New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Adapting Nikon AF-d or AI-s to Canon FD

Mr. Park

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adapting Nikon AF-d or AI-s to Canon FD

I've been wanting to try shooting with film lately and have recently found my dad's old Canon A-1 SLR.

Currently I'm using a D800 with an assortment of nikon glass (all G lenses). I'm looking into getting an AF-d, AI-s, or an AI lens to mount onto the A-1 for the dual purpose of using it on the A-1 and the D800. I understand that the older lenses performance will not be too desirable on the D800, but I would like to have the option to use the older lenses on both cameras if needed.

Looking online, I haven't had any luck finding an adapter for my needs. All I could find is the following: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-AI-F-AF-Lens-to-Canon-FD-Camera-Mount-Adaptor-/370444055224?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item56402fb2b8

Has anyone had any experience with that adapter or any others that are similar?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:00 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adapting Nikon AF-d or AI-s to Canon FD

Nikon G to Canon EF for $269 allows you to use any Nikon glass as a manual lens (except maybe the newer E lenses that have electronic aperture control) and control the aperture, and Nikon FX to EF adapter for less than a tenth of that for Nikon lenses that have aperture rings.

Better deals can probably be found for the first one, but generally it's supposed to be fairly straightforward. Also, check out the Alt forum, and the manual lens thread in the Nikon forum, if you haven't already .

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:37 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adapting Nikon AF-d or AI-s to Canon FD

I thought he wanted FD, not EF

EBH

Aug 17, 2014 at 01:40 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adapting Nikon AF-d or AI-s to Canon FD

EB-1 wrote:
I thought he wanted FD, not EF

EBH

My mistake- should have looked that up!

Aug 17, 2014 at 02:04 AM
monday
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adapting Nikon AF-d or AI-s to Canon FD

I would not make the comment that older glass will not do the d800 justice. With the right lenses I get as sharp if not sharper images then most of the new glass at a lower price, better build quality, and smaller size.

There are many d800 users (myself included) that prefer to use MF lenses. Check out the Nikon manual focus thread it is over 80k replies.

Aug 17, 2014 at 02:13 AM
Mr. Park

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adapting Nikon AF-d or AI-s to Canon FD

After thinking about my options I purchased an excellent condition Nikon FM2 this week.

Thanks for all the great insight and advice guys!

Aug 23, 2014 at 02:53 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adapting Nikon AF-d or AI-s to Canon FD

Mr. Park wrote:
After thinking about my options I purchased an excellent condition Nikon FM2 this week.

Thanks for all the great insight and advice guys!

Seems the obvious route

If you want to use the canon for sentimental reasons buy it a decent FD 50mm and just go play

Aug 23, 2014 at 03:33 PM
Mr. Park

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adapting Nikon AF-d or AI-s to Canon FD

I bought a 50mm f/1.4 FD at a great price and have loaded the A-1 with some HP5 Ilford. Both cameras will be seeing use in the future

Aug 23, 2014 at 05:27 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adapting Nikon AF-d or AI-s to Canon FD

I have a set of Canon FD lenses that I use on my Canon EOS M with a $10 adapter, and used on my Sony NEX 5N and 7 before that.

I didn't go for the fastest, rarest glass. Just the normal 28, 35, and a 35-70 zoom. I invested maybe a bit over $100 and am quite happy to play with them.

+++

ETA: The EOS M itself is a quite affordable camera too. It is an 18 MP APS-C digital. It has an excellent 22 mm STM IS and a very good 18-55 mm STM IS that are each less than $100 new.

You can get an EOS M body with the 22 mm or 18-55 mm for about $250. Add the other lens used for $75, and get the FD adapter for cheap. It is LCD only, but it is a blast to play with for the price. I bought 2 at the beginning of summer, plus an adapter for my regular Canon lenses.
Good luck!
M.

Aug 23, 2014 at 06:56 PM
ronfronberg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adapting Nikon AF-d or AI-s to Canon FD

Canon actually made an adapter to use Nikon lenses on the Canon cameras that used FD lenses.

I have an made by Canon Adapter to use M42 lenses on the Canon FD mount.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.