Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · New to sports, should I shoot college basketball before trying NBA?

kabraxcis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New to sports, should I shoot college basketball before trying NBA?

I live in Cleveland and want to get some shots of LeBron before I leave (in 1 year)

Basically, I have this season and that's it.

However, I haven't shot indoor sports. Ever.

How different is the college basketball scene in terms of lighting or shoot-ability?

Would you say that shooting a college game would be beneficial to shooting a pro game? Or should I shoot pro games to practice since college games wouldn't help?

Aug 15, 2014 at 03:02 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New to sports, should I shoot college basketball before trying NBA?

I am sorry if I come across as a bit of jerk, but I've got lots of questions to answer your questions.

Are you talking about shooting the NBA as a pro from the baseline or as a fan from the stands?
College lighting varies more than you can imagine from darn good lighting at the best venues to poor lighting at smaller colleges. Poorly lit gyms are extremely difficult to shoot in and based on your equipment profile, it will be challenging, to say it nicely, to get anything good at these gyms. Even at a good gym (major D1 arena), I am at ISO 2500 to 3200 and 2.8 and 1/800 or so. I have the 5D and I am not sure you will be very succesful with that body even in pretty well lit gym. So, are you going to rent equipment or buy new stuff? Most people shooting basketball use the 70-200 2.8 as their main lens and will use wide angle to 400s for other shots.

Also, since you've never shot indoor sports, you might consider going to your local HS and shooting. It won't cost much and you can get a feel for just how difficult it can be. However, in most of our local HS gyms, if I am not strobing, I am at iso 6400 to 8000 and 1/500 @ 2.8.

Aug 15, 2014 at 03:40 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New to sports, should I shoot college basketball before trying NBA?

I'm assuming from the stands based on your post. You really need to give us more info. What gear do you have?

Aug 16, 2014 at 06:25 AM
BobMarkey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New to sports, should I shoot college basketball before trying NBA?

I'm not sure how you are going to get a pro level DSLR and 2.8 or faster lens into a major college or pro venue. If you can get close enough, try a 85. F/1.8 or 100 F/2 lens and pump up the ISO as high as you have to to get a shutter speed of at least 1/500. Shoot on manual with servo AF and the center focus point with support from the surrounding points.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:57 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.