Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications shoul...

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications should I include?

I have amassed quite a bit of camera equipment and in the process of designing a large cabinet to store my lens and flash equipment in. I am looking for suggestions.....

Things I have thought of...

1. Include lighting and outlets for charging batteries
2. Locks on the doors, only to keep honest people honest and my grandson from getting in.
3. Should I include ventilation? Fan at the bottom and outlet on top?
4. Drawers? I have a roll top desk that I also use to store my small lens and Canon flashes in.
5. I will stand up my lighting tripods/stands in it along with my camera tripods.
6. What else?

Your comments are appreciated as I am designing it now to be built by local Amish that are craftsmen at this kind of thing.

Thank you in advance

Aug 11, 2014 at 05:31 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications should I include?

http://www.wayfair.com/Cannon-Safe-Armory-Series-0.5-Hr-Electronic-Lock-Gun-Safe-CA54-CA64-CANN1047.html

Aug 11, 2014 at 07:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications should I include?

Sounds like a neat project. It makes sense to have a fan when you also plan to have batteries charging inside it. Have a look at large diameter fans for desktop computer cases. My desktop has an eight inch, low velocity fan in the top of it that is virtually silent and moves lots of air. I'd put the fan at the top of the cabinet. It would also be nice if you could get a dehydration device to control humidity, like I have in my dry cabinet,

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1002126/0&year=2011#9562176
http://www.totechamerica.com/optics/optical_grade_cabinets_31.php

Drawers on slides are great for storing lenses. I use a smaller dry cabinet for my lenses and cameras, and store my pods, stands, and other stuff on racks in my studio room. It might make sense to group your lenses into like-sizes or like-functions, which would represent the ones you'd like to store together. Almost all of mine are stored either butt down (for most lenses) or nose down (for longer and front-heavy lenses). You should decide which, if any or all, lenses you'll want to store with the hood on (reversed), because this takes up a lot more space. Then you can figure out how many drawers you need and how much vertical clearance each will need. Add about 20% margin for future growth.

It's useful to have a clear flat working surface at a central location and convenient height, where you can attach lenses to cameras, and stack stuff that's going to be put away. I use the top of my dry cabinet, but it sounds like your cabinet will be pretty tall - maybe you could incorporate a working area (i.e. small table top) at the top of an internal drawer unit.

The section where you will stand up your pods and stands could use one or a few moveable bars to prevent stuff from falling out, which they like to do. A couple of small drawers for digital cards, extra batteries, lens and camera caps, filters and etc. would be useful. I generally hang my camera straps and electronic cables on small hooks, which you could probably integrate into the pods & stands area. Also, you should decide if you'll store bags and cases in it.

Aug 11, 2014 at 07:29 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications should I include?

There are some really good suggestions you made.....that I will incorporate into the cabinet. I forgot to mention that this cabinet is in our family fireplace room.....so a gun type safe isn't being considered by me at all. Our home has a monitored alarm system, so someone getting in will have issues to deal with pretty quickly......

jcolwell wrote:
Sounds like a neat project. It makes sense to have a fan when you also plan to have batteries charging inside it. Drawers on slides are great for storing lenses. I use a smaller dry cabinet for my lenses and cameras, and store my pods, stands, and other stuff on racks in my studio room. It might make sense to group your lenses into like-sizes or like-functions, which would represent which ones you'd like to store together. Almost all of mine are stored either butt down (for most lenses) or nose down (for longer and front-heavy lenses). You should decide
...Show more

Aug 11, 2014 at 07:46 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications should I include?

What do I do when I forget the combination? Lol
Jefferson wrote:
http://www.wayfair.com/Cannon-Safe-Armory-Series-0.5-Hr-Electronic-Lock-Gun-Safe-CA54-CA64-CANN1047.html

Aug 11, 2014 at 07:48 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications should I include?

90% of my big whites are in their carry cases/luggage cases.....only one isn't, that is the 400f2.8. VII........my lenses like my 100-400 or the 70-200 are in their white carry cases while my other L lens are in the Cannon leather cases.

jcolwell wrote:
Sounds like a neat project. It makes sense to have a fan when you also plan to have batteries charging inside it. Have a look at large diameter fans for desktop computer cases. My desktop has an eight inch, low velocity fan in the top of it that is virtually silent and moves lots of air. I'd put the fan at the top of the cabinet. It would also be nice if you could get a dehydration device to control humidity, like I have in my dry cabinet,

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1002126/0&year=2011#9562176
http://www.totechamerica.com/optics/optical_grade_cabinets_31.php

Drawers on slides are great for storing lenses. I use a
...Show more

Aug 11, 2014 at 07:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications should I include?

I keep my lens cases on the racks in my studio. I store the lenses with caps and some with hoods. I use neoprene Op/Tech Snoot Boots and LensCoat Hoodies to protect my lenses when they're in camera bags (I don't use dividers), and I store them in a two-drawer filing cabinet that's near to my dry cabinet.

Here's some old photos of my work space,

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1154195/0#11040706

The computer room is much cleaner now, because I added 12' of four-level shelving in the studio room.

Aug 11, 2014 at 08:08 PM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications should I include?

Sounds like a neat project and with your research it's going to be well thought out.

Two possibles ---

add trim to the front of each shelf high enough to help stop things rolling, sliding, or bumped from landing on the floor.

the fan and dehumidifier are great ideas, but incorporate a filter at the air intake: otherwise dust will accumulate in the 'paths' the air follows.

Good Luck ... and Post Pics!

Charles

Aug 11, 2014 at 08:43 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications should I include?

I like to carry my big whites in my backpack, but I have Lens Coat "Travel Coat" for them. I need to get a few more, and where they don't have the size I need, I can get them made for me. Can't carry much more than one...I suppose two but the gear gets real heavy when I do that. It was bad enough this recent trip to Alaska. I had two large carry ons....housed my 200-400 f4, 200f2, Gigapan device, two bodies, 24-105, 28-135 (wife's lens she likes to use...I don't argue), 85 f1.2, 50 f1.4, CamRanger, iPad, charger for 1Dx and 7D, small canon flash, extra cards just in case, heavy duty tripod for gigapan, 100-400.

Thought about taking along also the 800f5.6 or the 500f4......the bulk and weight of everything just got the better of me and I left them at home. When we drive out to Maine next year, most of the gear will go with me.....driving is much easier.....

I keep thinking in some cases I have redundant gear and should thin the herd, first to free up cash (not a priority right now), free up space and finally reduce the items on insurance coverage.

Thinning the herd will be another topic I will launch in a few days to discuss....

jcolwell wrote:
I keep my lens cases on the racks in my studio. I store the lenses with caps and some with hoods. I use neoprene Op/Tech Snoot Boots and LensCoat Hoodies to protect my lenses when they're in camera bags (I don't use dividers), and I store them in a two-drawer filing cabinet that's near to my dry cabinet.

Here's some old photos of my work space,

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1154195/0#11040706

The computer room is much cleaner now, because I added 12' of four-level shelving in the studio room.

Aug 11, 2014 at 09:46 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications should I include?

I'll look after the 800/5.6L IS for you. I'll even buy it a personal dry cabinet.

Aug 12, 2014 at 08:23 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications should I include?

You will be the first person I call!

jcolwell wrote:
I'll look after the 800/5.6L IS for you. I'll even buy it a personal dry cabinet.

Aug 12, 2014 at 07:36 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications should I include?

One more small thing. Consider attaching it to the wall. You never know.

Aug 16, 2014 at 06:51 AM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications should I include?

You might consider some adding some ventilated pockets inside the cabinet to hold pouches of desiccant. You could attach wooden boxes open at the top to the sides of the cabinet, with large perforations on the three non-attached sides.

Sep 08, 2014 at 08:04 AM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Building a custom cabinet for my camera gear...what specifications should I include?

My local Amish guy, Mr. Ikea, suggested I also get bags of industrial desiccant and put one or two in there along with my gear. He suggested that he and Mrs. Ikea had a lot of lighting systems and electrical outlets that they designed to go into the cabinets, but does not recommend the ventilation system you mention. Instead, Mr. Ikea suggested caulking the "seems" and using the desiccant system. Suggesting that a ventilation system would bring in moist air on some days and dry air on others, and if moisture is what I want to avoid, Mr. Ikea was opposed to the ventilation.

Sep 09, 2014 at 08:58 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.