Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Seaside: Any Special Post-Care?

onegreatcity
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Seaside: Any Special Post-Care?

Back today from two weeks in Nova Scotia. My gear went to the beach (not near the surf), on a whale watch, and bird hunting near a salt water marsh. I had filters on my lenses at all times but I wonder if, unbeknownst to me, sea air or spray might be at work on my 1D4, 100-400, and 24-70? To the naked eye, it all looks clean.

Any special steps I need to take? Thanks...

Aug 13, 2014 at 05:48 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Seaside: Any Special Post-Care?

Hi Cam,

It should be fine. A quick blower treatment and rubdown of the lens and camera outer body surfaces with a soft cloth might help your peace of mind.

You'd know if the conditions were nasty enough to warrant special protection, because your eyes would feel it.

Aug 13, 2014 at 05:59 AM
jhg photo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Seaside: Any Special Post-Care?

Yes, wipe it with a slightly damp cloth to remove any eventual salt residues. You had robust gear with you.

Aug 13, 2014 at 06:11 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Seaside: Any Special Post-Care?

Yes!

Pour beer. Drink beer. Repeat. Plan next trip to the beach.

For your camera? No. And it doesn't matter if you had "robust gear" or an entry level DSLR. Unless it's coated with caking salt, or dripping with sea-spray... you probably get more salt and wet on it from your sweaty hands a hundred miles from the sea anyway.

Don't worry about it. Back to beer.

Aug 13, 2014 at 07:06 AM
Garylv
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Seaside: Any Special Post-Care?

I shoot near the surf pretty regularly and carry a soft cloth to just wipe down the gear as I leave. That's plenty sufficient.

The gear is actually more robust than you might think. I've been doused by a big wave that caught me off guard next to the shore. It was a huge splash. Took out the camera battery and poured bottled water over the camera & lens to rinse off the salt water, wiped them down and let them sit overnight. Everything works perfectly and has for a long time now. Don't worry, I have no plans to sell that gear on FM.

Aug 13, 2014 at 07:49 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Seaside: Any Special Post-Care?

Are you from Winnipeg, or what

If so, this method is for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lrdkFXsr5Us

Could not resist.

Aug 13, 2014 at 08:49 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Seaside: Any Special Post-Care?

Thanks all! And Tony, yes to Winnipeg. The closest we come to salt in our natural habitat is the stuff we throw on the streets all winter!

Aug 13, 2014 at 09:45 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Seaside: Any Special Post-Care?

onegreatcity wrote:
Back today from two weeks in Nova Scotia. My gear went to the beach (not near the surf), on a whale watch, and bird hunting near a salt water marsh. I had filters on my lenses at all times but I wonder if, unbeknownst to me, sea air or spray might be at work on my 1D4, 100-400, and 24-70? To the naked eye, it all looks clean.

Any special steps I need to take? Thanks...

Not really.

If you see some spray residue on the front of your lens (or filter) you can clean it off. That's about it.

Dan

Aug 13, 2014 at 09:45 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Seaside: Any Special Post-Care?

Just don't forget that beer!

Positive reinforcement for going out and taking shots. Pre-emptive combat against "losing the magic" as some folks put it in threads here every once in a while.

Aug 13, 2014 at 09:53 AM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Seaside: Any Special Post-Care?

I usually just wipe down my gear with a wet/damp face towel after being near the ocean or in really dusty places. I also unscrew all filters and clean the threads just in case something got in there that could cause them to bind in future. Takes me about 5 minutes.

And then I have a beer

Aug 13, 2014 at 03:26 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.