New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Instructions for turning off sleep mode on Canon Flash Units

JayDavis
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Instructions for turning off sleep mode on Canon Flash Units

Hi,

I currently have a Canon 550EX, a Canon 580EX flash and I've got another Canon 600EX-RT coming via UPS
this week.

I have "googled" how to turn off the sleep mode for both of the older flashes and I can't find any help via YouTube
videos to match what I need.

Yes, there is a video about how to turn off the sleep mode, but the guy doing it, has a Canon 5D Mark II and I've
got the newer Mark III version.

I've searched the manuals and I can't find it either.

Is there a way to permanently turn off the sleep mode? The reason I ask this, is that I have projects that I work
on that "need" the flash units to be ready to fire without going to sleep, once I get my set-up correct for what I am
shooting.

Any ideas, tips and answers will be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Aug 17, 2014 at 03:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Instructions for turning off sleep mode on Canon Flash Units

For the 600EX-RT, it would be Custom Function C.Fn-01 (Auto power off), set to 1 (off).

Aug 17, 2014 at 04:11 PM
JayDavis
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Instructions for turning off sleep mode on Canon Flash Units

Thanks jcolwell, I appreciate your help with this. I'm getting the new 600EX-RT this week.

Any idea how to make the older flash units quit going into sleep mode?

Aug 17, 2014 at 04:34 PM
rrwingnut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Instructions for turning off sleep mode on Canon Flash Units

On the 580EX it's Custom Function C.Fn-14 (Auto power off), set to 1 (off).

Aug 17, 2014 at 04:42 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Instructions for turning off sleep mode on Canon Flash Units

I've also owned the 580EX and 580EX II flash. The "II" has the same C.Fn-01 (Auto power off) capability. The 580EX manual describes a confusing combination of "slave unit" power off and master unit cancellation options, but they aren't directly relevant (I think - did I mention that they're confusing?).

What's your task and your intended flash setup? I've found that there's nothing like a shock up the wazoo to get a flash to flash - i.e. set everything to M, and use cords or optical peanuts. OTOH, the manual flash approach can't adjust for things like changing ambient light.

Aug 17, 2014 at 04:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Instructions for turning off sleep mode on Canon Flash Units

rrwingnut wrote:
On the 580EX it's Custom Function C.Fn-14 (Auto power off), set to 1 (off).

Obviously, my attention span is shorter than is required to get to the bottom part of the 580EX manual Custom Function Settings table on page 28 of the 580EX manual

Aug 17, 2014 at 04:57 PM
JayDavis
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Instructions for turning off sleep mode on Canon Flash Units

jcolwell,

Actually, from reading the owner's manual, on page 28 of the 580EX model, it looks to me as it is C.Fn-14 which is Auto Power Off activation. It is set to "on" and I went and turned it "off".

I want someone to possibly verify that I'm correct on this?

My task is this, from time to time, I'm hired to photograph an aircraft at night. I want to set up my three
flash units behind all three wheel wells and then when I finally get the shot set up, I want to fire the flashes
with my pocket wizards.

The first time I tried this, at least one, possibly two of the units had gone into "sleep mode" before I could
get back to the camera to fire it. Does that make sense in telling you what I am trying to do?

Aug 17, 2014 at 05:05 PM
JayDavis
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Instructions for turning off sleep mode on Canon Flash Units

There are six custom functions for the 550EX, but I don't think turning off sleep mode is an option.

At the end of this link, it does talk about putting the on/off switch to the third position and maybe that is
the one I need to make sure this flash unit doesn't go asleep?

http://web.archive.org/web/20021221145624/www.kjsl.com/~dave/550ex.html

Aug 17, 2014 at 05:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Instructions for turning off sleep mode on Canon Flash Units

JayDavis wrote:
jcolwell,

Actually, from reading the owner's manual, on page 28 of the 580EX model, it looks to me as it is C.Fn-14 which is Auto Power Off activation. It is set to "on" and I went and turned it "off".

I want someone to possibly verify that I'm correct on this?

My task is this, from time to time, I'm hired to photograph an aircraft at night. I want to set up my three
flash units behind all three wheel wells and then when I finally get the shot set up, I want to fire the flashes
with my pocket wizards.

The first time I tried
...Show more

Makes perfect sense. Maybe you can find an assistant. Hopefully a pint ot two would cover the additional expense.

As far as what makes sense for the 580EX, you tell me (I don't have any of them, anymore).

Aug 17, 2014 at 05:20 PM
JayDavis
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Instructions for turning off sleep mode on Canon Flash Units

I set it to number 1, as that shows to turn it "off", so I assume that it won't go to sleep now.

I sure hope so.

Aug 17, 2014 at 08:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Instructions for turning off sleep mode on Canon Flash Units

JayDavis wrote:
...I sure hope so.

Me too.

(no worries, that has to be right)

Aug 17, 2014 at 08:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.