New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

byteseller
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

Yes I know it was expected... but that still does not mean Apple's abandonment of Aperture is any less painful for those of us that haven't jumped to LR (or other management systems) yet.

Just wrote a blog for users of Aperture on our college campus (quite a few) on how to deal with this.... here is my take on what to do for now:

http://at.blogs.wm.edu/rip-photo-management-application-aperture-gone-but-not-soon-forgotten/

Aug 11, 2014 at 05:44 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

Nice article... W&M alum here

Aug 11, 2014 at 06:52 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

byteseller,

I stared Aperture at ver. 1.5 and used it exclusively until about 8 months ago. By almost any measure it was - until mid 2012 - superior to its imitator and competitor. I still firmly believe Adobe would have never created Lr if Apple hadn't broken ground with what was almost a whole new category of software: powerful DAM with adjustment abilities and an open architecture for additional tools. To this day I'm still convinced that Adobe just doesn't "get" Lr, but it sells so they keep fudging it along.

I finally decided after the long absence of improvements that Apple would abandon Aperture and made the difficult move to Lr. Yes, you are correct on all levels. One can retain nearly all of the work done in Ap but it takes a lot of work. Those who used Ap to "manage" files rather than ingesting them into the Ap database will have an easier time of it. I chose to move now, because any waiting meant more photos and more work. I think all current Ap users should consider that fact.

It took me at least 2 weeks (not full time) to move to Lr, and yes I did lose some modifications and versions along the way. I just couldn't spend the time to make sure that my 300GB database had every version saved as final.

Lr is okay, and frankly it is now better than Ap at its demise. Still Adobe's interface sucks (as it does frankly in all its products). I miss many things about how Ap worked seamlessly, whereas I have to keep reminding myself to switch to the appropriate module and that things are different here. I've basically gotten use to it, but I work with the tool knowing that there was once a better one that could have been great.

I think my real disappointment was that Apple didn't choose at the moment of Adobe's "cloud" to throw resources at turning Aperture into a powerful competitor of Photoshop focused on PHOTOS as opposed to the the graphic arts kitchen sink Ps has become. I guess it was a statement that Apple is no longer vitally interested in computing having moved on to portable consumer devices. I believe Apple could have truly eaten Adobe's Ps marketshare if they had completely rejuvenated and extended Ap. They didn't. Ap is gone, and this is hardly the first time Apple has invented a category and then abandoned it.

Robert

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

I'm with you on many things. I'm in the carry on camp. Due to the way Apple implemented support for raw (through the OS) Aperture is able to develop raw files that my Adobe installations will not (e.g. Panasonic GH4).

Just because Apple abandoned it doesn't mean it no longer works, it still works as well as the day before they abandoned it, so it's good to use for a while yet.

I've tried LR and dislike much about it. I don't like the library module, I like somethings about the develop module, but why on earth do we have to have 'modules' at all? Why can't I do everything in the develop module I can do in the library module with the same short cut keys, e.g. rating etc? Crazy.

I'm going to hang on to see what Apple give us (2015) in the new photo app. I'm expecting it to :

• Be as good at developing photos - it's going to be based on the same OS stuff is my expectation
• Have a photo library that can import Aperture / iPhoto libraries
• Be fast because it will be GPU accelerated - something Adobe is lagging behind on.

Whether we get everything from Aperture is anyone's guess, OTOH, we could get more than Aperture currently offers. Until it ships who knows?

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

Aperture still works but on one of the articles that has been going around the Web, perhaps it is not being abandoned completely. With the new OS they will bring in the new Photo App. This from what I hear will work with both Aperture and iPhoto libraries or at least import them. The app could be a slight advancement on Aperture, hopefully but will be for iPhoto.

Apple has a real history of not saying anything until they release the product. I am still holding out to see what the new app will bring. They have already stated that there will be an update to Aperture to allow it to run on the new OS.

Aug 13, 2014 at 01:55 PM
byteseller
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

Brit, hadn't heard about the commitment to have one more Aperture update(s) for Yosemite... somewhat welcome news as it would allow for me to upgrade OS while I wait to see as to where to transition my photo collection .

Aug 21, 2014 at 01:30 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

The following is a link to an article by Apple Insider where they do say it will be made compatible.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/27/apple-announces-it-will-no-longer-develop-aperture-or-iphoto-os-x-yosemite-photos-app-to-serve-as-replacement

Google is your friend.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2452232/life-after-aperture-and-iphoto-what-to-do-with-your-image-library.html

Aug 21, 2014 at 09:47 AM
byteseller
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

Brit,

Thanks for your links -- while I had not seen these specific articles, believe me I'm very familiar with Google.

But it does bring up a VERY important issue about how Apple has screwed the pooch on a lot of this... which is that almost all of the information at this point is coming from 3rd parties quoting Apple sources. Often what these 3rd parties say is not the same. Is it too much to ask from Apple to give us a concise and OFFICAL roadmap for how they plan to handle this transition/funeral?

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

I think they were offering ways for people to migrate to Lightroom. I still cannot get on properly with it. Apple is playing their normal Low Key approach to it. I have heard rumours that perhaps the new Photo app is more like Aperture than iPhoto. I was just on their support page and Aperture is classified as a Pro App. Curiouser and curiouser.

I tried to search but could not find anything from Apple which I had thought they had done. I am going to carry on doing testing with Lightroom but will still be using Aperture. There has been no mention on what the new Photo app will look like and what functions it will have. Then again there is all those darn plugins I have bought and use. I would say that one of the first to provide plugins would be Topaz Labs.

It is a waiting game. I think the porting of Aperture to run on Yosemite is because they are still developing the Photo App. My main concern is to have the ability to turn off Cloud storage. I do not want several TB of my files in the Cloud.

Aug 21, 2014 at 02:09 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

byteseller wrote:
Yes I know it was expected... but that still does not mean Apple's abandonment of Aperture is any less painful for those of us that haven't jumped to LR (or other management systems) yet.

Just wrote a blog for users of Aperture on our college campus (quite a few) on how to deal with this.... here is my take on what to do for now:

http://at.blogs.wm.edu/rip-photo-management-application-aperture-gone-but-not-soon-forgotten/

I didn't know it was expected. In fact this is the first I heard that they dumped it. When did this happen?

This is kind of sad indeed, I liked Aperture!

IMO an excellent replacements would be AfterShot Pro2, LightZone, or maybe PhotoLine. I mean for those who aren't so gaga over LR and shun PS for whatever reasons.

I suppose I may as well paste my list here again... Many of these are good... a few are as good as Aperture too.

Almost all of these have free timed trial versions you can download in order to evaluate their use as an Aperture replacement for yourself:

Aperture - Download / Site - ........
    CaptureOne Pro - Download / Site - !!!!!!!
    The Gimp - Download / Site - ........
    CinePaint - Download / Site -........
    PS Plugins 4 Gimp - Download / Site - ........
    Matlab - Download / Site - ........
    PaintShop Pro - Download / Site -........
    Photo Impact - Download / Site -........
    AfterShot Pro 2 - Download / Site - !!!!!!!!
    Pixelmator - Download / Site - ........
    GraphicConverter - Download / Site - ........
    RAW Therapee - Download / Site - ........
    ImageJ - Download / Site - ........
    PhotoLine - Download / Site - !!!!!!!
    PhotoShop Elements - Download / Site - ........
    PhotoShop CC - Download / Site - ........
    LightRoom - Download / Site - ........
    Acorn - Download / Site - ........
    AVS Photo Editor - Download / Site - ........
    ACDSee Pro - Download / Site - ........
    PhotoStudio - Download / Site - ........
    Silkypix Dev Studio - Download / Site - ........
    ArtRage Studio Pro - Download / Site - ........
    Photogenics - Download / Site - ........
    Photo Mechanic - Download / Site - ........
    DigiKam - Download / Site - ........
    Erdas Imagine - Download / Site - ........
    Krita - Download / Site - ........
    PhotoPerfect - Download / Site ........
    Photo Plus - Download / Site - ........
    Zoner Photo Studio - Download / Site - ........
    Project DogWaffle - Download / Site - ........
    UF-Raw - Download / Site - ........
    RawStudio - Download / Site - ........
    DxO Optics Pro - Download / Site - ........
    Forografix - Download / Site - ........
    Photo Filtre - Download / Site - ........
    Paint.NET - Download / Site - ........
    Photo Ninja - Download / Site - ........
    LightZone - Download / Site - !!!!!!!

So I guess I should take aperture off the list then? Sad...

Just clicked and they're still supporting it and selling it tho...

$79.99

Category: Photography
    Updated: Nov 14, 2013
    Version: 3.5.1
    Size: 557 MB
    Languages: English, Chinese, French, German, Japanese
    Seller: Apple Inc.
    © 2013 Apple Inc.

So I'm kinda wondering if this rumor isn't just a load of horse manure in all actuality...

Edited on Aug 21, 2014 at 03:03 PM · View previous versions

Aug 21, 2014 at 02:47 PM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

I consider myself semi-pro and have been using Aperture for the past two iterations - happy with (and Nik/Google plug-ins). I am going to wait and see how the Photo App works. I also read that Apple will support Aperture through the next OS update so I figure I have at least a couple of years of continued use of Aperture instead of paying Adobe now . . .

Aug 21, 2014 at 03:01 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

OntheRez wrote:
I still firmly believe Adobe would have never created Lr if Apple hadn't broken ground with what was almost a whole new category of software

IIRC, the Lightroom public beta came out a couple of months after Aperture was released. Apple back then was pretty airtight when it came to rumors, so assuming Adobe first got wind of Aperture upon release in November of 2005, it would have been nearly impossible for them to release a public beta in two months (January 2006).

More likely is that both saw value in this new category of software and their apps were on parallel development paths... Apple just beat Adobe to market, so Adobe... caught with their pants down... put out a public beta to show they were in the game and take a little wind out of Aperture's sails.

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:07 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

jbregar wrote:
IIRC, the Lightroom public beta came out a couple of months after Aperture was released. Apple back then was pretty airtight when it came to rumors, so assuming Adobe first got wind of Aperture upon release in November of 2005, it would have been nearly impossible for them to release a public beta in two months (January 2006).

More likely is that both saw value in this new category of software and their apps were on parallel development paths... Apple just beat Adobe to market, so Adobe... caught with their pants down... put out a public beta to show they were
...Show more

You probably correct in thinking it would have taken adobe longer than that to do a public beta .

But didn't lightroom start when adobe bought (or at least hired the creators) of some other raw software ? My memories a bit dim now but I think it was called RAW ESSENTIALS . I remember there was a free version and a pro version

Anyway , I have aperture but as a longtime LR user (from ver1) I just can't get my head into aperture .
I can see that its a good program and I like a few of its features like the AF point thing (which LR REALLY should have)
For me one of the biggest things about LR is its true cross platform usability . I can work on my imac home machine and then easily continue on my windows 8 surface pro . Flicking back and forth is just a case of taking a copy of the cat file with me .

If I was an aperture user then yes I would start to prepare for a migration to some other software but I would also not migrate just yet as apples new photo app won't be very long before it's released (won't it ship with the new OSX?) and maybe that will be less of an iPhoto replacement and more of an aperture replacement

Aug 22, 2014 at 02:03 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

Bifurcator wrote:
So I'm kinda wondering if this rumor isn't just a load of horse manure in all actuality...

Not much to wonder about ... it is one of the very few Apple "rumors" that is actually true ... it was widely reported and verified that Apple PR contacted several folks who write, blog or otherwise use/promote Aperture directly nearly two months ago to inform them that further development of both iPhoto and Aperture has ceased and will not be supported going past Yosemite. The new Photos app for OS X will replace both current options. It is expected to be more than iPhoto but less than Aperture in it's initial release though, the foundations demonstrated at WWDC earlier this year for the Photos app holds much promise for the the future.

Aug 22, 2014 at 07:35 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
But didn't lightroom start when adobe bought (or at least hired the creators) of some other raw software?

IIRC — it has been a long time! — there was some ancestral connection between Lightroom and Aperture. I'm thinking that they may have shared a source point, which may have been that some of the people working on both programs had originally worked together.

My other now-fading recollection is that Aperture was developed first and that it had the clear potential to be the first potentially viable alternative and competitor to Photoshop, especially in that it came with an Interface that was built from the ground up for photographers rather than designers. One story is that Adobe, who had seen essentially no real competitors for Photoshop in a long time, took one look at what Apple was doing with Aperture, realized they had a potential problem on their hands, and quickly accelerated the development of Lightroom and pushed it out as a free "beta" in order to suppress interest in the Apple product.

Apple's interest in doing Aperture was likely some combination of wanting to simply do a really good and innovative take on photo software and wanting to have their own "pro app" in the photography market, as they already had with film/vidao (Final Cut Pro) and would arguable have with audio/music production (Logic). The main goal of this was most likely not to make a ton of money of the professional software, but rather to push the high end users into the Apple camp and sell them hardware.

That goal is no longer a big one for Apple, and for a variety of reasons.

Dan

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:19 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

Dan , I did a bit of googling to jog some memories

Back before Lightroom thee was a program that was free called RAW SHOOTER ESSENTIALS . By a company called pixamantic .
It seems that adobe aquired pixamantic in 2006 , and if memory from the time used it and the developers to produce Lightroom

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:50 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

It really was nothing more than coincidental development ... I doubt that the people in either house were aware of the simultaneous effort before Aperture 1 or the first Lr Public Beta were offered.

History of Lightroom Development ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_Lightroom

The background on "Shadowland" the Adobe project that started the ball rolling for Lightroom:

http://www.photoshopnews.com/2006/01/09/the-shadowlandlightroom-development-story/

RAW Shooter was purchased early on to acquire some of the RAW processing code that was utilized in the early development to enhance both ACR and the Develop module in Lr. In fact, as compensation/incentive to RS users, they were given a complementary license to Lr ... many of which were less than thrilled at the time.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:33 AM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Dan , I did a bit of googling to jog some memories

Back before Lightroom thee was a program that was free called RAW SHOOTER ESSENTIALS . By a company called pixamantic .
It seems that adobe aquired pixamantic in 2006 , and if memory from the time used it and the developers to produce Lightroom

Pixmantec (maker of Rawshooter software) was acquired by Adobe in June of 2006. That's five months after Adobe released the first public beta of Lightroom (January 2006). While the acquisition of Pixmantic may have accelerated parts of Lightroom's development, Adobe was already well underway on Lr development before they bought them.

A little history on Lightroom... its ancestral roots date to 2002, but development really took off in 2004. It was originally called Shadowland.

So, like I said... Lr was in development long before Aperture was public knowledge. I couldn't find any documentation that there was a common root to them.

Aug 22, 2014 at 01:45 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

jbregar wrote:
So, like I said... Lr was in development long before Aperture was public knowledge....

Lightroom was alos in development before Lightroom was public knowledge! I'd be willing to bet, in fact I'm quite certain, that the same thing was true of Aperture.

Aug 22, 2014 at 03:38 PM
byteseller
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Take on Apple's Abandonment of Aperture

Haven't checked out this Aperture to LR migration took yet, but it has a generally good buzz so far:

https://apertureexporter.com

On the other hand played with LR again this past weekend.... yes the editing power is nice, but the GUI is very un-Mac like and (maybe I need a brain reset) the organizational options seem much more awkward.

Aug 25, 2014 at 01:46 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.