New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

firingsquad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

The Fuji X-T1 has really got me considering selling off my Canon gear and making the switch to mirrorless. I've been searching around, and can't really find any good info on how this handles exposures of over 1 minute when using a remote release. I've found lots of info regarding light leaks on the lower serial numbered X-T1's but Fuji seems to have addressed the issue.

I shoot a lot of long exposures, and noise is a bit of a concern of mine. Has anyone really pushed this camera to see what it can handle, yet? I'm planning on renting one for a week prior to pulling the trigger, so I'll be able to test it then and see. It would be nice to talk to some people and get first hand experience though.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 13, 2014 at 02:40 PM

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

Hi there.
I used X-E2 for night shots. 30 sec. exposures are ok at base ISO 200. The only problem I met is there is no way to frame a shot through EVF/LCD due to lack of light. It's tooooo dark so you feel urself almost blind. That's why I had to shoot a frame then recompose, and shoot another then recompose (again if needed)... etc. Quite time-consuming!
Forgot to mention, don't rely on AF as well as framing through EVF, reason is the same - too dark.

Fuji RAWs are very editable. Here are 2 variants of 1 shot: edited in PhotoNinja and original.

DSCF1633_v2 by AlexDROP, on Flickr

DSCF1633 by AlexDROP, on Flickr

Edited by Guest on Aug 15, 2014 at 02:50 AM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2014 at 02:47 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

Be sure to set NR in camera to its lowest setting

Aug 13, 2014 at 02:56 PM
apsphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

for night use you need to set the settings to not show you the level of exposure in the evf, in other words during the day I want to see how the exposure looks as I change settings, at night I want that turned off.

Alan

Aug 13, 2014 at 03:42 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

It works very well, not quite as cool as Olympus with the cool bulb preview mode where you can watch the image "develop" over the course of the exposure but it otherwise works great and gives very clean files

X100s, XE2, XPro and the XT1 I owned all did nice long exposures

Aug 13, 2014 at 04:10 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

I've been very impressed with long exposures from the X-T1 and really all the Fuji cameras. 5 minute+ exposures show very little noise at base ISO.

Aug 13, 2014 at 07:22 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

millsart wrote:
It works very well, not quite as cool as Olympus with the cool bulb preview mode where you can watch the image "develop" over the course of the exposure but it otherwise works great and gives very clean files

X100s, XE2, XPro and the XT1 I owned all did nice long exposures

+1

That Oly feature (which I haven't used) sounds like such a nice feature to have. Sure, it might only show the development step-wise, and it might drain battery-- but it's just a great option to have.

Aug 14, 2014 at 02:41 AM
firingsquad
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

I was unaware the Oly had an exposure preview, seems like a pretty cool option for getting the exposure look you're after.

the fact this thing can handle a 5+ minute exposure and produce a useable image is great news.

all that said, how many of you made the swap to mirrorless? did you sell off all your other gear, or keep it around and use both? Seems like such a huge leap of faith to sell off all my L glass and my 6D. selling the body isnt a big deal, but the glass is going to hurt.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM
apsphoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

I kept my Canon gear, Fuji does not have a 300mm f2.8 or a 500mm..... so I kept the Canon and lenses. Sold one body kept the other. I have to say I have hardly used my Canon gear, but it does not hurt me to still have it.

Alan

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:53 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

firingsquad wrote:
I was unaware the Oly had an exposure preview, seems like a pretty cool option for getting the exposure look you're after.

the fact this thing can handle a 5+ minute exposure and produce a useable image is great news.

all that said, how many of you made the swap to mirrorless? did you sell off all your other gear, or keep it around and use both? Seems like such a huge leap of faith to sell off all my L glass and my 6D. selling the body isnt a big deal, but the glass is going to hurt.

I have kept my 5D, 35L, and manual alt lenses.

And I'd recommend anyone considering going mirrorless keep their DSLRs at least for some time after getting the mirrorless system-- and to move towards mirrorless slowly and incrementally. There are plenty of things DSLRs still do better, and there's nothing worse than selling your whole system-- one you've used with success for years-- on the chance that a new system is going to be good enough to replace it for you... only to find out the new system doesn't work for your needs.

Both systems have strengths and weaknesses, and I think it's hard to totally grasp this for one's own shooting until one has the chance to really explore those things firsthand. I'm not talking about image quality here, but all the other things that go along with shooting any system.

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

firingsquad wrote:

I switched full time four years ago and have never looked back. I had some great Canon glass too...100L macro, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 35L. Good news is that the primes in Fuji land are right up there with the best glass in Canon and Nikon land. The zooms are very good, though perhaps not quite as good as the best Canon zooms.

Aug 14, 2014 at 01:53 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

Jman13 wrote:
I switched full time four years ago and have never looked back. I had some great Canon glass too...100L macro, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 35L. Good news is that the primes in Fuji land are right up there with the best glass in Canon and Nikon land. The zooms are very good, though perhaps not quite as good as the best Canon zooms.

What 1:1 macro are you using on your Fuji?

Aug 14, 2014 at 04:08 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

I'm not. I have the Fuji 60 macro which gets me 1:2, and is pretty good, though it's not quite as good as the best macro lenses. My combo of choice for serious macro work is actually my Olympus E-M5 with the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro. 1:1 on m4/3 is VERY close, and it's got decent working distance, is small and weather sealed, outstanding optically and the 5-axis IBIS works great with it....most enjoyable shooting rig for macro I've used.

The Fuji 60 is really nice for butterflies and such where you don't need to be super close, though it isn't exactly a speed demon with focusing.

I reviewed the Zeiss Touit 50 Macro for Fuji and it's an outstanding lens...optically better than the Fuji 60 in pretty much every way, but it's got some major handling flaws. It desperately needs a focus limiter and the working distance at 1:1 is super small since it's only a 50mm lens and it's internal focus, so at 1:1 it's probably closer to 30mm.

Aug 14, 2014 at 04:25 PM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

I have an X-E2 and 3 Fuji lenses. I ended up selling my 5DII, L-glass and Canon primes. Zero regrets. I haven't had the "bad copy" lens problems I had with Canon, and the Fuji AF, while a touch slower, is consistently accurate without the need for AF fine-tuning. (I don't shoot fast action.)

Sal

Aug 16, 2014 at 09:28 AM

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

firingsquad wrote:
all that said, how many of you made the swap to mirrorless? did you sell off all your other gear, or keep it around and use both?

Quite tricky questions, at least for me, cuz I had got good shooting experience with my X-E2 kit yet I swapped back for Canon FF.
Don't get me wrong. I think Fuji X system is excellent but it is not ideal and has got its own shortcomings (at least for me):
- impossibility to frame a shot at night (too dark in EVF) - I don't know how to mitigate this issue;
- RAW convertion issues - ACR is still very poor in this / PhotoNinja gives stunning results except highlights recovery/ increasing clarity / selective color correction. I think PN is still the best;
- field curvature of 18-55 kit lens at long end for shooting landscapes (you should use outer focus points);
- weak battery;
- no way to AF, meter and shoot via separate/dedicated buttons;
- thin DOF shooting issue at last (not a problem of Fuji X exclusively).

Although I must admit its strong points:
- always more correct expose metering and more consistent AF;
- light weight;
- outstanding jpeg quality;
- very good SN ratio.

Previously I owned 5D original then I tried X-E2. Finally I sold the kit and switched to Canon 6D / EF 24-105 / 35 Art / CZ 100 MP. Do I regret? Yes, but I couldn't afford myself owning 2 systems.

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

I too have been looking hard at the XT1 as I'm getting to really hate carrying heavy photo gear around on trips. There might be a problem with the XT1 for what you want though. From what I've been able to find out on the internet:

--->No cable release

--->No self timer

Kent in SD

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

X-T1 has a self-timer and an intervalometer. I believe fuji offers a cable release that mates to the X-T1 as well.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:05 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

Two23 wrote:
I too have been looking hard at the XT1 as I'm getting to really hate carrying heavy photo gear around on trips. There might be a problem with the XT1 for what you want though. From what I've been able to find out on the internet:

--->No cable release

--->No self timer

Kent in SD

Where have you been looking to get this info ? Ken Rockwell ? The XT has a self timer, interval timer, and you can even control it via a smart phone over wifi

Aug 18, 2014 at 01:45 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

As above: the X-T1 has 2 and 10 second self timer, plus one of the best intervalometer implementations around (actually shuts down the camera between exposures for long intervales). In addition to the expensive RR-90 wired remote release that Fuji makes for the X-T1, you can use the cheap Vello wired remote for Canon in the mic port as a remote release that works perfectly. This costs $8.

Aug 18, 2014 at 02:03 PM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji X-T1 and long exposures

Maybe I'm missing this, but is there a way to set a long exposure beyond 30 seconds "in camera" (on X-T1) or do you have to either use the bulb setting while holding down the shutter (not good for keeping the camera steady) or using the remote cable release? I'd love to be able to set this in the Remote Camera app or in the camera so I don't have to be physically connected to the camera while the shutter is open.

Thanks,
Jon

Oct 06, 2014 at 09:54 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.