Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

justruss
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

The whole discussion of craftsmanship reminds me of the famous conversation between Godard and Lang, particularly the discussion of a carpenter, painter, and the guy who builds the painter's easel.

For anyone interested (turn on English subtitles if you don't speak French), it's one of the great conversations on film and art: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm4q-gtUH7Q

Aug 21, 2014 at 09:04 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

justruss wrote:
The whole discussion of craftsmanship reminds me of the famous conversation between Godard and Lang, particularly the discussion of a carpenter, painter, and the guy who builds the painter's easel.

For anyone interested (turn on English subtitles if you don't speak French), it's one of the great conversations on film and art: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm4q-gtUH7Q

Thanks for that link. Don't have time to watch the whole one hour thing right now, but I've saved the link for later. (I'm betting that someone from film has an interesting perspective on this, at least partly in that the creation of film is one of the most highly collaborative activities in the arts.)

Dan

Aug 21, 2014 at 02:52 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

If you don't ever resale your gear you are doing right, I do sell better if I need since all in original state including camera and lenses.

Aug 22, 2014 at 01:46 AM
melcat
• • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

You guys aren't really trying. You know you can get past 7 pages. There is much to discuss. Are Nikon gold boxes really better than Canon ones? Is it worth upgrading your Canon lenses to get a more recent box design? How should boxes be stored, and what is the service life of a box? Have modern box designs been compromised by EU regulations, and were old boxes better? What about 3rd party boxes (clearly there's a market)? Can Nikon boxes be used with Canon lenses? Which way up should you store your boxes?

Aug 22, 2014 at 08:11 AM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

melcat wrote:
You guys aren't really trying. You know you can get past 7 pages. There is much to discuss. ....

Agreed. The elephant in the room is, the perceived dynamic range of Canon's boxes compared with Son....

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:33 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

melcat wrote:
... Which way up should you store your boxes?

Yes, way up.

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

I just keep the original boxes and manuals for resale purposes. I didn't read through the whole thread. I don't read the manuals and 9/10 I don't touch most of the accessories either. Lol. Some people are really anal about having the boxes and stuff when they buy.

Aug 22, 2014 at 02:03 PM
renowood

p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

Jcolwell Your storing your boxes all wrong. Pentax and Mamiya with Canon, OMG

Aug 22, 2014 at 02:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

renowood wrote:
Jcolwell Your storing your boxes all wrong. Pentax and Mamiya with Canon, OMG

Sorry. What was I thinking?

I'll sort them alphabetically.

Aug 22, 2014 at 02:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

danski0224
• •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

melcat wrote:
You guys aren't really trying. You know you can get past 7 pages. There is much to discuss. Are Nikon gold boxes really better than Canon ones? Is it worth upgrading your Canon lenses to get a more recent box design? How should boxes be stored, and what is the service life of a box? Have modern box designs been compromised by EU regulations, and were old boxes better? What about 3rd party boxes (clearly there's a market)? Can Nikon boxes be used with Canon lenses? Which way up should you store your boxes?

All valid points.

The big omission is shelf wear.

The value of the boxes takes a big hit from scuffs obtained on the storage shelf (AKA: shelf wear).

I would recommend storing each Canon box inside of another box, with archival paper surrounding the Canon box. Care must be used when attempting to store multiple Canon boxes inside of one larger plain box.

Box collections should be broken up and stored in multiple remote locations for safety.

Aug 22, 2014 at 07:36 PM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

danski0224 wrote:
All valid points.

The big omission is shelf wear.

The value of the boxes takes a big hit from scuffs obtained on the storage shelf (AKA: shelf wear).

I would recommend storing each Canon box inside of another box, with archival paper surrounding the Canon box. Care must be used when attempting to store multiple Canon boxes inside of one larger plain box.

Box collections should be broken up and stored in multiple remote locations for safety.

Seriously, one should use archival tissue to surround the box, gently wrap the box with at least 3 inches of bubble wrap and then keep each box separately in it's own 40% humidy controlled dry box in a highly secured eviromentally controlled locked room, with 24hr. security.

Even then you're probably taking a risk of damaging your lens box, so be careful.

Aug 22, 2014 at 08:11 PM
hotdog12

p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

I tend to keep the box and associated junk for several reasons: first, if I need to ship it to Canon for repair. Also, I'm photojournalist and keep my backup len(es) in the old boxes while the original lens is repaired. Finally, when I do sell old gear, folks seem to appreciate it.

I only do this for camera bodies and lenses, however. Everything else goes in the dumpster!

Aug 22, 2014 at 08:16 PM
danski0224
• •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

shutterbug guy wrote:
Seriously, one should use archival tissue to surround the box, gently wrap the box with at least 3 inches of bubble wrap

Ah, so I've been doing it wrong...

I tried the bubble wrap, but (1) the boxes do not stack so well and (2) you always have two sides of the box that aren't covered well without a bunch of extra effort (the agony).

I might try making foam overpacks out of 2" extruded pink foam. It cuts easily, glues easily and still allows stacking. I'd prefer 4" foam...

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:39 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

When it comes to best practices for lens box storage, it is best to simply leave the lens in the box at all times. You'll still enjoy the pleasures of owning the best lenses which should give you sufficient credibility to participate in photography forum discussions and the lens weight will help stabilize and maintain the box it is original perfect form. These boxes were designed to hold precisely those lenses, and to use the boxes for any other purpose or to store them without the original lens is to disrespect the tremendous care and craftsmanship that went into the box design and to risk damage to the box through misuse.

Unless you are a person who actually does own these boxes and who has personally tested the results of this approach to box maintenance and the truly magical effects that result for the boxes, you should not wade into this discussion and offer opinions without real world experience. And, yes, I know that some simply aren't capable of seeing such subtle differences and that this probably doesn't matter to them after all, they are probably not storing their boxes in a way that pushes the capabilities of the box at all. Heck, they probably wouldn't even notice the difference if they stored things in left over plastic grocery bags!

Running for cover, laughing... ;-)

Dan

Edited on Aug 23, 2014 at 05:18 PM · View previous versions

Aug 23, 2014 at 03:23 PM
JimmyJames
• • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

I'll soon be selling my old and very faithful 28-70 f2.8L box with complete packing and documentation. The box has served me well. I was going to sell the pristine glass with it but that likely won't add to the value and will just increase shipping costs.

PS - I have boxes for Pocket Wizards and even an old ST-2. Seems dumb but I know how people like them.

Aug 23, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Dark Slider
• • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

For the truly committed photographic box enthusiast, only the best storage methodology will suffice. Each camera component box is individually surrounded with a custom, laser cut wrap of the finest archival tissue. The tissue wrapped box is surrounded by an delicate cushioning layer of aerogel, which is placed in an individually sized archival medium box. This box is purged with argon gas and then packaged in a heat sealed teflon outer sheath, which is placed in an armored, surgical stainless steel case. The case is laser etched with the particulars of the contents, along with the date and time of storage, which is further cataloged in a cloud-based database system so the owner can retrieve this critical information at a moment's notice from anywhere in the world that they might be involved in a heated internet discussion. The armored case is, of course, then lowered into a cyrogenic storage vessel, which is housed in vibration isolated warehouse in a radiation hardened underground storage bunker.

Anything less shows you are just not serious.

Aug 23, 2014 at 04:31 PM
danski0224
• •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

:bowdown:

Aug 23, 2014 at 05:16 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end