some of my pics and additional info can be found here.
Dave

Aug 17, 2014 at 08:26 PM
JCnflies
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gaspe Peninsula

Thanks guys If I happen to arrive early enough on Wednesday, I just mighty take that ferry over. If not, I will surely keep it in mind for next t imd. The small town churches and Perce Rock should be easy to fit in Thanks so much.

Aug 18, 2014 at 08:16 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.