New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · How to align a photo

BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to align a photo

Hopefully I can explain what I want to do well enough to get the answer I need, here it goes. I want to create a photo I have in mind, it'll be 3 separate images, taken roughly 8 hours apart, due to time constraints I can't sit in the same exact spot for 16 hours. I'll do my absolute best to position everything right where it was (using a tape measurer and angles). Obviously a few things in the photo will be changing, but for the basic landscape I'd like it to align perfectly as possible. How would I go about doing this? I was thinking about first leveling the image with a set fixture, then layering them in photoshop. Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:16 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to align a photo

Mount the camera on a tripod. Mark the location of the tripod feet precisely (as possible). Or better still, place the tripod feet in a static reference point (concrete joint, paint line, etc. @ urban). Create your own ref points (or physical block) with three nails in the dirt, etc. They can be driven "below grade" and nobody will know they are there but you.

Leave the camera mounted (no changes in registration) on the tripod during the non-shooting interval. Replace tripod to same position.

Ideally, you wouldn't even fold or retract your tripod legs, but as long as you can do so repeatably @ full extension, solid, secure locking points, etc. you should be in pretty good shape to maintain registration of the scene between shots. Cross-checking your distances/angles image/scene ref points is of course viable, but if all three feet are set in the same spot, triangulation should put you looking in the exact (theoretically speaking) same position without the need for any measurements.

The fewer variables you contend with, the better your ability to replicate registration. Leaving the camera mounted to the tripod mitigates leveling, sliding, rotating or tilt angles imposed in an effort to reposition the same. Just don't move the position and there is no need to attempt a "re-position".

If it is a "secure" location, you could just leave the tripod in place ... but I suspect that isn't going to be the case.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:30 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to align a photo

I've got a pretty good idea of how I'll keep the in the 'exact' same position. I've got a great ballhead that won't move either when locked down. I'm more curious as to the photoshop side of things. Is there a feature I don't know about to align multiple photos? Kind of like an HDR process would do, but in layers?

Aug 12, 2014 at 04:10 PM
jleom
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to align a photo

Is this what you are asking about?

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-autoalign-layers-in-photoshop-cs6.html

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/understanding-adobe-photoshop-cs6/autoalign-command/

I have used this method on occasion and it works quite well.

Leo

Aug 12, 2014 at 04:23 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to align a photo

jleom wrote:
Is this what you are asking about?

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-autoalign-layers-in-photoshop-cs6.html

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/understanding-adobe-photoshop-cs6/autoalign-command/

I have used this method on occasion and it works quite well.

Leo

Thanks, I think that might do the trick, I'll have to take my photos and see.

Aug 12, 2014 at 04:49 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.