Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · HS Volleyball Assignment

dbuono

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Volleyball Assignment

I was asked to shoot some HS volleyball here in Central Texas for a local paper. First, for all those volleyball shooters, I want to give major props. It is damn hard to shoot volleyball as the action is fast and focus is very difficult. Second, I enjoy the challenge and hope to be taking more (and better) pictures in the future.

Any C&C would be welcome as this is always a learning process.

Aug 12, 2014 at 09:35 PM
dbuono

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Volleyball Assignment

Here are a few more. The last is my favorite of the bunch.

Aug 12, 2014 at 09:36 PM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Volleyball Assignment

Wow, have you ever been on the steep part of the learning curve since your first volleyball post.........so much so that I have no business offering critique anymore.

Nevertheless, here goes. If it were me, I would never take that 300 mm off the camera. Some great stuff here in a crappily lit gym.

And please number your photos.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Volleyball Assignment

Nice job. #2, 4 and the last one are great! Keep on shooting.

Aug 13, 2014 at 06:23 AM
dbuono

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Volleyball Assignment

Thanks for the advice and comments. I hope to keep pressing my personal envelope and improve myself with every shoot.

Aug 13, 2014 at 02:50 PM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Volleyball Assignment

Never had the opportunity to cover volleyball....but I can only imagine the challenges.

Anyways - if I counted correctly....#'s 3, 4, 7, and 10 are my favs based on focusing on the fundamentals of sports of photography.

One nit-picky comment for #4, not sure if you had the room to crop, guessing not...but if you did, I would have included the entire left-foot, especially since you have took to the left. Anyways....great facial expression capture!

One question - how do you manage WB in these gyms? Asking because I'm constantly challenged during wrestling...but this season I'm looking to do custom WB

Lastly, solid set and thanks for sharing...these will help visualize shots when a volleyball opportunity comes up.

JC

Aug 13, 2014 at 04:09 PM
dbuono

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Volleyball Assignment

JC - in response to your WB question - this is the first time I used custom white balance. I did this as a test to see how well it worked out. So, the reason I tried this out was that many of the sports shooters I know like to use custom WB when they are indoors so they don't have to mess with it later. I listen and read up and the best I could tell was to shoot either a white piece of paper or 18% gray card (focus doesn't matter, but fill the frame does) at f8 lowest ISO possible. Next is to review the image and make sure you have a nice histogram spike right in the middle of the histogram. If the spike is too far off center, reshoot to get a better pic to use. Then, use this image to set the custom WB.

I had a few shots (out of a few hundred) that were a little different. I think that these were just caused by the artificial light cycles and I would hit one every now and then. In the end, I really think it worked well and I will continue to use this for indoor sports going forward.

Hope this helps

Aug 13, 2014 at 04:27 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Volleyball Assignment

I agree with your assessment. I believe of the 8 sports I shoot for the local paper, volleyball is the hardest to do right. Backgrounds are usually lousy/busy. Getting a sight line is always challenged by player movement. Shots from the stands down onto the net line are nearly always messed up by the net judge. Shooting thru the net works about 1 in a 100.

I really like #5. Deep dig. Good emotion. Exact moment of execution. Wish you could have gotten her left toes

Number 8 is also good though we always dream of catching that shot with full ball compression. I've gotten it a few times.

I'm curious as to why/how you could use a 300mm lens. I work in small mining towns and reservation schools and there's just not enough room for something that long. (Nor is there enough light for f/2.8). I shoot with fast primes moving to different areas but most often working about 1/3 of the way down the out line shooting in at the players. I get better isolation and often much better emotion/face. I find I have to keep moving and get low as in down on my knees. Believe when I say I'm sore after a 5 set match.

Good first effort, but in general the thru the net shot at a kill attempt rarely comes off dramatic particularly if you're looking at the backs of opposing players. Best kill shots I've gotten have been from close to parallel to the net.

It's about time to start up again here. Wonder where my kneepads are?

Robert

Aug 13, 2014 at 05:21 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Volleyball Assignment

OntheRez wrote:
I'm curious as to why/how you could use a 300mm lens. I work in small mining towns and reservation schools and there's just not enough room for something that long. (Nor is there enough light for f/2.8).

Robert

300mm does seem a little long for indoor volleyball

Aug 15, 2014 at 05:19 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HS Volleyball Assignment

For JV and Varsity HS games, I generally split my time fairly evenly between a 300/2.8 and a 70-200/2.8. No problem using the 300 in most HS gyms unless you are dealing with the little practice gyms they make the Freshman teams play in.

A lot of my best shots at the net were with the 300.

Aug 15, 2014 at 06:39 AM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HS Volleyball Assignment

Thanks for clarifying your WB procedures....I bought one of those Lastolite pocket card things and it's paid off reducing WB adjustments in post.

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.