Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

benee
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

Had a great time walking around with a co-worker of mine and her fiance. My Second E-Session – Crit is welcome!! For my part, I am happy with some of these images, but I also feel like much of my portraiture is too square and static.

And yes, this is a bit of an over-share. Sorry.

3a

3b

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:42 AM
tele_pathic
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

In general, a good set. I like a lot of these.

13. Glass reflection I like, and clients like this type of shot, for good reason I think.

16. I really like the low-key b&w here.

15. I don't get this at all. What's the context of the environment? Do they work there? Is that where they met? If so, ok, that enviro shoot makes sense. If not, I don't get it.

6, 13, 19. As they move-in to kiss, his expression does not quite match hers. She is smiling, and he is not.

10, 18. He is looking at her, but she is looking elsewhere, not at him, not at the camera. It looks odd to my eye. I would ask her to look at the camera.

Are these too square and static? Hmmm, I don't know. Yes, many of the poses are similar, but that might be a result of the over-share you mention. But you have a couple "fun" shots I there.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

nice eclectic mix

Aug 13, 2014 at 04:36 PM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

tele_pathic wrote:
In general, a good set. I like a lot of these.

13. Glass reflection I like, and clients like this type of shot, for good reason I think.

16. I really like the low-key b&w here.

15. I don't get this at all. What's the context of the environment? Do they work there? Is that where they met? If so, ok, that enviro shoot makes sense. If not, I don't get it.

6, 13, 19. As they move-in to kiss, his expression does not quite match hers. She is smiling, and he is not.

10, 18. He is looking at
...Show more

Thank you. I really appreciate your taking the time and thought to critique. Re 15, they do work on the campus ( not in that building) but really we just wanted to try something different. For what it's worth, that is one of the clients favorites!

Aug 13, 2014 at 05:50 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

A lot of these could use some cropping.

Aug 13, 2014 at 09:01 PM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

For a second engagement session, I think you got some good variety in here. The WB in #1 and #13 are much warmer than the other color images, which threw me off a little.

As for your feeling of the portraits being too "static", it honestly depends on the couples and how long it takes them to get comfortable. I find some couples are much more natural in front of the camera and we go start to finish with good images, while others can take a good 15 minutes to the first hour to warm up to me & the camera. It also helps when you're more comfortable directing, interacting with the couples, which might come more with experience

Overall I think you did a nice job and i'm sure they will be happy with these!

Aug 13, 2014 at 09:41 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

what's up with the title.... ARod... lies!

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:17 PM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

Not a lie! He happens to share a name with a certain baseball player! . Any thoughts on the images?

jamesmorophoto wrote:
what's up with the title.... ARod... lies!

Aug 14, 2014 at 06:21 AM
coreybell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

As mentioned, if this is only your second engagement shoot then you are doing a good job.
Your composition is good and your lighting looks good too.
From the pics you posted, most of the variety lies in your post processing, it's good also though a wide range.
For me #8 looks great, not because it's probably the least processed, but you caught them in a more natural, good feeling, least looks like a posed shot.
Keep up the good work.

Aug 14, 2014 at 07:12 AM
Michael Schoelen
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

Great job here is some of my feedback

#1 I feel like the colors don't match the rest of your set. I think the picture is a little warm and maybe the skin colors are off.

#7 is great

#9 love the rim lighting there.

#16 for me the frame is a little dark overall

Nice job for a second shoot.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:43 PM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

Thanks! # 16 was a bit of an experiment, i shot it with a normal exposure and brought it way down in post. i like it, personally, but I can see how it doesnt really match the rest of the set.

same with number 1 and 13, I probably overcooked them a tad. this was intentional, they are a bit warm and don't match the tone of other color shots in the set.

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:37 AM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

JR Magat wrote:
For a second engagement session, I think you got some good variety in here. The WB in #1 and #13 are much warmer than the other color images, which threw me off a little.

As for your feeling of the portraits being too "static", it honestly depends on the couples and how long it takes them to get comfortable. I find some couples are much more natural in front of the camera and we go start to finish with good images, while others can take a good 15 minutes to the first hour to warm up to me &
...Show more

Thanks! I appreciate the crit. i think I needed to slow down a bit. I was actually a bit manic and could have slowed down to get a little more variety with posing. We did have good interaction, I just need more experience posing I think!

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:39 AM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

benee wrote:
Not a lie! He happens to share a name with a certain baseball player! . Any thoughts on the images?

yes, they need more cowbell! (e.g. more backlighting!)

don't be afraid to let the couple be a small part of the image. keep it interesting.

you can't always get lucky with couples that have amazing chemistry, but you can always make an interesting composition.

avoid kissing shots like the plague, btw.

there are much more subtle and engaging ways to have your couple interact w/o being lazy and resorting to the no-brainer "omg kiss!".

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:21 AM
benee
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · E-session with ARod - let the crit fly!

Thank you - good points for sure. the couple had plenty of chemistry, I just need more experience in posing, I think!

Aug 17, 2014 at 01:37 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.