Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV...

ahender
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

This topic has probably been discussed many times. If you are sick of the topic/question, please ignore.

I have looked at DPR's RAW comparison of the 1D mkIV and 5D mkIII in a studio scene and can't quite figure out which is definitely better at ISOs 6400 and 12800. I opened in ACR and reduced the luminance noise to about 70.

That is the only adjustment I made. I rarely work with RAW files.

Then I looked at the image detail.

Are the two cameras pretty close at these ISO levels?

My old eyes can't really see a big difference.

I'll be shooting low-light HS soccer games.

Thanks...Alan

Aug 16, 2014 at 08:01 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

The 1DX is significantly better at ISO 6400+ than the 1DIV - I use both of them. I'm confident that the 5DIII is a lot closer to the 1DX in high ISO territory, and possibly better than the 1DIV for low light AF accuracy, too (not that the 1DIV is especially poor, though).

Having fast lenses will be beneficial, too. What are you using now?

Aug 16, 2014 at 08:14 PM
Claude
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

Yes, this has been discussed many times

The difference in ISO noise is IMHO noticeable (I would say 1 stop) in favor of 5D3.
I prefer the AF of 5D3. In low light it acquires focus better than the 1D4.
The frame rate of 1D4 is an advantage.
In low light I use 5D3 exclusively, I add 1D4 only in bright conditions.

But, before I had the 5D3 I used the 1D4 for everything and was very satisfied

Claude

Aug 16, 2014 at 08:25 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

Claude wrote:
Yes, this has been discussed many times

The difference in ISO noise is IMHO noticeable (I would say 1 stop) in favor of 5D3.
I prefer the AF of 5D3. In low light it acquires focus better than the 1D4.
The frame rate of 1D4 is an advantage.
In low light I use 5D3 exclusively, I add 1D4 only in bright conditions.

But, before I had the 5D3 I used the 1D4 for everything and was very satisfied

Claude

Thanks Claude.

If you could only have one camera and you shot daylight sports in the fall and low light sports in the spring, would it be an easy choice as to which camera you would choose? I assume that would be the 1D4?

Aug 16, 2014 at 08:56 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

jcolwell wrote:
The 1DX is significantly better at ISO 6400+ than the 1DIV - I use both of them. I'm confident that the 5DIII is a lot closer to the 1DX in high ISO territory, and possibly better than the 1DIV for low light AF accuracy, too (not that the 1DIV is especially poor, though).

Having fast lenses will be beneficial, too. What are you using now?

I current use a 70-200 2.8 II with 1.4 TC but I am selling those to get a Sigma 120-300 Sport.

Aug 16, 2014 at 08:57 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

I've shot soccer for many years and with the above plus the newer 1DX. I can tell you the best low light HS Soccer body is the X and by a significant amount. The 5D3 comes very close but the slower fps doesn't cut it with soccer IMHO. The IV does a good job but it does hunt a bit with low light. Having used it for a number of seasons it is workable but as I indicated the X beats it hands down.

Matt

Aug 17, 2014 at 02:29 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

The OP asked to choose between a 1D4 or 5D3, so what is the point of suggesting a 1DX?

If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

Last time I looked, the 1DX was in a higher price bracket, so why assume he can afford one?

Aug 17, 2014 at 04:28 PM
Thouse
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

I just finished shooting a whole season of my daughter's soccer with a 5D3 and a really old Canon EF200/f1.8. Best soccer shots I have ever been able to capture. Only had to push the iso up to 1200 for the most part, even in the evening light.

Aug 17, 2014 at 05:11 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

Hi Tony, no assumption being made here. OP mentioned in last line he will be shooting in low-light HS soccer games. My comment reflects having shot in this condition with both bodies he mentions 'plus' the 1DX.

OP: in order of ISO effectiveness I would say its 5D3 followed by the MkIV but as mentioned earlier the fps of the 5D3 is such that I would prefer the MkIV over it.

Good luck with your decision.

Matt

Aug 18, 2014 at 03:27 PM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

From my personal experience, I wouldn't use 1D IV above ISO 6400 for high quality output (glossy magazines and so). 3200 seems to be the sweet spot for this camera. All tests suggest the 5D3 is better at the sensitivities you're planning to use.

However, keep in mind that shooting soccer with with 5D3 will require a long lens, unless you'll wait for the action to get close to you. Unfortunately, you don't list any gear in your profile. If you own say a 300mm lens and you're happy with it's coverage on sub-FF body, you might be slightly disappointed with it's reach. For example, 300mm on 1D IV has the same angle of view as 400mm lens on FF. The price difference between 300mm f2.8 and 400mm f2.8 is substantial. And if you're currently shooting with 70-200 f2.8 lens, the jump to 300 mm f2.8 will definitely be hard for your wallet/credit card as well.

Of course you can crop your photos in PP, but you might end up with small files.

Edit: I've seen the lens now in another post + plan to upgrade to Sigma 120-300 Sport.

Edited on Aug 18, 2014 at 03:47 PM · View previous versions

Aug 18, 2014 at 03:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

Hi Alan,

Here's an informal comparison, and casual shooter-to-shooter presentation. I think this fellow got it right...

Canon 1Dx, 5D Mark III and 1D Mark IV ISO Testing - YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIBiUW09G20

...hope this helps.

Jimmy G

Aug 18, 2014 at 03:45 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

I used a 1d4 and thought it was an excellent body for high school sports. If your glass is f/2.8 you should be good to go. I for one like a high FPS when shoot soccer. And I like the 1.3x this body gives you.

At current prices the 1d4 is an excellent purchase.

Aug 18, 2014 at 06:18 PM
rolette
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

If I'm looking only at things that matter for shooting indoor and stadium-light field sports, here are the differences I see:

Pros for 5D3:
* Better high-ISO performance (about 1 stop) for shooting in those dungeons
* AF accuracy in AI Servo mode is probably a wash, but give the slight nod to the 5D3 here

Pros for 1D4:
* 10 fps vs 6 fps on 5D3
* much larger buffer
* integrated grip (most sports are vertical)
* slightly better on shutter lag and less VF blackout
* more shots per battery charge
* Faster x-sync if you are strobing (1/300)
* Better "reach"/pixel density, which is potentially a big deal depending on what lenses you have ($$$)

It doesn't phase me at all to shoot at ISO 8000 on the 1D4 for basketball and volleyball. With the lighting in most HS and college courts, the 5D3 would provide a little cleaner files but both are still going to need a little NR.

Given that the 1D4 high-ISO is "good enough" on the main advantage the 5D3 has, I'd take the 1D4 for the advantages it has over the 5D3.

Again, this is looking at it purely from shooting indoor and under-the-light sports. Depending on what else you shoot, other considerations would come into play and might lead to a different answer for me.

Jay

Aug 18, 2014 at 06:55 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond.

Alan

Aug 18, 2014 at 09:17 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

I have a 5D2 and now a 1DX.
I have always been able to use my 5D2 at 5,000 ISO and usually could push my 1D4 to 6400, but really didn't like to.
I now have the 1DX and whereas the 5D2 looks good at 5,000 ISO the 1DX looks equally good at 10,000 ISO.
After I purchased the 1DX I read the reviews and numbers in Popular Photography and noticed the 5D3 showed less noise and more lines per inch(? forgot the term) and thought I should have looked closer at the 5D3 but I like the high FPS.

You will have to decide if you need the FPS and their is a big difference in weight also between the 1D4 and the 5D3.
Good Luck, hope this helps, Ken.

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:58 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

I have both and shoot night motor sports events.

The MKIV beats out the 5D3 every time on focus capacity and fps.....and I go up to 12800 on ISO alot.

The MKIV does really well and the 5D3 just slightly better.

Due to fast pace and challenging light....the MKIV is the first to come out

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:41 PM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

I shot the entire NBA season last year with the 5D3. Before that it was the 1D4 and 7D. The 5D3 did outstandingly at fast paced action, and high ISO was better. It took about 2 games to find the right tweaks to the AF menus on the 5D3 to at least equal the 1D4 AF results.

ISO 12800

ISO 25600

Also at 12800, but my 11yr daughter was shadowing me using her SL1. (she likes it when I post her pics)

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:46 AM
danski0224
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

The 5DIII will beat the 1DIV in the ISO range specified and it will likely grab focus better in "low light".

I'm not sure how well the "reach" thing holds up. You may be able to crop into the 5DIII file and "lose" little/nothing.

The 5DIII has those black squares and the 1DIV has the red ones in the VF.

There are also the body style differences and FPS. As I understand it, a gripped 5DIII is larger and heavier than a 1D series.

If you are doing this for income, you will (potentially) lose shots with the 5DIII compared to the 1DIV. This may be a good reason to contemplate the 1DX if low light + FPS is desired.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

1D X is the high ISO, low light master in Canon's line-up. AT high ISO say 3200+ it is definitely better than 1D IV and AF does a bit better in low light too. 1DX can handle lower contrast better. 5D III is not far behind the 1D X. 1D IV is still excellent, but 1D X raises the bar again. I'd use 1D X a full stop to stop and half higher than 1D IV if I'm not FL limited.

Aug 20, 2014 at 02:23 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · If you had to choose a low-light sports camera -- 1D mkIV or 5D mkIII

I would personally choose a 5D3, but it really depends on how low is low light to you and also your lens line up. I remember shooting HS football at night and I had to shoot at 10000-12800 > 95% of on the field shots with a 70-200 2.8. The only time I went lower at times was when using my flash bracketed below on the monopod for fill using HSS. I have no idea what a 1D4 could do in that situation in terms of high ISO and AF consistency. The only benefit for me personally would have been the extra reach in that case since I was limited to a 70-200 2.8. I realized though with almost any sports having 2 cameras can be so useful. Heck I can see why some pros carry 3 setups at once.

Aug 20, 2014 at 06:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password