FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

Well, I just finally gave in and upgraded to Photoshop CC & Lightroom. I decided that I was done pouting about the subscription model or software and not actually "owning" the software forever. I hardly own any DVD anymore because I stream everything that I watch, so why should software be so different?

Anyway, enough about that polarizing and overly covered topic. My point is this: holy crap! I feel like I can fix anything now! Highlight and shadow recovery is a completely different ball game. Noise reduction is soooooo much better. Content aware fill? Heck yeah!

To be fair, I upgraded from CS4. I was living blissfully ignorant in the dark ages. One thing that I am really excited about is the improvements I can already see in my web compression. I had been losing clarity for reasons I never understood, but now I am much happier with the results.

Below is a meh photo from last year that I was able to resurrect some with,little effort. You are all probably way passed the excitement stage since this software has been out a while, but I just wanted to share my enthusiasm :-D.

Original JPG - f/2.0 35mm 1/50s no flash, ISO1000000

Same image, RAW file adjusted quickly in LR only.

Aug 13, 2014 at 08:26 PM
NYstyles
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

I personally think Lightroom is the poo! I can do my work so efficiently and with ease. I barely use Photoshop... While its old news to me, good for you! Ive never looked back!

I also like the cloud, it works for me as I use four programs often. I LOVE Illustrator!

Aug 13, 2014 at 09:39 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

BSPhotog wrote:
holy crap! I feel like I can fix anything now! ... Noise reduction is soooooo much better.

Sounds like you haven't been using dedicated noise reduction software?

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:33 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

I have to say your edited image there looks like it was run through some sort of watercolor filter. Way too much noise reduction going on there.

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:54 AM
david1234
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

Sometimes you gotta just B&W it
http://f.cl.ly/items/0o3X30143s2s282P001y/1011386.jpg

Aug 14, 2014 at 01:49 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

david1234 wrote:

But I don't see any blacks there.

Aug 14, 2014 at 01:55 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

Black fail!

Aug 14, 2014 at 02:21 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

ricardovaste wrote:
Black fail!

Aug 14, 2014 at 02:35 AM
david1234
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

Aug 14, 2014 at 03:00 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

david1234 wrote:

http://f.cl.ly/items/0o3X30143s2s282P001y/1011386.jpg

Okay, so I went a little nuts with the NR. Nope, no dedicated noise reduction software in the past.

Actually, black and white was my original strategy for this and neighboring images. Here is my original black and white edit from CS4:

Aug 14, 2014 at 07:25 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

BSPhotog wrote:
Anyway, enough about that polarizing and overly covered topic. My point is this: holy crap! I feel like I can fix anything now! Highlight and shadow recovery is a completely different ball game. Noise reduction is soooooo much better. Content aware fill? Heck yeah!

To be fair, I upgraded from CS4. I was living blissfully ignorant in the dark ages. One thing that I am really excited about is the improvements I can already see in my web compression. I had been losing clarity for reasons I never understood, but now I am much happier with the results.

All of this is in CS6. The last time I upgraded was when CS6 came out, how long ago was that, 2.5-3 years ago? As of right now CC has nothing that I need. They just keep adding automated tools that are of no value to me. I could live the rest of my photography days never upgrading from CS6. Same with LR 5.x. I have spent all the money that I ever need to spend on Adobe products they are so mature now, they do everything that I need or ever will need to do with my photos. I only reason I would want to upgrade any of their products is to keep them running as fast as possible under the current Mac OS. I don;t need any more tools.

Aug 14, 2014 at 08:13 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

MRomine wrote:
All of this is in CS6. The last time I upgraded was when CS6 came out, how long ago was that, 2.5-3 years ago? As of right now CC has nothing that I need. They just keep adding automated tools that are of no value to me. I could live the rest of my photography days never upgrading from CS6. Same with LR 5.x. I have spent all the money that I ever need to spend on Adobe products they are so mature now, they do everything that I need or ever will need to do with my photos. I
...Show more

That was what I thought about CS4 a few years back, but then I stopped being content. My first plan was to wait it out and pick up a cheap (ish) CS6 after it was replaced and dropped in price, but I have never seen software retain value as well as Photoshop CS6!

Aug 14, 2014 at 08:24 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

BSPhotog wrote:
That was what I thought about CS4 a few years back, but then I stopped being content. My first plan was to wait it out and pick up a cheap (ish) CS6 after it was replaced and dropped in price, but I have never seen software retain value as well as Photoshop CS6!

Basically I have been upgrading PS every 18 months since version 3, not CS 3 but version 3 (1995). At roughly $180.00 very 18 months or basically the same price as the monthly subscription is now. It has now been about 30 months since my last upgrade which was to CS6. So I'm actually saving money now. Anyway, I just don't see CC offering me anything more in the way of tools. I mean, how much more can I do to my photos?

Edited on Aug 15, 2014 at 08:06 AM · View previous versions

Aug 14, 2014 at 08:32 AM
OlafSiebert
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

I use C1... no need for both PS or LR.

Aug 15, 2014 at 04:02 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

C1 gives great output but after some testing I could not really see how it would suit in a workflow where really large number of images must be edited. Seems perfect for a smaller collection of shots, not so much for events. Lightroom seems much more adjusted for that.

Aug 15, 2014 at 04:21 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Great, now I can take worse photos : -/

ricardovaste wrote:
Black fail!

david1234 wrote:

Yer a good sport, David.

Aug 15, 2014 at 05:38 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.