Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 7D video line skipping is annoying ...

Alek Komarnits
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D video line skipping is annoying ...

So I shot

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">a video of my son doing the ALS ice bucket challenge
- man, do these seem to be the rage these days - he was inspired by

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Bill Gate's video.

We had some fun (and challenges) shooting it -

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">here's the Behind The Scenes video
- kinda humorous.

Regardless, what was pretty annoying was how BAD the line skipping on the Canon7D is - presumably this will be fixed in the 7DM2

I have seen this before, but was quite dramatic here in the siding of the house - some still images below that show the "lines" disappearing. The first picture is from the far-away 7D zoomed in with a 70-200/2.8V2, and then especially bad in the closer-in wide-angle 7D with the 17-55/2.8 lens.

Edited on Aug 21, 2014 at 03:31 PM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM
coreybell
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D video line skipping is annoying ...

I would hope they would fix it also, though not noticeable in the roof.
Is that a trash can?? hahaha

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D video line skipping is annoying ...

man you really soaked him!!!!

yeah, it can be annoying. The 7D does it badly, the 6D too I believe. The 5D2 also although a touch less. The 5D3 is the one that is free of that stuff.

Aug 17, 2014 at 02:06 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D video line skipping is annoying ...

Wow, that really looks crappy. I've not used the video on the 7D more than a few seconds. Does the 1D-X video look decent?

EBH

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D video line skipping is annoying ...

EB-1 wrote:
Wow, that really looks crappy. I've not used the video on the 7D more than a few seconds. Does the 1D-X video look decent?

EBH

Yes, the 5d3 and 1dx do not line skip they pixel bin. This info has been around over 2 years.

Aug 18, 2014 at 02:57 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D video line skipping is annoying ...

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Yeah the 1DX looks vastly better than 7D footage (so long as you chose the right frame output, some of the alternate choices I think do get some nasties, but if you use the best choice the 1DX delivers the best in cam video out of all of the DSLRs, clearly better than the 5D3 in cam because they don't blur away so much detail).

That said, since ML is not made for the 1DX, if you are willing to deal with RAW video, then a 5D3 + ML RAW delivers better video than the 1DX for sure.

The native 5D3 video is somewhat disappointing, it's like Canon marketing had them apply a gaussian filter before final write to card or something. Although it is free of the nasty aliasing at least.

The 5D3 ML RAW video is pretty darn awesome though. But it is a bit of a pain to deal with, worth it in the end though, fantastic.

Aug 18, 2014 at 02:33 PM
Alek Komarnits
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D video line skipping is annoying ...

FYI that this footage was shot at 1280x720 at 60fps ... which may have made the line-skipping even worse.

I'm debating where to go 7DM2 (if that is *ever* released!) or make the jump to full frame - thanks for the feedback on those.

Aug 21, 2014 at 03:33 PM
jbooba

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D video line skipping is annoying ...

Noone is shooting 60/720p with Canon. Get a6000.

Aug 21, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Chumma
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D video line skipping is annoying ...

You can shoot great videos with an iPhone 5. I just finished attending a 4-day course on creating production quality videos using just an iPhone. The course was offered by a New York company that produces TV series etc.

Aug 21, 2014 at 09:48 PM
jbregar
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D video line skipping is annoying ...

To be fair, the 7D is also ancient in the video realm. It's still a good camera (one of my best shorts was shot on a 7D), but it's completely outclassed by newer stuff... not to mention the more video-focused cameras (C100, A7s, GH4, etc.) that use full-sensor read-out for video.

When I got the C100, the 7D got relegated to stills only. I finally recently got rid of my 7D for an A7s and never looked back. Fantastic low-light stills, remarkable video, and it's smaller to boot.

Heck, even the new Sony a5100 is full-sensor readout.

I will agree that your samples above show pretty hideous line skipping artifacts.

Edited on Aug 21, 2014 at 11:31 PM · View previous versions

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D video line skipping is annoying ...

Using Magic Lantern you can shoot RAW video with the 7D:
http://www.eoshd.com/content/12250/canon-7d-raw-video-mosaic-engineering-vaf-7d-anti-aliasing-filter

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:31 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D video line skipping is annoying ...

Andrew J wrote:
Using Magic Lantern you can shoot RAW video with the 7D:
http://www.eoshd.com/content/12250/canon-7d-raw-video-mosaic-engineering-vaf-7d-anti-aliasing-filter

interesting, so long as you install that special AA filter (although I think it messes up stills photography though so it's quite a pain if you still do stills as well) with the new ML it looks like the 7D does fairly well (and with the 7D2 apparently not getting 4k, I wonder if this 7D with filter and ML might not produce much better video than the 7D2, perhaps dual digic 6 will let the 7D2 read the entire sensor though so you might not need ML to avoid aliasing? otoh, unless they go 10bits or something it's still hard to think it could match ML RAW)

Aug 22, 2014 at 03:22 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.