New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Stork Delivery - CC pls

codroy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stork Delivery - CC pls

We have been blessed with a baby boy recently. I am a wildlife photographer and don't do much people photography apart from family events or such. However I want to improve my skills at people photography with an intent to snap and record my little son's moments.
Also first couple of shots are from my old Nikon D5000. I recently acquired a D800e and have been shooting with it since then (still adjusting to the full frame format).
I am sure there are many areas for me to improve and I would love to hear from you guys so that I would work on those in the future.

1. What I don't like: Texture of blanket, wrinkles on the blanket next to head

D5000, 50mm, f/2, ISO 200, Natural light

2. What I don't like: New father shopping, didn't get the hat size right

D5000, 50mm, f/2, ISO 200, Natural light

3. What I don't like: The hand in foreground slightly covering face

D800e, 50mm, f/2, ISO 400, Natural light

Aug 17, 2014 at 05:29 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stork Delivery - CC pls

I probably don't know what I'm talking about so feel free to totally disregard all of this :-) lol

#1 crop off the left and just get rid of it. Also, consider cropping off some of the top as well. In my mind, I'm placing your sons eyes at about the upper 1/3 intersection. Maybe a tad towards the middle.

#2 kind of agree about the hat size. It tends to dominate the image (IMO) as it's the closest to the camera and it's big

#3 I don't mind his hand in front of his face. Babies move and their hands and feet are constantly moving. To me, that's part of the fun :-)

Overall, I don't think any of them belong in the trash and in a few more months you'll look back on them even more fondly :-)

Aug 17, 2014 at 07:40 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stork Delivery - CC pls

Im of no help.. I just want to say Congratulations! What a cutie!!

Aug 17, 2014 at 08:51 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stork Delivery - CC pls

I like #1 best. Nice DOF and he looks great in that beanie/hat. The blanket texture is fine but consider choosing a contrasting colored blanket instead of the same color as in the beanie

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:20 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stork Delivery - CC pls

# 1 for me. What a Beautiful baby, and Congratulations. Personally, I like the monotone in number one, but I think you should fix the wrinkles. It would only take a couple of minutes.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:47 AM
codroy
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stork Delivery - CC pls

Jonathan Brady wrote:
I probably don't know what I'm talking about so feel free to totally disregard all of this :-) lol

#1 crop off the left and just get rid of it. Also, consider cropping off some of the top as well. In my mind, I'm placing your sons eyes at about the upper 1/3 intersection. Maybe a tad towards the middle.

#2 kind of agree about the hat size. It tends to dominate the image (IMO) as it's the closest to the camera and it's big

#3 I don't mind his hand in front of his face. Babies move and their hands and
...Show more

Thanks for your inputs Jonathan. I was initially planning not to use the second hat as a prop but I just loved its design so went ahead with it anyways

Aug 18, 2014 at 02:41 PM
codroy
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stork Delivery - CC pls

docsmiles17 wrote:
I like #1 best. Nice DOF and he looks great in that beanie/hat. The blanket texture is fine but consider choosing a contrasting colored blanket instead of the same color as in the beanie

Will definitely try to incorporate your suggestion in the next shoot. He is growing fast so his next "on-blanket" shoot will need to be planned soon
Appreciate your suggestion!!
---------------------------------------------

Kathy White wrote:
# 1 for me. What a Beautiful baby, and Congratulations. Personally, I like the monotone in number one, but I think you should fix the wrinkles. It would only take a couple of minutes.

Thanks Kathy! I was planning to edit the wrinkles but kept it since i didn't want to touch it up much. But will edit it and see how it goes.

Edited on Aug 18, 2014 at 02:49 PM · View previous versions

Aug 18, 2014 at 02:48 PM
codroy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stork Delivery - CC pls

NYstyles wrote:
Im of no help.. I just want to say Congratulations! What a cutie!!

Thank you NYstyles..!!

Aug 18, 2014 at 02:48 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stork Delivery - CC pls

Congratulations. He is very adorable. We are often our toughest critics. 1 and 2 are my favorites. Because he is so cute, I never noticed the wrinkles. The over sized hat to me makes the photo even better. We never expect anything to fit a newborn .

Aug 18, 2014 at 05:11 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.