New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tele-zoom Advice...

miguellara
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tele-zoom Advice...

Hi guys,

I have a 24mm 2.8d and 85mm 1.8g .... I was saving my pennies to get a tele zoom, first I was thinking of 3rd party lenses but none of them really appealed to me on reviews... way too mixed on good and bad for my comfort.

So I decide to go with Nikon and I started looking at the 80-200mm and doing some research found that there were 3 versions of it and the one to go for is the AF-S, apparently is sharper and focus faster and more reliable, but when I was looking at prices for that version they were in the $800 - $1,100 range for excellent condition ones.... and that was bordering into the 70-200mm VR I territory already so I decided to save a little more and then look for the VR I .

However a friend of a friend had a relative who is not longer with us ( ;-( ) and he is selling his photogear, he is offering me a AF-S 80-200mm in excellent shape with hood and everything seems to be working perfect..... we negotiated the price and he will let it go for $650.... Now at that price is making more sense to me.

What do you guys advice? should I pass and keep saving for the VR I or just get this excellent AF-s 80-200mm for $650.

BTW.... it will be used in my D600 and I usually shoot portrait sessions with kids / pets / graduations... and I really want to start doing some more serious portraiting and start introducing myself into events ( baptisms, weddings) ... I also have some DJ and Promoters friends that are starting to ask me if I can cover some concerts in Night Clubs.....

Thank you.

Aug 11, 2014 at 01:39 PM
Palmguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tele-zoom Advice...

It's a good price, might as well try it out. You won't lose any money on it if you decide to sell it after awhile and upgrade.

Aug 11, 2014 at 02:05 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tele-zoom Advice...

I used to own the two-ring version of the 80-200. Great lens.

Aug 11, 2014 at 02:08 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tele-zoom Advice...

Those zooms may disappoint indoors at dark venues. They may not AF.

Aug 11, 2014 at 02:14 PM
danh920
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tele-zoom Advice...

I would take it for that amazing price. You easily get that $ back if you decide you really need VR or something later

Aug 11, 2014 at 02:14 PM
miguellara
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tele-zoom Advice...

Ok guys tks for the advice... I think I will go for it and see how I like it...

Tks.

Aug 11, 2014 at 02:44 PM
glennh56
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tele-zoom Advice...

At $650 that is a great price.

Aug 11, 2014 at 05:26 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tele-zoom Advice...

Grab it. Ignore what William said.

Aug 11, 2014 at 05:55 PM
nikontypes

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tele-zoom Advice...

The AF-S is awesome.

Aug 11, 2014 at 06:07 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.