• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moon setting

dgdg wrote:
That's a fab shot there.
Single comp?

David

Thanks.
Nope, two shots. First the forest and clouds, around 10sec exposure. The moon was naturally a reddish smudge. Then the moon was shot using spot meter (1/80sec). Then a little ps.
The final image is a lot like the real deal.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moon setting

How do you get the moon so big compared to the rest of the foreground? When I try something like this, I take two shots.. one of the foreground and the other of the moon with a tele lens.

Then I recompose them in photoshop. When I create 2 layers and copy the moon on to the foreground layer and then expand its dimensions. Hence the big moon! Whats your way of doing this?

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Moon setting

Beautiful image, MJ. A slight crop of the bottom would help.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Moon setting

Rohanban wrote:
How do you get the moon so big compared to the rest of the foreground? When I try something like this, I take two shots.. one of the foreground and the other of the moon with a tele lens.

Then I recompose them in photoshop. When I create 2 layers and copy the moon on to the foreground layer and then expand its dimensions. Hence the big moon! Whats your way of doing this?

I have taken single shots that look just like this one, the key is just using a long lens and being a distance from the trees that you are using for the framing in the shot. Rather easy really.

Back in the film days we pretty much always had to get it right in the camera... while cutting and pasting were possible in the darkroom, it was no where as easy or as clean as it is today with Photoshop. So we learned how to take images in one shot...

Jim

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:26 PM
M_J_Helin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Moon setting

Rohanban wrote:

No special tricks. Just a longish tele, crop sensor dslr and little crop in post processing. The distance to the forest was around one kilometer.

Aug 11, 2014 at 01:00 PM
Rohanban
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Moon setting

Thanks MJ. That makes sense. Nice work.

Aug 12, 2014 at 01:22 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.