FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · The Pool

morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Pool

The hike to the Pool was on a trail with a lot of variety. We passed through meadows, along towering cliffs, through the woods of veering types of trees and saw a few areas affected by flooding and also a forest fire. The pool it’s self was a pleasant rapid with a bridge that is up hill just like the trail it’s as it passes over the pool. I found it challenging to find interesting compositions so played with slow shutter effects on the moving water.

072914DSC_8076 by Morris0, on Flickr

D300 + 24-85mm @ 48mm, ISO 200, 2 seconds, f18, 3 stop ND + CPL

072914DSC_8081 by Morris0, on Flickrr

D300 + 24-85mm @ 24mm, ISO 200, 2.5 seconds, f18, 3 stop ND + CPL

072914DSC_8108 by Morris0, on Flickr

D300 + 24-85mm @ 62mm, ISO 200, 1.6 seconds, f22, 3 stop ND + CPL

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris

Aug 12, 2014 at 06:52 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Pool

Morris, I like the shutter speeds and exposures on these images. On both of the first two images, it looks to me like your horizon was not level (especially with the second image). Perhaps you meant them to be that way. To my eyes, the composition of the first image seems a bit unbalanced. However, I think I see what drew you to that image - the stream is beautiful and the colors and textures of the rock are fascinating. Do you have a similar image where the rock is not quite so prominent in the image? I hope my comments help. Just my point of view, needless to say...
Keith W.

Aug 12, 2014 at 08:20 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Pool

kwilliam8 wrote:
Morris, I like the shutter speeds and exposures on these images. On both of the first two images, it looks to me like your horizon was not level (especially with the second image). Perhaps you meant them to be that way. To my eyes, the composition of the first image seems a bit unbalanced. However, I think I see what drew you to that image - the stream is beautiful and the colors and textures of the rock are fascinating. Do you have a similar image where the rock is not quite so prominent in the image? I hope my
...Show more

Thank you Keith,

these are very helpful comments. The images are bubble level and having a bridge that was not level had me taking double takes, especially when the trees tilt. If you look at the trees in the background there verticle. So the question that I keep asking my self especially for the second photo is should I make the tree on the right level as it's very prominent. For the first I have a vertical that has less of the rock on the right and more on the left. That one dose nothing for me.

Morris

Aug 12, 2014 at 08:39 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Pool

I too like the water texture especially the last one. The second shot could have been better with stronger foreground element. I find that wide angle shots need a strong foreground element to make it interesting unless you have a great scene to work with.
Harsha

Aug 12, 2014 at 08:54 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Pool

Regarding the second image... Wow, that is one confusing scene! I believe what you are saying. Many of the trees look vertical. However, the bridge angle looks almost identical to the level of the level spots in the stream. And that angle looks about 90 degrees from the angle of the bright tree next to the bridge. Are you sure this isn't one of those spots where gravity and other laws of physics are not obeyed Good luck figuring out what to do. Glad it isn't my image.
Keith W.

Aug 12, 2014 at 08:58 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.