Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · TheFilterDude Lee Filter Foundation Kit Alternative and 105mm Accessory ...

mingzeli
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · TheFilterDude Lee Filter Foundation Kit Alternative and 105mm Accessory Ring Reviews

Hi guys,

I have came across with TheFilterDude Lee Filter Foundation Kit Alternative on ebay, bought it and really like it. I have a youtube review here if you are interested:

Recently, TheFilterDude also release a 105mm Accessory Ring that is compatible with Lee 105mm Circular Polarizer. I also reviewed it here:

Overall, I think TheFilterDude products provide great value in terms of price, quality and compatibility, especially the accessory ring and adapter ring.

If you want to save some bucks, go for it. If you have more questions re it, shoot away. If you like the videos, please click 'Like'.

Thanks

Aug 13, 2014 at 01:05 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · TheFilterDude Lee Filter Foundation Kit Alternative and 105mm Accessory Ring Reviews

Interesting.... did notice what seemed to be rather a large gap between the filter and lens in the demo. Wonder how light leakage could effect results from using it?

Aug 13, 2014 at 08:32 AM
mingzeli
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · TheFilterDude Lee Filter Foundation Kit Alternative and 105mm Accessory Ring Reviews

schlotz wrote:
Interesting.... did notice what seemed to be rather a large gap between the filter and lens in the demo. Wonder how light leakage could effect results from using it?

Glad you asked.

I took a picture using the big stopper and thefilterdude holder and didn't see any light leak:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/118385905@N05/14206855674/

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · TheFilterDude Lee Filter Foundation Kit Alternative and 105mm Accessory Ring Reviews

Sorry, not a very valid test. In the photo posted the light source (sun) is obviously forward of the direction of view and you are getting some flare from internal reflections in the lens.

Light leak would be expected if the sun were to the side and slightly behind the plane of the filter. I would suggest a test where direct sunlight should be hitting the back of the filter from an oblique angle to generate reflections on the ND filter. Any effect could be tested by shading or not shading this direct light hitting the back of the filter. The reason for the foam surround on the Lee Big Stopper is to block out these reflections originating from the side and behind the filter. Whereas these reflections may also be present at very low level in a GND use, the intensity of faint reflections would be greatly amplified with the long shutter times of a 10 stop ND filter.
Mike K

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Sweetf8
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · TheFilterDude Lee Filter Foundation Kit Alternative and 105mm Accessory Ring Reviews

A 82mm ring from The Filterdude I bought on Ebay could not be completely threaded onto my Canon 24mm TSE mark II. The gap on the ring was too narrow to go over the 'bump' which used to hold the lens shade in place.

I have only tried 1 ring size on 1 lens, but before buying, make sure the ring would fit nicely on your lens.

Although I have decided to keep the ring to avoid hassles I would buy LEE ring next time.

Aug 27, 2014 at 09:22 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.