Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

Just curious.

I have equipment insurance (as well as other areas) for my business like everyone else. But the situation has to be 100% business use in order for a claim to be valid. So when you're actually working an event, rather than wondering down the street.

Now I know some don't shoot personally at all, or hardly do.

But for those that do, have you purchased a separate policy for one or two pieces you might use?

I have not. But I wonder if it might make some things easier...

Aug 10, 2014 at 01:03 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

I just asked my agent about this and she quoted me roughly $1200 a year on my homeowners insurance, with all sorts of conditions... uhmmm... no thanks.

Aug 10, 2014 at 01:37 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

a good question I never thought of, I do however tend to use other cameras for personal use and not those that I use for my business, I guess that sort of solves that issue

Aug 10, 2014 at 01:50 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

fstopperdown wrote:
I just asked my agent about this and she quoted me roughly $1200 a year on my homeowners insurance, with all sorts of conditions... uhmmm... no thanks.

I think insurance through a camera insurance company would make more sense. It would be a fraction of that.

---------------------------------------------

sherijohnson wrote:
a good question I never thought of, I do however tend to use other cameras for personal use and not those that I use for my business, I guess that sort of solves that issue

Likewise. Only recently have they crossed over slightly. My third body is now also my day-to-day camera. Otherwise, everything else is used only for weddings.

Aug 10, 2014 at 02:00 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

As a photographer wouldn't you have all your photographic equipment insured through your business account anyways?

I tried to claim some photographic gear that went up in flames a while back and they wouldn't pay out on it as being a photographer they said all photographic gear is business gear.

Aug 10, 2014 at 02:19 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

BKphotography wrote:
As a photographer wouldn't you have all your photographic equipment insured through your business account anyways?

I tried to claim some photographic gear that went up in flames a while back and they wouldn't pay out on it as being a photographer they said all photographic gear is business gear.

Who is "they" in your case? Home insurance?

To reiterate yes, my equipment is insured for my business when in business use. However, if for example I take a trip somewhere or use it for something personal and any claim would be invalid due to the nature of its use not being 100% business in that instance.

Hence the curiosity of a separate policy for personal use. Not all my gear. Just one or two pieces I might use.

For example in March when I took a trip I simply used travel insurance, around £50 for £2500 coverage. I was thinking something more thorough might be useful.

Aug 10, 2014 at 02:28 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

Yeah, home insurance.

Unless you are abroad for your trip it would come under business insurance.

Going abroad will mean extra cover is needed unless you have that in your policy... I don't.

Aug 10, 2014 at 03:34 PM
mci2727
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

I have Hill & Usher, they've assured me that my gear/ass is covered while on the job or just having fun.

Aug 10, 2014 at 04:44 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

That's stupid. I have insurance through CNA for business equipment and liability etc and my gear is covered whether I'm on the job or on vacation.

If you have it insured personally, that's when you can run into issues with it being used for business. But it shouldn't be a problem the other way around with the more expensive business insurance from a reputable company.

Aug 10, 2014 at 05:43 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

The OP is in the UK. I'm sure insurance standards and coverages differ there than they do here in the states.

Aug 10, 2014 at 06:59 PM
Boss302
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

TTLKurtis wrote:
That's stupid. I have insurance through CNA for business equipment and liability etc and my gear is covered whether I'm on the job or on vacation.

If you have it insured personally, that's when you can run into issues with it being used for business. But it shouldn't be a problem the other way around with the more expensive business insurance from a reputable company.

Ditto on CNA and covered regardless.

Aug 10, 2014 at 08:07 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

My business insurance covers everything, anywhere.
It would be stupid to only get insured on events. I would guess that most gear gets stolen outside the event (the day before when everything is in the car, broken into your house/office,...). My gear is in my car 80% of the time and I want it to be insured even outside of events/studio.
The best solution for someone with only a business insurance would be to acquire a press card. Then it is justifiable to have your gear with you at all times.

Aug 11, 2014 at 02:19 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

playerofwar wrote:
My business insurance covers everything, anywhere.
It would be stupid to only get insured on events. I would guess that most gear gets stolen outside the event (the day before when everything is in the car, broken into your house/office,...). My gear is in my car 80% of the time and I want it to be insured even outside of events/studio.
The best solution for someone with only a business insurance would be to acquire a press card. Then it is justifiable to have your gear with you at all times.

Alright I might have over simplified this. My business insurance covers me outside of an event. In my car. At my place of work / home. If something happens in the UK it'll be fine.

If I go to Africa and want to extend it, they policy would not work because that trip would not be 100% business. Make sense? This is something everyone should check as you might just assume "oh it's covered, I'm fine worldwide", but there are details.

I trust that makes sense now.

Aug 11, 2014 at 03:55 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

TTLKurtis wrote:

I use a reputable company...

Again, worth checking with your insurance. If you take a vacation to Africa that is personal will they cover loss/theft/whatever? This isn't always clear so I spoke to them and they were very helpful and clear with me. Like they always are.

Aug 11, 2014 at 03:57 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

rondphoto wrote:
The OP is in the UK. I'm sure insurance standards and coverages differ there than they do here in the states.

Good point. Maybe it's not as simple as "that's stupid get a real policy"

Aug 11, 2014 at 03:58 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

BKphotography wrote:
Yeah, home insurance.

Unless you are abroad for your trip it would come under business insurance.

Going abroad will mean extra cover is needed unless you have that in your policy... I don't.

Thanks BK. That is basically what I'm saying. Tried to extend it to outside the UK in March and they said it would not be worthwhile as they wouldn't cover me due to the nature of the trip not being 100% business.

Aug 11, 2014 at 04:00 AM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

I use statefarm in the US. Covers on and off location. They are very very good!

Aug 11, 2014 at 05:59 AM
reburns
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

I do personal travel photography abroad and use to have State Farm. I filed a claim and they paid but cancelled me. So I'm shopping for new equipment replacement cost coverage for about $15K of gear before my next trip to Haiti which is coming up soon.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

If my business insurance did not cover my gear 100% of the time I would change insurers. I don't want to be paying for double coverage.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do any of you have personal camera insurance too?

It's my understanding that your business policy will cover things 100% of the time. However a personal policy they can weasel out of covering you if they suspect it may have been used for business. Having both types of coverage would be redundant.

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.