New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Digital Art, Smartphone & Abstract | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Photo-Art

raven4ns
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo-Art

Hello,
For those that use software to turn their images into digital paintings, what program(s) do you use? The software suggestions I am looking for are those that do the painting for you. However, you are able to change the parameters giving you input into the process and the final look of the photo-art.
I would like comments from people who are using the software and why they like it. When it comes to painting, I would enjoy the final outcome without needing the talent to paint it myself, I have enough frustration in my life already....lol. Thank you.

Tim

Aug 13, 2014 at 09:55 AM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo-Art

Check out my review/thread that I started at Windowsecret.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/161934-Programs-to-convert-your-photos-into-art

Aug 13, 2014 at 08:26 PM
raven4ns
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo-Art

Thank you Lyle for the information, I appreciate it. With the research you have done over the years, have you ever come across a filter or plugin that gave a reasonable representation of a painting? I use PSP X6 as my editor and like it but it doesn't have all the plugins that PS has. Having said that, with this latest upgrade I can use a lot of PS plugins as well as a number of other things that wasn't available before.
Given all the filters, plugins etc that are available for PS trying to find a few good plugins to help with converting images to paintings seems like hunting for a needle in a haystack. The things that interest me the most are watercolors, oils, acrylics and pastels. Photography is still what will drive me but I would like to extend my photography into Photo-Art. Initially I though DAP was the one I would go with, especially with the auto painting feature, however, it seems like much of the features are based on Van Gogh which I have never liked. You have used it for many years and have a different perspective I know. I'm trying to find something similar to DAP but with a greater range of features and yet still include auto painting.
In the next week or so I will be buying Nik filters and use it as a stand alone as it doesn't work with PSP. The main reason I am buying it is for Silver Effex pro 2 as I enjoy B&W images with a cool selenium tone. I would like to experiment with painting using a B&W image as my base which might be easier using a painting software with a greater range than DAP. My assumptions may be from lack of knowledge on my part and not having spent long enough with the software. I'm hoping that you might be able to give me some ideas and direction as to which path I should consider regarding painting software. Thank you.

Tim

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:31 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo-Art

DAP comes close to a start it and forget it automated art program, but alas, even it is only a tool for me and I have to "tweak" results further (my editor of choice is GIMP) until I'm happy. I guess, I can still dream of the day that a one click art plugin will truly exist (again, I can dream; lol).

Aug 14, 2014 at 05:34 PM
web52
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo-Art

The best photo -> painting will not be a simple easy push button.
Check out Brad Buttry
http://www.buttryphotography.com/virtualpaint/virtualpaint.html

I try, I work at it, but it takes dedication.

Aug 14, 2014 at 08:59 PM
raven4ns
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo-Art

Thank you web52 for your response and suggestion, I appreciate it.

Tim

Aug 15, 2014 at 05:49 AM
deny

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo-Art

Hi, as for me I don't like to use Photoshop because it demands definite skills. I like to use online photo editors, for example loonapix.com. There are many cool effects and wonderful frames. You needn't knowledges in photo and simple using.

Aug 15, 2014 at 07:40 AM
raven4ns
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photo-Art

Thank you deny for your suggestion. Most of my images fall into either nature/landscape or abstracts and look better with a traditional frame, at least to my eye.

Tim

Aug 15, 2014 at 08:22 AM
Blakemore
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photo-Art

Tim when it comes to painting filters in PS, Alien Skin "Snap Art 3" is a very good option. It has a lot of presets but also many controls to fine tune your desired result.

Topaz "Simplify 4" is another option but it's not dedicated to replicating various painting styles as much as Snap Art is.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:04 PM
raven4ns
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photo-Art

Thank you, Blakemore for your suggestions. I use Paint Shop Pro X6 for my editor which I find much to my liking but I must see if Snap Art 3 will work with it. While I have tried Gimp, my computer skills are not up to the task of using it and PS is too expensive.
My next plugin will be the Nik suite simply because that is the only way you can buy them now. I really only want the Silver Effex Pro 2 as I enjoy doing B&W shots and then adding a selenium tone to them.
When it comes time for me to extend my photography to digital painting I will certainly look at Snap Art 3, in fact I will see if it runs on PSP X6 in a few minutes. Thank you again for your suggestions and kindness.

Tim

Aug 27, 2014 at 09:30 AM
Steve Bingham
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photo-Art

Dynamic Auto Paint ( DAP 64 Pro) does exactly what you are looking for. Try it, then buy it.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Steve Bingham
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photo-Art

Dynamic Auto Paint ( DAP 64 Pro) does exactly what you are looking for. Try it, then buy it. Many options, extensive controls - like a slider that goes from realistic to surreal, and another that goes from Faithful to Impressionistic. You can add a canvas texture or not. Then there are 6 additional tabs that open more choices. There are also over a dozen painter styles to choose from.

I also use Snap Art 2 by Alien Skin. Both are excellent programs.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:28 PM
pellepiano

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photo-Art

In Photoshop there is also some options, like the very seldom used Pattern Stamp, that can be used to simulate paintings. No skills required but it can be time consuming as it is manual work . This is made with it, and added a canvas later.

Oct 07, 2014 at 02:40 PM
RickPerry
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photo-Art

I have been using Topaz Simplicity - BuzSim seems to be my favorite so far. Also impressions works for certain photos. Certain Sony Cameras have a "Watercolor Effect" that is fabulous.. I wish there was a software program that could duplicate that effect??

BuzSim

BuzSim

Impressions

Nov 20, 2014 at 09:11 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photo-Art

Yes, Photoshop is expensive because it does so much. You could easily get by with using Photoshop Elements. Besides giving you useful editing tools, it also has several effects that can be applied. Regardless of what artistic filters you are going to use, it is always best if you have an interesting photo with good post-processing to start with BEFORE you apply your artistic effects.

Topaz filters can be used alone, or you can combine them with Photoshop Elements effects.

Photoshop Elements: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/features.html

Topaz Filters: https://support.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/204039043-Will-Topaz-plugins-work-with-Photoshop-Elements-13-

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Anymouse02

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photo-Art

I use a number of different paint programs such as several different Topaz, DAP, PS.and sometimes Painter X. In all I mostly alter the presets to my own needs either before processing or after.
You can see my work here:

http://delangphotographics.smugmug.com/

Nov 20, 2014 at 07:01 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Photo-Art

Like your stuff Anymouse.

Nov 20, 2014 at 08:01 PM
Anymouse02

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Photo-Art

Thank you for the compliment, lylejk. I get a great deal of satisfaction out of creating something I and others will enjoy.

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM

FM Forums | Digital Art, Smartphone & Abstract | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.