New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Acratech ballhead issue w/400 2.8+2x+1.4x+1DX

schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Acratech ballhead issue w/400 2.8+2x+1.4x+1DX

So, put that rig on my acratech GP and went out to shoot the moon. When I get it pointed up about 20º and try to tighten the knobs to keep it in position its a no go. It stays put for a sec or two then starts allowing the rig to continue to slip ie camera body going down and lens pointing further up. If I wouldn't have been right there a very expensive crash would have ensued. Puzzling part is the head is "rated" for 25 lbs which Acratech indicates it 'easily' can do. This rig weighs 16 lbs and the head fails misserably.

At this point, I need to locate a head which can without hesitation hold this rig at a +20º angle. Anyone have experience with this type of rig and shooting the moon? What worked for you?

Matt

Aug 12, 2014 at 01:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Acratech ballhead issue w/400 2.8+2x+1.4x+1DX

I used my 1DIV with 500/4L IS + 2x III, on a Manfrotto Neo-Tec 685B monopod with MH-01 monopod head.

Super moon 10 August 2014

Super moon 10 August 2014, 100% crop

Aug 12, 2014 at 01:47 PM
mogud
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Acratech ballhead issue w/400 2.8+2x+1.4x+1DX

schlotz wrote:
So, put that rig on my acratech GP and went out to shoot the moon. When I get it pointed up about 20º and try to tighten the knobs to keep it in position its a no go. It stays put for a sec or two then starts allowing the rig to continue to slip ie camera body going down and lens pointing further up. If I wouldn't have been right there a very expensive crash would have ensued. Puzzling part is the head is "rated" for 25 lbs which Acratech indicates it 'easily' can do. This rig weighs 16
...Show more

What lens plates were you using for your setup? I would be using only RRS, Wimberely of Acratech lens plates. Personally, my preference for such a heavy rig would be the AS Z1 or the RRS BH-55.

Aug 12, 2014 at 04:20 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Acratech ballhead issue w/400 2.8+2x+1.4x+1DX

Did you adjust the friction after putting that rig on the head?

Aug 12, 2014 at 04:45 PM
powaysteve

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Acratech ballhead issue w/400 2.8+2x+1.4x+1DX

I would say for that amount of weight (and the moment arm involved) you should use either a gimbal or the Acratech Long Lens Head. The Acratech Long Lens Head is considerably cheaper and lighter than a full size gimbal. I had a gripped 5D3, 1.4X and 200-400 f4 rig on the Long Lens head for about 2 hours in Yellowstone (on a windy hillside) and it held it rock-solid the whole time at about a 20+ degree up angle.

Aug 12, 2014 at 05:34 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Acratech ballhead issue w/400 2.8+2x+1.4x+1DX

Jim, I got similar results but out of pure luck considering I was supporting the rig and using IS with a high SS. Mono huh? Pretty good! What I'm looking for is a stable setup so I can use mirror lockup, 2 sec timer, Live View to fine tune the AF with a lower ISO. I'll take a look at the BH-55. Thanks for the suggestion.

mogud: I'm all arca-swiss, foot on the 400 is a replacement with it built.

peter: yes friction knob was adjusted, yet still a no go

Stephen: hmm...maybe a gimbal is the better way since my rig unfortunately weights a bit more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Aug 12, 2014 at 06:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Acratech ballhead issue w/400 2.8+2x+1.4x+1DX

Hi Matt, I'd use my Wimberley Sidekick on Manfrotto 468MG head. That's OK for my 500/4L IS, but might not cut it for your 400/2.8L, unless it's the IS Mk II, which weighs the same as my 500L.

Aug 12, 2014 at 06:18 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Acratech ballhead issue w/400 2.8+2x+1.4x+1DX

Was wondering about the sidekick. Appreciate the input Jim. Most likely this will end up being the excuse to go with the full Wimberely Gimbal

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:20 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Acratech ballhead issue w/400 2.8+2x+1.4x+1DX

schlotz wrote:
peter: yes friction knob was adjusted, yet still a no go

OK so your GP may be overwhelmed by your particular rig. The Acratechs have 38mm ball diameters so to stay with a ballhead you might need the suggested A-S Z1 or RRS BH-55 which have 54 and 55mm diameters respectively.

WRT using a Sidekick with an Acratech head Wimberley has this comment: "We generally do not recommend the combination of the sidekick and the Acratech for lenses larger than a 300 2.8. Nevertheless, some of our customers report complete satisfaction using the Acratech with the Sidekick to support a 500 f4 lens."

This comment was on a page that highlighted an Ultimate and not a GP. If you're considering a Sidekick with your GP I'd call Wimberley rather than Acratech. As much as I respect Acratech's engineering (I use an Ultimate and a GP) I would look to Wimberley first for advice.

While I no longer use DSLRs I'm keeping my Z1 just in case. Once you get something like a Z1 or a BH-55 you just can't let it go because you just never know...

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:15 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Acratech ballhead issue w/400 2.8+2x+1.4x+1DX

Good points Peter, appreciate it for sure Additionally, I need to think about how close the full Wimberley Gimbal is to the BH-55 in price.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Acratech ballhead issue w/400 2.8+2x+1.4x+1DX

schlotz wrote:
Additionally, I need to think about how close the full Wimberley Gimbal is to the BH-55 in price.

Well there's a big difference there, I think a Wimberley WH-200 is ~$600 and a BH-55 is ~$450. However a Sidekick is ~$250 so if you get a ballhead and a Sidekick that's ~$700. You need to future-proof your investment I think.

I never considered anything like this as I just don't use big long focal length lenses but if I did obviously it would be just a Sidekick as I already have a Z1. I guess in one sense getting a reliable & sturdy ballhead is a safe interim step. Also a lot of people use Sidekicks and seem to find them particularly useful in situations where they frequently alternate ballhead and gimbal use, so it seems the combo makes for a pretty flexible kit.

Aug 13, 2014 at 01:51 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.