Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV...

rolette
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

boingyman wrote:
I remember shooting HS football at night and I had to shoot at 10000-12800 > 95% of on the field shots with a 70-200 2.8. The only time I went lower at times was when using my flash bracketed below on the monopod for fill using HSS. I have no idea what a 1D4 could do in that situation in terms of high ISO and AF consistency

Here's a 1D4 shot at ISO 12,800:

I'm not thrilled when I have to shoot at ISO 12,800, but it is workable. You MUST nail the exposure and you can't afford to crop much.

Jay

Aug 20, 2014 at 07:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

Jay,

That looks really good.

I've pumped my 1DX up to 12800, but the highest I've used my 1DIV is probably 6400. Maybe I should expand my horizons a bit.

P.S. that's about the same overall light intensity as the tea bottle and Sriracha bottle examples in the "Canon 1D Mark IV unsharp photographs" thread,

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1313182

IOW, that's really poor lighting. I've shot nightime university field sports without lighting for TV coverage, and I thought that was bad. This is a new level of bad; almost dark.

Aug 20, 2014 at 08:19 PM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

How about 25600 on the 5D3? Still very workable.

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:02 PM
rolette
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

jcolwell wrote:
Jay,

That looks really good.

I've pumped my 1DX up to 12800, but the highest I've used my 1DIV is probably 6400. Maybe I should expand my horizons a bit.

P.S. that's about the same overall light intensity as the tea bottle and Sriracha bottle examples in the "Canon 1D Mark IV unsharp photographs" thread,

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1313182

IOW, that's really poor lighting. I've shot nightime university field sports without lighting for TV coverage, and I thought that was bad. This is a new level of bad; almost dark.

Thanks Jim. I wish they were all that good when the light is that low

Sadly, that's not the worst light I have to shoot in. While that was a MS game, they were playing at a decent HS stadium. Some of the smaller MS stadiums are significantly worse, particularly in the end zones.

Aug 21, 2014 at 02:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rolette
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

TeamSpeed wrote:
How about 25600 on the 5D3? Still very workable.

Yep, still very workable (although you had more light there than what I had in the football shot)

Aug 21, 2014 at 02:30 AM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

rolette wrote:
Yep, still very workable (although you had more light there than what I had in the football shot)

Its all about exposure, so yes if you needed to stop action, you either go higher on iso, or underexpose, which can kill a file. Although the concert shoot was very dark, darker than any high school soccer game, the basketball shoot did have more light.

This one is exposed more properly, and would be equivalent to a sports shot of 1/200th at 6400 at f2.8, which in my experience wouldn't yield any great shot during a night sporting event. This is what you can do with a 25600 with some post processing experience and good tools.

This is one of my ISO 10000 shots during a night time high school football game with the 1D4. It was also a great camera, one of my favorites.

Aug 21, 2014 at 03:47 AM
photoelle
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

I have owned both the 1DM4 and the 5DM3, I shoot primarily indoor horse shows. In my experience, the 5DM3 delivers FAR superior file quality, much less noise and better AF performance.

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:45 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

For soccer (e.g. think capturing ball compression on a header), OP needs fps. If OP nails the timing (more likely at 10 fps than 6 fps) and captures a player winning a header in the air against an opponent, with ball compression and related facial expression, slightly more noise isn't going to matter much at all to the client ...

For soccer, I'd take the 1D-series anytime, anywhere.

Aug 25, 2014 at 03:21 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password