New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · USB Type-C coming soon

LightShow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · USB Type-C coming soon

http://www.cnet.com/news/meet-the-new-reversible-usb/
is comparable in size with micro USB 2.0 Type-B connectors, with a port size of 8.4 by 2.6mm, yet will be compatible with SuperSpeed USB at 10Gbps (USB 3.1).
It will also support USB Power Delivery up to 100W, with additional support for scalable power charging and future USB performance needs.

http://www.usb.org/press/USB_Type-C_Specification_Announcement_Final.pdf
August 12, 2014 – The USB 3.0 Promoter Group today announced the
completion of the USB Type-C specification that defines the next generation USB connector.
The USB Type-C specification establishes a new cable and connector scheme tailored to fit
mobile device product designs, yet robust enough for laptops and tablets.

This new cable and connector supports USB performance at SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps (USB 3.1) and USB Power Delivery up to 100W.
Key characteristics of the USB Type-C connector include:
• Entirely new design
• Tailored for emerging product designs
• Robust enough for laptops and tablets; slim enough for mobile phones
• Similar to size of USB 2.0 Micro-B
• Usability enhancements
• Reversible plug orientation and cable direction
Yipee
• Supports scalable power charging
• Future scalability
• Designed to support future USB performance needs
• Mechanical specs:
• Receptacle opening: ~8.4mm x ~2.6mm
• Durability: 10,000 cycles
• Improved EMI- and RFI-mitigation features
• Power delivery capacity: 3A for standard cables and 5A for connectors

pics from google
http://www.iloveapps.hk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/usb-type-c.jpg

http://pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/usb-type-c-schematic.jpg

Edited on Aug 15, 2014 at 12:08 AM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:00 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · USB Type-C coming soon

So now we will need to carry around about 4 kinds of USB cables plus several adapters.

EBH

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:05 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · USB Type-C coming soon

EB-1 wrote:
So now we will need to carry around about 4 kinds of USB cables plus several adapters.

EBH

No, going forward having 1 cord for everything and one adapter for each different legacy connector type will simplify things and give me 10GB/s to download pics in future cameras.

Edited on Aug 15, 2014 at 12:39 AM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:16 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · USB Type-C coming soon

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

LightShow wrote:
Only those with a collection of legacy electronics will have to do that, going forward having 1 cord for everything and one adapter for each connector you need will be great, and having 10GB/s to download pics will be welcome.

Legacy? You mean the tens of thousands of dollars worth of gear purchased in the past couple of years and even some new devices just reaching the market in July? It's just ridiculous that the manufacturer's want every device to be constantly disposable. And this great new system will be probably replaced in a couple of years with something else. Obviously it's an attempt to be more like the Thunderbowls.

EBH

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:35 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · USB Type-C coming soon

A Legacy connection does not render a device useless, but as people update their gear, the number of connector types will hopefully go down, I currently use the micro connector in my NEX-7 and now Mini in my A7r(Thanks Sony for the not required change) plus the standard A & B connections, I'd really like just one cable for all... Hopefully this will be it.

But yes, they have been changing connectors far too often, the usb 3 connector should have been like this from the start.

I assume you mean Apple's Lightning connector.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:55 AM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · USB Type-C coming soon

Yes, they just agreed USB Type C specs, but it'll be years until they become ubiquitous, and probably a while until they even start showing up as a connection option on devices.

It will be nice to have some standardization, but only as long as OEMs make the male and female connectors robust, unlike almost every current mini and micro USB plug. Robustness is one advantage of the current full-size USB connection.

Edited on Aug 15, 2014 at 04:19 PM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2014 at 01:07 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · USB Type-C coming soon

yep about 1-2 years

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:06 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · USB Type-C coming soon

I figure the industry leader for the USB connector development and standards group must be the same guy that headed the connector division for Philips Electronics in the 1970's and '80's.

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · USB Type-C coming soon

if it goes in and STAYS IN the yay bring it on

all I ever hear from my daughters and wife's tablets and phones is the beep beep of a connection and disconnection all the time even when the things are sat on a table and dont move .

we've been thru so many micro USB cable its silly . I think ive found about 3 that hold a reliable connection .

on the other side my lightning connected iphone plugs in and stays plugged in . never ever have a problem with it

Lightning is so much the better connection .

Aug 15, 2014 at 03:28 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · USB Type-C coming soon

^^ yes, that's my biggest gripe with micro USB connectors... they just get so sloppy over time. Hopefully the new Type-C design will be a little more solid (and a whole lot cheaper than Lightning and Thunderbolt)

Aug 15, 2014 at 04:21 PM
RoySussex
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · USB Type-C coming soon

The old adage about standards: "standards are wonderful - there are so many to chose from..."
More USB variants. Hard to get enthusiastic, but it could be worse.

And if you're one of the mugs who wanted to like the Surface Pro 2 (no "early adopting" for me) so much that they bought one and failed to return it within the grace period ("they'll sort out the OS/firmware, after all, it's Microsoft": memory lapse due to old age) it is worse.

The SP series cases (dunno about the 3) have sharply angled case edges. Fortunately this doesn't prevent a standard USB3 A cable plugging securely into the single socket even though the shoulder doesn't abut all round the connection, so it's subject to (inevitable) additional accidental strain on the socket. But it's not too bad. I expect that the overpriced MS accessory dedicated USB cable will be profiled to fit the case neatly.

The Mini Display Port - which I understand to be an Apple notion - is a different can of fish. The three 3rd party MDP adaptors (to HDMI) which I have tried have all been variously deficient. One made no connection at all as the male cable end failed to penetrate sufficiently deep into the case. One just, just, connected. The connection is so fragile that every time I use it I fear damage to the socket should the extremely stiff cabling get accidentally disturbed. So much so that I built up the cable end with Sugru to better fit the case edge profile.

Defeated, I ordered a £35 cable from the MS store. They sent me the mini-USB version (for the unlamented RT version and I believe the current "non-Pro" model. WTF). I just threw it in the corner and continued with my Sugru-special. Then my nerve failed and I tried to obtain a replacement from MS. It was too late for a return. So I decided I'd swallow hard and buy a second cable, making this one very expensive adaptor. But the MS store told me "not available"... Uh? It's essential if you don't want to destroy a product that cost close to £1k all told.

Now I send a letter to MS (US and UK HQ's) complaining about the innumerable deficiencies of both the product and their customer service - too extensive to list here. An email exchange ensues some weeks later. The only thing offered was a replacement cable, which I accepted, wearily. Oh dear, now there's "a problem with the Microsoft Store". Could this be why, a day or so later I heard that my CC had been "compromised" and had to be replaced?

Eventually the store was fixed. MS (Canada for some reason) informed me that a new cable was now authorised. I requested postal delivery rather than courier - a method that could easily end up costing me a couple of entirely wasted days - and in any case the package would easily fit through a letterbox. Er, no, not possible. I don't think that requires further comment. I will never buy any other MS hardware - they haven't got a bl00dy clue.

Roy

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · USB Type-C coming soon

^^^^

Roy I have the SP1 (same body as your SP2 )
I have no issue with the USB3 slot (could do with another though) or my Display port to HDMI cable i have .

windows 8 on the other hand............... but thats another story .

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · USB Type-C coming soon

I'd be happy if tech went to contact - à la Apple's MagSafe - rather than insert-socket.

Aug 16, 2014 at 01:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · USB Type-C coming soon

oh, that would be an error in judgment. somewhat good (if you don't mind a little arcing on occasion) for a power cable not a great idea for a data one.

any of these beats a firewire 400/800 plug. a disaster in industrial design.

Aug 16, 2014 at 01:51 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · USB Type-C coming soon

I hope there is a USB 3.0 A to C cable.

EBH

Aug 16, 2014 at 09:57 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · USB Type-C coming soon

Of course there will be

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · USB Type-C coming soon

sjms wrote:
oh, that would be an error in judgment. somewhat good (if you don't mind a little arcing on occasion) for a power.

Just ideas. I always presume if engineers were to do so they'd overcome any obstacles.

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · USB Type-C coming soon

or make greater ones.

Aug 17, 2014 at 07:28 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · USB Type-C coming soon

It looks at first glance like this connector meets the user requirements and functional requirements. Of course it is a compromise given the large variety of devices and hosts that must be accommodated.

EBH

Aug 17, 2014 at 09:47 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.