Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

mphaha

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

I'm looking for a good macro/portrait lens and I am trying to decide between the Zuiko 90mm F2 and the Tokina 90mm F2.5. Both have seem to about the same physical parameters (size, weight, 1:2 macro).

Platforms I use are a Olympus OM4Ti, Canon 5DII and Oly m43 (EM-5 and Pen EP2). In the future I might get a Sony A7 but that is by no means sure...

Already in the lens bag are a Zuiko 100mm F2.8 (nice, but no macro), a Conurized Contax N 100mm Macro (great macro, but big and heavy).

The Zuiko seems to have a cult status, which seems to put a premium on its price. The Bokina gets high praise for sharpness and bokeh.... and costs about 1/3-1/2 the price of the Zuiko.

Does anyone have experience with both ? How do they compate ? Does the 2/3 stop extra of the Zuiko warrant its price ?

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:42 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

I've had both and would highly recommend the Zuiko 90/2 macro. The Bokina is good, but not in the same league as a portrait lens (and in some way macro). Concerning prices, keep in mind the Zuiko is a rare 90-100/F2 macro lens. Who else make and F/2 lens? If you want to go smaller and cheaper you might try an old Tamron 52B adaptall lens. If you can find one that does not have internal haze (seems to be very common) they are a great value. That said, I have an A7r and Tamron 52B, but still want a Zuiko 90/2. It's always been my favorite macro lens. I've had two over the years then sold them. Now that I have decided to use mainly OM Zuiko's on my A7r I want one again!

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:14 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

The Zuiko is optimized at 1:10. I don't know about the Tokina, but I found for Vivitar S1 90/Tokina 90 is actually sharper for infinity, stop down shot. I know this is not what you're looking for, but I just want to give another perspective. I think the Zuiko actually has a bit less PF at WO for portrait. At macro distance, I found the Tokina has similar sharpness to Voigtlander 125 (at least in the central area from WO to f/11). Both are over-hyped, though I think the Zuiko is more so.

However, you can look for the very neat Olympus telescope, variable extension tube that can extend the magnification of the Zuiko beyond 1:1 (close to 2:1). IIRC, I don't think there is a matching 1:1 macro adapter for the Zuiko.

Aug 16, 2014 at 02:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

I've owned both the Vivitar and Tokina versions of the "Bokina", and they're great! I haven't owned the OM 90/2, but the OM 85/2 is pretty nice for portraits (and way less expensive).

Aug 16, 2014 at 03:04 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

Specifically for portraits the Zuiko 85/2 is a great little lens. Unbelievably small for an 85/2 lens. Unfortunately, the mirrorless crowd has caught on. Prices for an 85/2, especially MC in good condition, are much higher today. One could buy four Tamron 52B's for the price of one good 85/2.

The Zuiko 90/2 is not a perfect lens optically, but it is an excellent performing lens for close up/macro that has its own very pleasing characteristics. The Vivitar and Tokina "Bokina"s are very nice too. I found the Tokina to have better MC's, but more vignetting. Most (all?) macro lenses are not good performers at infinity, the OM 90/2 is no exception there. The OP has a nice 100/2.8 for that.

Aug 16, 2014 at 04:49 PM
Lleuallen
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

Caution on the Tamron 90 - it has a hot spot caused by reflections off of the rear element when used digitally. This is only under some severe conditions. I replaced mine with the Tokina which I love.

I must have a dud 85 oly as I don't like mine at all, never have since I bought new when it came out.

Larry

Aug 16, 2014 at 07:56 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

hiepphotog wrote:
I think the Zuiko actually has a bit less PF at WO for portrait.

That could be, but the Zuiko has more LoCA (green/red). The Tokina only has some blue/yellow CA.

I'm personally quite taken by the rendering of the Tokina -- extremely sharp, yet gentle, and gorgeous bokeh in most situations. I like my Contax Makro-Planar 100/2.8 a lot more for landscape use though, because it has better contrast and a more vivid color rendering.

Edited on Aug 17, 2014 at 09:50 AM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2014 at 08:54 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

Both these lenses has quite som LoCa, different colours though, as mentioned above.
Both lenses flare. As I recall it the Bokina is worse (I had the Vivitar). The Zuiko has higher contrast.
For some reason selling the Zuiko hurted me more than selling the Vivitar. One detail: The Zuiko vomes with either a metric or an imperial focusing scale. The metric version is of course much better... :-)

Aug 17, 2014 at 09:35 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

@Jonas: It's been mentioned here in the past that the Vivitar version has inferior coatings (and transmission of some colours) compared to the Tokina. I don't recall having big flare problems with the Tokina.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Mike Deep
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

The Vivitar version of the Tokina exhibits a severe veiling flare from bright light sources - it's bad enough that you can forget about recovery in post. It may render the lens unusable with white studio backdrops, and it definitely can't be used against the sun.

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

Aham and Mike, you're right. I should have noticed pdmphoto's comment above. So, the OP should look for a Tokina-Bokina then as the flare with the Vivitar version was really annoying.

Aug 17, 2014 at 02:13 PM
mphaha

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

Thanks for the valuable input !
I think I will take the plunge and go for the Zuiko 90.

Aug 17, 2014 at 04:20 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

Flare? Yes terrible, but I don't recall any issue if always use a hood. Paul? at PDMphoto mentioned that perhaps 6 or 7 years ago that that lens is very sensitive to any stray light. Also there is a matched 1:1 converter for the viv S1 90 that works very well. That be said, I saw paired images with both at low mag and the Zuiko rendition and bokeh were indeed just a wee smidge nicer, but not enough for me to shell out the $$$.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:01 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

The Tokina has more iris settings with a zig-zag iris form. I think at the Vivitar it is only on or two stops with that problem.

After I had to delete several images I made with a Zeiss Contax 85/1.4 AE because of this, I avoid if possible such iris forms.
But with the Vivitar I have sometimes problems with bright light and stray light - but I do not have a comparison with the Tokina.

Aug 22, 2014 at 06:11 AM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

The OM 90/2 is a superb lens, I miss the one I had - really such a little jewel both mechanically and optically.

Aug 22, 2014 at 08:32 AM
xfxray

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

Worth the price is subjective.

I own both. The OM is easily worth what I paid for it, the Vivitar significantly less so. In my opinion. So while you can ask if the 90/2 is worth it relative to the 90/2.5, and you may get one answer, if you evaluate the two in a vacuum you may come to a different conclusion.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:24 PM
AMP829

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

Hello
I have found at the same price Tokina 90 2.5 and Zuiko 90 f2 .
I am interested for macro but also for landscape photography .
Which one is better ?

Jul 28, 2019 at 11:05 AM
karambol

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

Hi!
A month ago, I made a similar choice and the Olympus 90/2 was chosen.
It's lighter (in both meanings), smaller, released later (I hope, have better coating).
I've got it before only few days and used it only twice, but I very pleased with it's IQ.
It's excellent for macro and landscapes - sharp from corner to corner WO.
And not bad for portraits for my taste.

Tested handheld (as I shoot on trips when there is no time for a tripod)
Oly90 by napokar, on Flickr

Closeup
Bezalel11 by napokar, on Flickr

And portrait
Daniel01 by napokar, on Flickr

Jul 28, 2019 at 12:54 PM
AMP829

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

Thanks Karambol !

Jul 28, 2019 at 01:14 PM
AMP829

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · portrait/macro: zuiko 90mm F2 or Bokina ?

i am not asking for vivitar series but Tokina 90 2.5 .Vivitar is good but the tokina is much better version

Jul 28, 2019 at 02:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.