New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Help

lmatherwelch

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help

Hey everyone - I need some help. Over the past 2 weeks I've had 6 different memory cards corrupt. I've been able to recover most of the images - but last night's session was missing 40 pictures out of 200.

I shoot on a Canon 5d mk ii - I suspect this is a camera problem. But Canon seems to think it's a memory card problem - and want 300 bucks just to look at the Camera. And 10 days minimum to repair. Unfortunately I have 2 weddings this weekend and am trying to decide whether I need to a: buy new cards, or b: buy a new camera.

Eeek. Any insight is sooooo appreciated!

Aug 12, 2014 at 02:16 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help

The only thing you can do in a hurry is isolate the problem by trying the camera with a different (known working) card and trying the suspect cards in a different camera

If I had to bet I'd say it's a card reader problem, to have so many go at once this would be my guess

If you are doing paid work you need to think about hiring or borrowing gear so you don't let clients down and you ALWAYS need a backup anyway

Aug 12, 2014 at 02:18 PM
tuantran
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help

There are applications out there that lets you do a low level format on the cards and check them for corruption. Another easy test is to use a compact flash reader to fill the card with JPEGs and copy them back onto the HDs. If those JPEGs are readable from the HDs, then the card is ok. Now do the same with the camera attached to the computer and the CF in the camera. If the camera is corrupting, you can find out very easily.

Last, if the camera is tethered and you are getting corruption, then I suspect internal memory (camera buffer) problem.

Aug 12, 2014 at 02:27 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help

Send the camera in, rent another body with memory cards.

Aug 12, 2014 at 02:34 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help

2 weeks for 6 memory card corruptions.

I'd be highly sceptical that it would be a CARD issue .(1 well yes , 2 in a couple of weeks would be very unlucky but 6 well unlikely )

Have you checked things like:
CardReader - tried a different one
Cable - if dl'ing from camera via cable rather than a reader . (or indeed the readers cable)
PC/Mac - maybe a different machine won't cause the corruption

Worth checking thru any / all of those before sending the camera in

Aug 12, 2014 at 03:06 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help

Make sure the insertion slot is clean, that there's no dust or other obvious debris in between the pins and such.

Do the same for your card reader, and check your computer for viruses and malware if you don't do so regularly.

Aug 12, 2014 at 03:11 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help

If you can share one of the corrupt files (preferably raw) I can take a look at it. I've worked on flash products (engineer) and can tell by the signature of the corruption what the likely cause was. You can share the raw by using https://www.transferbigfiles.com/ and then posting the resulting link here.

Aug 12, 2014 at 03:11 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help

I have never had a bad card in 10+ years of shooting digital. 6 bad cards seems way over the top in terms of probabilities taht it was the cards them selves.

Either the reader of the camera? Is there a pin bent in teh camera?

I don;t see how you can trust the camera for a wedding. You probably need a backup anyway. buy one of the $2,554 5DIII bodies on eBay, a used body here, or rent??

I would probably buy a 6D right now if I had to buy, given the relative cost and the expectation of something new in a sensor from Canon at Photokina.

Good luck.
Michael

Aug 12, 2014 at 03:30 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help

snapsy wrote:
If you can share one of the corrupt files (preferably raw) I can take a look at it. I've worked on flash products (engineer) and can tell by the signature of the corruption what the likely cause was. You can share the raw by using https://www.transferbigfiles.com/ and then posting the resulting link here.

Btw, here's a sample analysis I did on a corrupt file from a D800 CF card. My conclusion was a bad card in this instance, mostly likely a faulting channel within the flash.

Analysis:
"Three of the four NEFs have unwritten byte lanes (FF's), whereas one had entire blocks of unwritten data (FF's). Three of the files fail to load at all in ACR/NX2 and one file loads only in NX2 but NX2 crashes before rendering of the initial raw is complete. In all cases the corruption begins and ends on 32KB boundaries and is periodic throughout the files. This was on a Lexar Professional 400x 32GB card, which I purchased very recently and have only used on a D800."

Corrupt Image
Corruption Analysis

Aug 12, 2014 at 03:40 PM
lmatherwelch

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help

Thank you all so so much. I did take the camera in - I called on a favor and they will at least look at it by tomorrow - I have a back up camera - but it's a 7d - and I don't love shooting receptions with it - because of the noise.

In my code red panic - I may have jumped the gun about running out and buying a new camera. I have a rental secured for the weekend if I need it.

Thank you Snapsy - I'll do that tonight.

Aug 12, 2014 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.