Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · 6D landscape exposure using smartphone?

lighthawk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 6D landscape exposure using smartphone?

RobDickinson wrote:
I only use cable release for astro and when I need precise timing (seascapes)

Exactly. I've been wondering why I have a cable release/IR when it's just easier to go 2 sec or 10 sec delay?
This is for landscape and not action, of course.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:29 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 6D landscape exposure using smartphone?

A cable release is a lot easier and does not require one to touch the body when taking multiple images for panos/HDR for example. It also allows better control of exact shutter timing than the self timer when it is a bit windy for example.

I do sometimes use the LV, but mostly with a TSE or just as a focus check. I can see that would work with a self timer for some purposes.

EBH

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:43 AM
lighthawk
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 6D landscape exposure using smartphone?

Good points, EBH. I hadn't considered muliple pano scenario. I usually am triggering a bracket. Certainly timing, whether a lull in the wind, or crashing wave would indicate a release cable or wireless as preferred.

Aug 15, 2014 at 01:00 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 6D landscape exposure using smartphone?

If you go 2 second timer and bracketed shots for HDR the camera will take all the shots for you.

But I carry a cable release (often 2), and a giga t pro wireless trigger also, good cases for all 3 options.

Aug 15, 2014 at 01:46 AM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 6D landscape exposure using smartphone?

Again

Quote from From Canon Europe ...
The early model lenses which do not have this automatic function and which should have IS turned off (ie lock the IS correction lens group in place) when mounted on a tripod include the following lenses:

EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
EF75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
EF300mm f/4L IS USM

Canon addressed the ‘feedback loop’ in later model IS lenses by introducing an algorithm to the IS detection system to automatically recognise when the lens is mounted to a tripod. When these lenses are mounted on a tripod and the shutter button is pressed halfway, the IS system kicks in and the image in the viewfinder can be seen to go through a very slow vertical shift for about one second.

If the shutter button remains depressed halfway the IS system detects the lack of motion and automatically switches into a special mode. In this mode IS detects and corrects for mirror slap and shutter movement at slow speeds, but not for ‘normal’ lens shake. There is no advantage to be gained in turning off the IS function or locking the mirror prior to exposure.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:26 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 6D landscape exposure using smartphone?

Some of my IS lenses have the tripod-sensing algorithm and others do not. My process when using an IS lens on a tripod is to turn IS off. This is an advantage for me, because it eliminates one variable from the process and the result can never be "wrong".

Aug 16, 2014 at 07:30 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.