Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · June Wedding - crit please...

nadal22

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · June Wedding - crit please...

Shot a fun wedding in June. It was in a small suburb and limited to just the church location (getting ready, ceremony and reception). Had a tough time (room, lighting) with the getting ready part - so no need to share that

Would appreciate any comments, feedback and criticism. Thanks!

Edited on Nov 15, 2014 at 01:16 PM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2014 at 03:22 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · June Wedding - crit please...

I love shooting wide, but here when I look at the wedding as a whole, it looks empty. The pews in the church look empty, the altar looks empty and even the dance floor shots....make it feel like there were only a handful of people there.

For me, the photos lack intimacy and drama. They're not bad....just need a little something.

Aug 17, 2014 at 03:45 PM
nadal22

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · June Wedding - crit please...

Not sure if I follow your emptiness comment, but thanks for the feedback.

Aug 17, 2014 at 04:57 PM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · June Wedding - crit please...

You gotta learn how to receive feedback...or no one will offer it!

Aug 17, 2014 at 06:18 PM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · June Wedding - crit please...

Not quite seeing the emptiness either, except in 16 which doesn't seem to show anything....

There is a lot I like here. #10 is awesome. #4, 5, 8, 9, 11, 12 do a great job of telling the story of the day.

As for some things to think about.... On #2, if you get a bride in the grass, try not to include the concrete in the picture if you can.

The black and white conversion in #4 doesn't seem to have the same high dynamics of the others Look at the wood in the ceiling over the crucifix and compare that to a shot like #7.

Speaking of #7, it screams for centering to me. Rule of thirds doesn't quite work in a shot like this.

In #8, I think I would either like the background blurred more so that the girl doesn't get lost in the background, or to cut her out. I am confused why the parents are so far left otherwise.

In #5 and #9 It would have been great to have you on the other side if possible. I always try to be so that I am seeing the bride's face more than the groom's. Two reasons for this, the first being she is the bride and it is generally considered her day, and usually the groom is taller so it is easier to see him over her.

The colors in #12 and #13 are different.

I would run another noise reduction pass on #18.

I would like to see the face on #20.

Watch feet on #21.

Finally the sepia in #19 means her dress blends into the floor. For me that is a preference thing.

Of course, please take all of those with a grain of salt. They do tell a story, which is really what you want.

Aug 17, 2014 at 06:39 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · June Wedding - crit please...

I'd rework 13 through 16 (not consistent with the rest), and change the single sepia to B&W. It sticks out like a sore thumb. I didn't see the "emptiness".

Aug 17, 2014 at 06:49 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · June Wedding - crit please...

Since maybe emptiness was a word choice that not everyone is understanding, I'll explain what I see further.

It starts with #1. A big church in the middle of nowhere that's also black and white. It gives me a feeling of being ominous. It's a rather plain building. Maybe plain is a better word than empty. A nicer detail shot of the sign, or church door, or windows may have set the scene better.

I get the wide shot in #6...but the altar looks empty, esp because it's in B&W. The priest on both sides of the altar get lost in the wall and windows directly behind them. The wide aisle and the fact that guests are scattered throughout the pews make the church look empty.

#7. Still shot wide. The composition shows a big chunk of the altar being empty.

#16 is a big room. Not much going on in the photo

#19 The guests are very far away from the couple dancing. There's no designated dance floor, which makes the guests seem even farther away and the dance floor more empty.

#20 Not sure what she's looking at. There's no one behind her. Dancefloor looks empty.

#21 Same issue. Doesn't look like there's alot of people there.

So...that's what I mean when I say I see emptiness. I would suggest using a longer lens, like a 70-200 at 200mm and get that compression/angle of view which will seem to alleviate the distance between the subject and their background. Hope that helps.

Aug 17, 2014 at 07:06 PM
J Knight
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · June Wedding - crit please...

I like the sense of light, air and space in your photos. Quite often in the UK venues are quite old, dark and cramped. Its getting worse here in some ways too - one of the local councils has reduced the size of the Registry Office ceremony area to a single room with space only for the couple and 2 witnesses, which is shameful.

You have got some super moments captured.

Aug 19, 2014 at 04:18 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.