Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon 600 EX RT questions

onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 600 EX RT questions

Recently picked up a pair, along with the Canon ST-E3-RT transmitter.......and wow...the learning curve is steep!!

SO....is there anyone out there that has at least two flashes and the transmitter that would work with me off line (PM/email)....to figure out some specific areas?? I have an event coming up this weekend that I need to be basically proficient with by then.

I have got to the point that I have each as a slave, and being triggered by the transmitter....but not all confident that I have the settings 100% correct to move onward to my goals.

How being used:

Flashes will be placed in front and to the sides of the subjects, creating a triangulation effect. May need to increase or decrease flash power...but won't know until subject is in position.

Here are my areas of need:

1. Using both flashes as slaves, need to be able to increase/decrease out put on the fly (each independently)
2. How to zoom in/out each unit independently
3. To make sure they don't turn off and become non responsive, as it may be a period of time between uses

I will be attaching a Canon external power pack to each as well.

SO...if you can assist and don't mind not tying up the thread...using PM or email....I"d be much grateful for your assistance.

Aug 11, 2014 at 02:31 AM
4x4rock
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 600 EX RT questions

I have 4 600ex and set them up remotely as slaves.

1. Yes, you can set them up in Group. You can assign each remote flash in its own group and independently control each one's power. Flash 1 can be in Group B and flash 2 in Group C. The ST-E3 is in Group A. I have the group in M mode and adjust the power via a 600EX on my camera (similar to the ST-E3).

2. I usually leave them at 35 or 50mm zoom so not sure if remote zoom will work. Someone may know this.

3. You can go into the Cf function, C-Fn 01 and turn off Auto Off mode. You can also go into C.Fn-10 Slave auto power-off timer and set it to 60min instead of 10min.

Aug 11, 2014 at 03:54 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 600 EX RT questions

Thanks 4x4....I'll look into a group setting to see if this would be easier

Aug 11, 2014 at 08:42 AM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 600 EX RT questions

If you have not watched these videos yet I would highly recommend it. They are long and slow but cover everything very well. I watched them before I got my flashes (it convinced me to buy into the rt system). Then I watched it again with my flashes in hand. Now the rt system is like old hat to me.
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/syl_arena_speedlite_600exrt_seminar.shtml

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:07 PM
gwaww
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 600 EX RT questions

One thing that baffled me for a while was when you are using master/slave in radio mode you cannot enable HSS on the flash but you have to do it in the flash function menu on the camera. As a side note I wish the flash function page was easier to get to on a 5D MK III! If you camera has the ability, it's nice to be able to control the flashes from the camera. If you haven't bought the external battery holders yet, I used the ones from Pixel King. They are cheaper and in a pinch you can use only 4 batteries.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 600 EX RT questions

As a side note I wish the flash function page was easier to get to on a 5D MK III! If you camera has the ability, it's nice to be able to control the flashes from the camera. s.

I don't have my 5D3 to hand but is it not something you can add to the 'my menu' section ?

Aug 11, 2014 at 01:45 PM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 600 EX RT questions

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I don't have my 5D3 to hand but is it not something you can add to the 'my menu' section ?

Yes it is.

Aug 11, 2014 at 02:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gwaww
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 600 EX RT questions

Yes you can assign "External speedlite control" to My Menu, but then it's click on that, then scroll 4 lines and then click on Flash function settings. It would really be nice to be able to assign that function to a button.

Aug 11, 2014 at 02:28 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 600 EX RT questions

assign the groups and you will be able to control their output separately, not sure about the zooming in and out. adjust auto off. good luck. I enjoy mines

Aug 20, 2014 at 04:32 AM
Herb
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 600 EX RT questions

gwaww wrote:
One thing that baffled me for a while was when you are using master/slave in radio mode you cannot enable HSS on the flash but you have to do it in the flash function menu on the camera. As a side note I wish the flash function page was easier to get to on a 5D MK III! If you camera has the ability, it's nice to be able to control the flashes from the camera. If you haven't bought the external battery holders yet, I used the ones from Pixel King. They are cheaper and in a pinch you
...Show moreI have the Yongnuo YN560-TX which best I could tell is a carbon copy of the Canon unit but it has the infrared to assist with auto focus that the Canon does not.

To set HSS for my 600ex-rt flashes (7 of them) I set it through the YN560 and it sets it for all of them. I am betting that you can do the same with the Canon controller. I felt there were things I could do with the Canon or Yongnuo controller more easily than using one of the flashes to control. Not to say it cant be done, just felt easier to do with the controllers. my 2 cents

Aug 20, 2014 at 04:34 PM
Herb
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 600 EX RT questions

With external batteries for the flashes and HSS, I have been able to fire away at about 4-6 fps (1Dx)......impressive when it is firing like that.....gang 3 flashes together and let their power be additive and you have quite the machine!

Aug 20, 2014 at 04:36 PM
ugdog
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 600 EX RT questions

Love my 600ex's. Yes the learning curve is steep but the videos suggested are excellent. The more you use these flashes the easier it gets.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM
MDJAK
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 600 EX RT questions

Syl Arena is an acknowledged expert on the system and explains them very well in a recorded B&H seminar available on their website, YouTube and his blog.

Aug 22, 2014 at 01:23 AM
MDJAK
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 600 EX RT questions

http://pixsylated.com/blog/

Aug 22, 2014 at 01:24 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password