New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · New to Nikon World

mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New to Nikon World

You know, following johnctharp's point about the 2 systems - that is something that I had not thought about. I think I agree with him completely on keeping both the 5D3 and the D800.

I have the Canon 24-70 2.8 II and 70-200 2.8 II. I have been reluctant to sell those two lenses. I hate, hate, hate to shoot with lesser glass. But I don't want to spend another $3,000 (at used prices) to buy the Nikon 24-70 & 70-200 II right now.

I am shooting a Nikon D7100. I also just bought a Canon 6D for higher ISO event work with those 2 Canon lenses.

I also bought a Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS Nikon (about $350 used) and a Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS Nikon (about $700 used), because those were the 2 sharpest zooms as ranked by DxO for the D7100. So I covered the same 2.8 "base" range for $1,000 total.

The Sigma also focus & zoom in the same direction as the Canon, which helps a bit when shooting both cameras side-by-side.

Then I bought the Sigma 85 mm 1.4. (I plan to buy the ART version of that if it is announced at Photokina.) I will also buy the Sigma 35 mm 1.4 ART and the Sigma 50 mm 1.4 ART.

I will shoot lower ISO, higher DR stuff on the Nikon for now, with very good glass that cost about 1/3 of the Nikon equivalent. And I will shoot higher ISO event stuff on my best Canon glass. As I mentioned above, I am also probably going to stick with the Canon 600EX flashes too, because I already have them and they have radio control.

+++

I will wait to see what Canon announces at Photokina. Hopefully we will get a new sensor. I will also wait to see what a potential 5D4 looks like in February/March. Then I may swap, and do a Canon crop/Nikon full frame system, or full frame for both systems.

Something similar may make a lot of sense for you! Invest in only THE BEST glass, but avoid major duplicates between the Canon and Nikon sides.

Although if you are stopping down to f/ 5.6 or 8.0, there isn't as much difference between lenses. So save the money for those things that you will shoot wide open, like the Sigma ART 1.4 lenses or similar.

Good luck!
Michael

Aug 13, 2014 at 05:28 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.