Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

isaacimage
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

Hello dear friends
I'm shooting people mostly and was very interested in this comparison,
So for those who is also interested here we go

Canon 1dx + 85L at 1.8 on the left
and
Nikon D810 + 85G 1.8 at 1.8 on the right

I didn't use 1.4 Nikon version as in my opinion 1.8 much sharper at 1.8 and the rest apertures.
So enjoy.

In other hand love the sound and the filling of the d810 shutter it's just incredibly quiet.
and the weight of the Nikon combo much lighter

But screw the weight and sound if 1dx giving me those results

Edited on Aug 15, 2014 at 06:23 AM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2014 at 04:45 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

1DX plus 85L is an amazing combo. I can't imagine ever needing to print larger than this would let me. I certainly don't need more megapixels.

I actually did a portrait shoot for a friend and gave them the full res 1DX files. Had some nice full length vertical portraits of their kids. I went over to visit them a month or two later and saw the portraits on the wall. They had cropped a horizontal head shot out of the vertical full length image, throwing away about 80% of the image.... and then they had printed it at 16x20 inches!!

I was amazed at how good it looked.

Aug 12, 2014 at 05:10 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

Thanks for sharing but I don't really get what this implies? You've basically compared a lens shot wide open with another lens that's been stopped down from 1.2 to 1.8 and costs 4 times more. Also, how does this have any implications regarding the D810 vs 1DX?

I am not criticizing your test just inquiring

Aug 12, 2014 at 05:19 PM
isaacimage
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

Sheldon N wrote:
1DX plus 85L is an amazing combo. I can't imagine ever needing to print larger than this would let me. I certainly don't need more megapixels.

I actually did a portrait shoot for a friend and gave them the full res 1DX files. Had some nice full length vertical portraits of their kids. I went over to visit them a month or two later and saw the portraits on the wall. They had cropped a horizontal head shot out of the vertical full length image, throwing away about 80% of the image.... and then they had printed it at
...Show more

He he, nice story Sheldon.
Regards to a resolution, 18 mp it's about right amount for any type of event job, if you are going more to a fashion or commercial workflow - there is never enough

Aug 12, 2014 at 05:25 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

Color looks different. Sharpness looks about the same although the Nikon is back focused slightly.

Aug 12, 2014 at 05:32 PM
isaacimage
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

hijazist wrote:
Thanks for sharing but I don't really get what this implies? You've basically compared a lens shot wide open with another lens that's been stopped down from 1.2 to 1.8 and costs 4 times more. Also, how does this have any implications regarding the D810 vs 1DX?

I am not criticizing your test just inquiring

I'm comparing those two as those are sharpest 85mm offered by both companies.
There is many factors in this comparison that actually making this comparison a bit unreliable , no tripod, to studio lights, not the same lens etc. AA filter vs non AA, sensor sharpness , lens sharpness of both companies.

I personally was interested to see how both combos are perform on the field.
As finally Nikon camp get reliable d800 body aka d810

There is nothing to do with price difference of those lenses / cameras, and was really impressed as I was expected non AA filter body + sharpest Nikon 85 lens (according to photo zone and many other resources) performing better than 1dx + 85L

Aug 12, 2014 at 05:35 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

isaacimage wrote:
I'm comparing those two as those are sharpest 85mm offered by both companies.
There is many factors in this comparison that actually making this comparison a bit unreliable , no tripod, to studio lights, not the same lens etc. AA filter vs non AA, sensor sharpness , lens sharpness of both companies.

I personally was interested to see how both combos are perform on the field.
As finally Nikon camp get reliable d800 body aka d810

There is nothing to do with price difference of those lenses / cameras, and was really impressed as I was expected non AA filter body + sharpest
...Show more

Fair enough Can you share results with both stopped down to 5.6?

Aug 12, 2014 at 05:46 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

While I agree that you've effectively compared the two setups in a way that they might actually be used, there are so many variables left unaccounted for that it's impossible to really draw a conclusion .

(nailing the D810's focus on the subject's eye, balancing the color, and rendering both shots to the same output resolution in addition to the 1:1 comparisons would help, as would using the same lens (Sigma 85/1.4), similarly positioned lenses (85L against 85/1.4G), or stopping down to 'clean' f-stops where the Nikon 85/1.8 doesn't lose as much contrast)

Aug 12, 2014 at 05:52 PM
isaacimage
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

hijazist wrote:
Fair enough Can you share results with both stopped down to 5.6?

Sorry not using those lenses at 5.6

Aug 12, 2014 at 05:58 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

I see sharpening halos in the 1Dx file, none on the D810.

Besides, I don't think you focused the D810 as well as it could have been.

But still, very nice file from the 1Dx.

Cheers,
Bernard

Aug 12, 2014 at 05:59 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

If sharpness/detail is being compared, then it makes sense to have all areas in focus and to set the lenses at one of their sharpest apertures.

Nikon image is focused more forward then Canon image.

Nikon $3300 + $500 = $3800
Canon $6500 + $1600? = $8100+

If the point to this comparison is not sharpness/detail, then what is the point?

Aug 12, 2014 at 06:44 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

Agree the test is a bit lopsided and meaningless, but it does remind me how much I dislike Nikon skin tones

Aug 12, 2014 at 06:54 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

form wrote:
If sharpness/detail is being compared, then it makes sense to have all areas in focus and to set the lenses at one of their sharpest apertures.

Nikon image is focused more forward then Canon image.

Nikon $3300 + $500 = $3800
Canon $6500 + $1600? = $8100+

If the point to this comparison is not sharpness/detail, then what is the point?

The point is that even with all the hype about Nikon's MP superiority the 1Dx combined with a nice lens takes all of that away.
Better more accurate AF combined with better glass equals better final image.
36mp is of little use if your AF and glass cant support it.

Aug 12, 2014 at 08:40 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

dehowie wrote:
The point is that even with all the hype about Nikon's MP superiority the 1Dx combined with a nice lens takes all of that away.

I am a Canon user, but it is really shocking that anyone can infer from such a test any conclusion related to AF accuracy, resolution, glass quality, sharpness, ISO performance, or any other measurement.

He compared a STOPPED DOWN lens with a lens used WIDE OPEN! With no tripod, different ISOs, different processing, different everything. I asked to have a side by side by side image at 5.6 and the response was, "sorry not using those lenses at 5.6" So if you shoot wide open, how about a side by side image of both of them wide open?

Both the 1DX & the D810 are phenomenal bodies targeted towards different types of photographers, but I am really trying hard to get my head around this test.

Aug 12, 2014 at 08:52 PM
isaacimage
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

dehowie wrote:

Tanx for understanding.
Most people here are straggling to get this point.

For all of those who is looking for a scientific test - it's WRONG place.
I was looking for this kind of test, and was no one , so I did - hope to some people it will be interesting.

And doesn't matter how much lens is stopped down.
By the photo zone tests 85G 1.8 waaaay sharper than Canon's L.

And BTW no words on colours - wasn't the point of test !
Peace

Aug 12, 2014 at 09:02 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

hijazist wrote:
... I am really trying hard to get my head around this test.

No matter what Nikon does, Canon always wins .

Seriously, this is just a practical test - and the famed 36 megapixels of the Nikon do nothing for him in this particular case.
That's my reading, at least.

Btw, the Nikon shot is slightly front-focused.
That makes the eyes of the model blurrier than the Canon.
Again, though, this is a practical test, so nailing the shot without effort also counts.

Aug 12, 2014 at 09:09 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

Well said, makes a lot of sense.My D700 produced better pics than my D800e until I changed my shooting style and my glass.

jorkata wrote:
No matter what Nikon does, Canon always wins .

Seriously, this is just a practical test - and the famed 36 megapixels of the Nikon do nothing for him in this particular case.
That's my reading, at least.

Btw, the Nikon shot is slightly front-focused.
That makes the eyes of the model blurrier than the Canon.
Again, though, this is a practical test, so nailing the shot without effort also counts.

Aug 12, 2014 at 09:22 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

jorkata wrote:

Or, the difference is simply down to user technique (or user error)... ?

Aug 12, 2014 at 09:24 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

No doubt, Canon has SOOC processing down pat. Nikon files require a bit more love, but it's worth it.

Aug 12, 2014 at 09:28 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 1dx vs Nikon d810 for portraits in non scientific environment ;)

This is only tangentially related to the test above, but it is interesting that the 1DX did hit the focus.

One thing that I have never gotten a clear answer on, is the accuracy of the auto focus on various Nikon systems.

We know from Roger Cicala's tests that the Canon 1DX and 5DIII have more precise auto focus than most other cameras. Most Phase Detection systems have some error:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/autofocus-reality-part-3b-canon-cameras

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/autofocus-reality-part-4-nikon-full-frame

As recently as February, Roger has implied that those are still the only 2 cameras with more precise Phase Detection. I am surprised that we haven't heard more about this:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/02/why-you-cant-optically-test-your-lens-with-autofocus

I know that I have been frustrated when testing the Phase Detection auto focus on my D7100 when trying to use micro adjust. I couldn't get any of my test shots to repeat the focus with quality near what I was able to accomplish with Live View Contrast Detection or with Live View manual focus.

It would be useful to have detailed tests on comparable systems. I am waiting for Photokona to see if the 7DII really does have the auto focus system of the 1DX..

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:05 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.