Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

pplskills
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

So I have a random question. Why does everyone want/need/keep the boxes for their camera body and lenses. I'm the kind of person who gets rid of the useless paperwork and boxes as soon as I buy something because I don't like the clutter. Everytime I've sold something in the Buy/Sell thread, everyone makes a big deal when I don't have the box. I'm assuming the manuals can be downloaded in PDF format from the manufactures website.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:11 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

I don't know why either, but the side effect that I like is that I can usually get gear cheaper, just because it has no box!

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:15 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

In my experience, having the original box, manual, CD, cables, and etc. does two things when selling the used gears; (i) it sells more quickly than other similar gears "without", and (ii) it nets an average of about 15% higher selling price than similar gears without.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:16 AM
pplskills
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

haha yeah, I just got negotiated down because I didn't have box and manual. I guess it is like people keeping their boxes when they buy a MacBook. I don't think the Canon box is as beautiful as an Apple box though. Oh, I even see people selling boxes in the Buy/Sell thread. I'll keep my boxes for now on I guess or sell them right as buy something new.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:19 AM
UCSB
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

Boxes and all original packing material is critical when sending equipment in for calibration/repair. Having the boxes, manuals, etc. lessens the possibility of someone purchasing stolen equipment and losing everything they put into it. Also, increases the chance that someone has some respect for their equipment.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

Another good reason is that most stolen goods were not packaged as new when stolen. A thief rarely has the box, manuals etc.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:52 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

I sold my lens gear up to now all in the original box with manual and warranty card. I had no truble selling Sigma and Canon lens gear very quickly. I suspect that boxes in a good condition give the impression to the potential buyer that the seller bought the lens as new copy and that the gear wasn't purchased as used item before resale.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:55 AM
pplskills
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

All good points. I guess I didn't realize that theft was a huge problem. Don't people use something like lenstag to register their gear? I guess most people have garages or storage areas to store all these boxes. I wish I could say the same.

Aug 16, 2014 at 01:01 AM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

I can't think outside of the box !

Aug 16, 2014 at 01:06 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

I've sold my share of gear, most without boxes or manuals at the going rate. I don't understand this fetish.

Aug 16, 2014 at 01:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

I travel and move around too much to be bothered with boxes so they go into the
trash now days in an effort to minimize "stuff".

Aug 16, 2014 at 01:37 AM
tele_pathic
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

As a frequent buyer of used merchandise, I can tell that items with original boxes and manuals are generally in better shape than those items without. And items in original boxes tend to ship better or with less damage. I keep my boxes and manuals in case I want to resell. And I search for items with boxes and manuals.

Aug 16, 2014 at 01:43 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

Hadn't thought on this much but I've kept boxes for equipment purchased new, even have boxes for my 1st SLR kit from 1978, but most was used without boxes. It's been much the same for digital gear, except most used gear had boxes and their goodies.

I do try and get the full kit when going after older used bodies tho, but doubt that will continue as my next bodies will not be as long in the tooth...I wanted an old shooter and our PijunMaster surrendered his 1DMk2N for a reasonable sum; yes with box and stuff; thus requiring an old XP machine be kept

So there be boxes everywhere, well actually there are only a few boxes with many boxes within, and one 'speshul' box with labeled ziplock's for cables/disks n such...from the other boxes

I wasn't this organized when without a better half, she has fully corrupted my bad habits which ends up being a very good thing, as now I know where stuff is and thus can spend more time shooting, not wondering where fairly useless shit is

If anyone's looking for a pristine Canon nFD 100mm f4 Macro I might know someone who has one, with box, paperwork, molded styrofoam and plastic bag

Edited on Aug 16, 2014 at 01:57 AM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2014 at 01:48 AM
Joe Garner
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

As undoubtely many others have said, because it increases resale value. Probably because it suggests that the owner is a careful and considerate person.

Aug 16, 2014 at 01:56 AM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

Makes it easier to sell in future, easy if you ever need to put gear in storage, and easier if you ever need to ship your own gear somewhere it makes that easier, too.

Then again, I'm a box hoarder in general. I figure if one has the space then what's the harm keeping them if they might be potentially useful in future.

Aug 16, 2014 at 01:57 AM
Joe Garner
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

shutterbug guy wrote:
I travel and move around too much to be bothered with boxes so they go into the
trash now days in an effort to minimize "stuff".

Some empty boxes can buy you a steak dinner.

Aug 16, 2014 at 01:59 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

pplskills wrote:
So I have a random question. Why does everyone want/need/keep the boxes for their camera body and lenses. I'm the kind of person who gets rid of the useless paperwork and boxes as soon as I buy something because I don't like the clutter. Everytime I've sold something in the Buy/Sell thread, everyone makes a big deal when I don't have the box. I'm assuming the manuals can be downloaded in PDF format from the manufactures website.

Well you answered a big part of the why- because people who buy want all that stuff.

As to why people want that stuff, just for starters:

The original boxes were designed to allow the product to be shipped safely and it gives a big chunk of extra piece of mind to know that the lens is being shipped inside the original box.

Aug 16, 2014 at 02:02 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

Joe Garner wrote:
Some empty boxes can buy you a steak dinner.

The 50 1.0L box is worth more than the lens.

Aug 16, 2014 at 02:04 AM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

UCSB wrote:
Boxes and all original packing material is critical when sending equipment in for calibration/repair.

I've sent many lenses into Canon for calibration and a couple in for repair and never done this. In the recent 1DX recall the tech person I chatted with said do not send in the box/packing materials. They just wanted the body with no battery and no eyepiece.

Aug 16, 2014 at 02:29 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What is deal with everyone keeping their boxes/manuals

pplskills wrote:

I keep boxes for a couple of reasons. When/if I need to ship something back to Canon for adjustment, the original box is the safest, easiest, and most protective method for packing it. And, as you point out, buyers of used equipment often (though not always) like to have original packaging and support materials.

Fortunately, these boxes are usually not that big, and they fit on an unused shelf.

Dan

Edited on Aug 16, 2014 at 03:32 AM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2014 at 02:46 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password