• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spontaneous Relationships

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spontaneous Relationships

I'm not a fan of pictures grouped together closely like this set. I found I sped through them without giving each picture it's 'due'. I think that's a usual result when one picture can't be seen without seeing the one next to it.

Aug 15, 2014 at 02:50 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spontaneous Relationships

Jim so many photos otherwise I might have posted them one at a time. Having said that don't you think shown like this you can see how they are working together? Or not?

The proper way to view these is printed, matted, framed and in a gallery...

Aug 15, 2014 at 02:52 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spontaneous Relationships

I think this is a great set. I love the interaction you have with your subjects. They seem to be connecting with you and what you're doing. There's also lots of wry humor in many of them. Great job!

Aug 16, 2014 at 07:27 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spontaneous Relationships

airfrogusmc wrote:
Jim so many photos otherwise I might have posted them one at a time. Having said that don't you think shown like this you can see how they are working together? Or not?

No need to put them in a gallery, framed etc. Yes, showing them together has that advantage. But viewing them one below the other on the forum, we'll notice how they have a common theme. Maybe my way of viewing photos is not for everyone. I study each photo individually and look for it's strong points and how the artist used his tools to get the final product. Then I move on to the next one.

I know that I move through a side-by-side set more quickly. I don't know how many others do. And individual pictures are usually posted larger than pairs of pictures placed side-by-side, so they have more impact due to their size.

Aug 16, 2014 at 07:39 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spontaneous Relationships

I have a show here in Chicago at the Rangefinder Gallery next May/June and I am trying to work through how the pieces are first working together or not and then I will start working on flow and then decide on scale (size) once I spend some time in the gallery space.

Jim, I will post them individually in the next several posts. Let me know what you think.

Aug 16, 2014 at 09:13 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spontaneous Relationships

Ok Here ya go Jim

Aug 16, 2014 at 09:22 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spontaneous Relationships

Aug 16, 2014 at 09:25 AM
Charlie San
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Spontaneous Relationships

Wonderful street work, intimate. Where can I see more of your work?

Aug 16, 2014 at 09:26 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Spontaneous Relationships

Aug 16, 2014 at 09:28 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Spontaneous Relationships

Aug 16, 2014 at 09:29 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Spontaneous Relationships

airfrogusmc wrote:

Are these layouts for a book?

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:02 AM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Spontaneous Relationships

Very interesting and well shot set.

I understand the criticism of the grouped layout but there is plenty of detail ... and ... I like it.

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:16 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Spontaneous Relationships

ricardovaste wrote:
Are these layouts for a book?

Working on images for an exhibit next May/June. Just trying to get a grip on how well these are working together on a visual level. Still have more to shoot and have to edit which has already been a long road LoL... These are edited down from hundreds.

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:23 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Spontaneous Relationships

Thanks Chuck...

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:23 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Spontaneous Relationships

dmacmillan wrote:
I think this is a great set. I love the interaction you have with your subjects. They seem to be connecting with you and what you're doing. There's also lots of wry humor in many of them. Great job!

Thanks, subtle humor and foreground/background relationships and sometimes a little social commentary are what a lot of my work is about.

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:25 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Spontaneous Relationships

airfrogusmc wrote:
Working on images for an exhibit next May/June. Just trying to get a grip on how well these are working together on a visual level. Still have more to shoot and have to edit which has already been a long road LoL... These are edited down from hundreds.

Well as a starter I think the collection you have right now is strong. I personally prefer how you've collected them in the initial post, rather than the huge individual images later on. I only dislike the inconsistency with sizing/spacing in your initial post, which I why I asked if they were pages for a book, but as they're not, it's irrelevant

As a whole I enjoyed the collection. You show insight and good humour. I don't know what the exhibition is for/about but I can't but see people enjoying these. If you still have some to edit, and more to shoot, and you think you can refine and add to these further, that's sounds great! As is it now, yes, I feel like they're working well.

Thank you for sharing all of these! I know these represent quite a lot of work.

Can I ask about your process, if you don't mind? I'm just interested if you go out to photograph, or whether you simply carry a camera with you - if that makes sense?

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Spontaneous Relationships

Thanks and I was excepted to do a show at the Rangefinder Galley 300 W Superior in Chicago next May/June.

I was excepted in a juried show in New York this past July at the Soho gallery. One of the images in this group was one of the images selected. 2600 entries and only 42 excepted for the exhibit. I also had a one man exhibit last spring here in Chicago. I try to keep my work out there.

As for my process i do carry a camera with me most of the time but I do set time aside and go to places that these kinds of things happen. Usually very busy areas/neighborhoods. I plan on getting out some tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments and taking the time to look...

Allen

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Spontaneous Relationships

#20 & # 30 are particular fav's of mine in this set, although I enjoyed them all. Great eye to catch those scenes.

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:41 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Spontaneous Relationships

Allen, I see a number of groups:

1) People and graphical background/foreground elements/interaction
2) People with a human element/observer in the background
3) Portraits
4) Graphical (12, maybe 18, 20, 30, 32)

I think these can all work well together and feel the first grouping is the most dominant in the set. Maybe too dominant? Would it be worthwhile culling a few to strengthen that group and make it less dominant over the other images...?

The images I feel aren't as strong:

3 - I get it - bald guy in front of a wig shop, but when I first saw the image in the smaller ganged version, I thought he was standing in front of a beauty supply shop, or something until I looked closer and read 'wigs'... maybe it's an image that needs to be seen larger. Still, I feel ambivalent about it, the composition and it being almost a bit contrived.

26, 27 - I don't feel these are as witty or clever as the others relying on graphical juxtaposition.

In this category I love 1, 9, 13, 17, 28, 33

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.