New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · My new digs. Need color help

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My new digs. Need color help

Just about done adding a bathroom and office to my basement. The hallway is what is left over and will serve as a studio. The office is 8x9.5 and the hall is 25 feet by 8 feet.

I took these with my 17tse and some fill flash to help the bulbs. I will have track light when finished with LED and dimmers. I am having shelves put on the walls to display matted but unframed prints. I will have a lot of printing and matting to do when the construction is finished.

I am not so hot at this type of photography and had a hard time adjusting color and they do not look alike. For some reason my flash would not fire on the last image and it had a strong magenta cast at the end, which I have worked on.

the office

hallway from office end

hallway looking toward office.

Aug 11, 2014 at 01:50 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My new digs. Need color help

I'm guessing the walls are white. I took the door colors as reference anyway. Do the colors look more balanced now?
The WB is all over the place in your image
Socrate

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:55 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My new digs. Need color help

When you mix lighting types and spectrums, color correction can be a big problem. If you want consistent color, stick to one light type.

Aug 12, 2014 at 06:00 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My new digs. Need color help

+1 @ Karen

Most folks think about light falloff in terms of exposure, but falloff also includes color of light. This is somewhat akin to painting with a mixture of paint from a gallon of one color and a quart of the other, starting at one end of the room. Then painting the other end of the room with a reversal of color/quantity and trying to get the two to match all the way through ... it's just not gonna happen.

Think Doppler effect of TWO trains moving toward each other vs. one train passing a person standing still ... rather, more as two different colored spherical gradients merging/diverging. The realm of color intensity/hue combinations are a multitude of continuous change, somewhere between 100% vs. 0% to 0% vs 100% of each color and the sliding scale of color combinations they can create.

If you can overpower one of the colors of light, then it can be less problematic in terms of mixed hue, but given the falloff amount over a linear distance, a single illumination source would be very uneven in terms of exposure, so unless you used multiple flash (same temperature) to provide coverage to the room, you're gonna have to contend with sacrificial mixed color lighting. Alternatively, you could gel the flash to match the warmth of the tungsten or change the tungsten to a bulb closer to daylight (i.e. flash temp), or take multiple/stacked exposures via light painting, etc. Single exposure, single flash, multiple colors (tungsten, flash) ... variable color throughout.

Pics such as these ... imo, however are purely informational and I have little/no expectation that a correct color balance would ever be achieved throughout. When I have shot interiors for clients, however I would be using multiple flash placement to maintain color consistency. For these kind of info shots, I wouldn't bother with the trouble to balance both illumination and hue ... i.e. horseshoes & hand grenades @ close enough for government work ... message sent (size/shape of room, etc.), message received (without perfect color balance).

Of course, a mono conversion (employed for those really "problematic" rooms can help mitigate the hue issue too.

Here, I've applied a blue channel mask over a mono layer to neutralize the wall (assuming it to be white) and left just a touch of color at the light (semi-distinct mask for illustration) so it doesn't seem like a B&W quite as much. Through our wonderful layers, masks etc. we can dial it in to taste @ how much color we leave around the light and floor. To make it non-white, we can apply a tint in the mono layer to emulate the paint color / single hue of illumination. Mask work is a little crude, but you get the gist.

Btw, if someone is thinking about a color change, mint green can be previewed, just as easily

More than one way to skin the cat of course, but when it is a Calico ... it gets a little more tricky.

Edited on Aug 12, 2014 at 09:15 AM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2014 at 08:14 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My new digs. Need color help

Shasoc wrote:
I'm guessing the walls are white. I took the door colors as reference anyway. Do the colors look more balanced now?
The WB is all over the place in your image
Socrate

The doors and walls are all the same color and a cream color not pure white. The near wall in my second image is closest.

Aug 12, 2014 at 08:22 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My new digs. Need color help

AuntiPode wrote:
When you mix lighting types and spectrums, color correction can be a big problem. If you want consistent color, stick to one light type.

My flash is not strong enough for such a wide and long area, and the temporary lights were not either. I should wait until I get my new lighting installed and do it without flash.

Aug 12, 2014 at 08:24 AM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My new digs. Need color help

Lots of great wall space for a sweet gallery to display your fine work, Ben!

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My new digs. Need color help

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ Karen

Most folks think about light falloff in terms of exposure, but falloff also includes color of light. This is somewhat akin to painting with a mixture of paint from a gallon of one color and a quart of the other, starting at one end of the room. Then painting the other end of the room with a reversal of color/quantity and trying to get the two to match all the way through ... it's just not gonna happen.

Think Doppler effect of TWO trains moving toward each other vs. one train passing a person standing still ... rather, more
...Show more

The second redo (cream colored) is very close (walls) the doors and ceiling are the same as the walls not pure white as shown. I am setting here and can compare in person.

I am not nearly as good as you on selecting color ranges.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.