FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

tjny
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

It rained all night and was still poring in the morning . After a leisurely breakfast headed toward Yoho NP and there was a break in the weather and it started to clear along the way. As I reached Emerald Lake conditions were jaw dropping perfect. Here is my modest attempt to depict what i saw that morning.

Thanks for viewing & comments.

Rubies & Emerald

Emerald Lake

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM
fotobandi

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

Really like these. I always love the "red canoe/glacial lake" combo. Did you shoot RAW? JPEG? SOOC? Great clarity and sharpness. Nice work!

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

tjny wrote:
It rained all night and was still poring in the morning . After a leisurely breakfast headed toward Yoho NP and there was a break in the weather and it started to clear along the way. As I reached Emerald Lake conditions were jaw dropping perfect. Here is my modest attempt to depict what i saw that morning.

Thanks for viewing & comments.

Thanks for the feed back,these are shot in RAW and processed in NX2.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:28 AM
fotobandi

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

Thanks for the reply. They look great. I use NX2 as well, but not to this result. I'll keep using it even though it has been "discontinued".

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:32 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

I like these. The first one is pretty, but the second one really captures the drama of clearing clouds over the mountains. It was nicely process to bring that out, too. Nice work.

Dave

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Foggy14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

TJ, very well done. The canoes in the first shot were framed nicely.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:46 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

I have to go with number two here, very nice color, clouds emerald lake. A great and grand landscape...

Unfortunately, for me (as more of a landscape "purist"), I feel the canoes in number one introduce a glaring sign of man into what is a superb landscape. They are too dominant in the image and modern looking with the numbers. Number one is what I refer to as a travelogue photograph (nice in a brochure).

Only my opinion of course.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:52 AM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

I like the second one as well. You caught the wispiness of the clouds perfectly. Nice colour in the lake, too

Regards.....Pete

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:05 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

ckcarr wrote:
I have to go with number two here, very nice color, clouds emerald lake. A great and grand landscape...

Unfortunately, for me (as more of a landscape "purist"), I feel the canoes in number one introduce a glaring sign of man into what is a superb landscape. They are too dominant in the image and modern looking with the numbers. Number one is what I refer to as a travelogue photograph (nice in a brochure).

Thanks for the feed back Craig, yes, even worse is when tourist hoards arrive and their canoes zigzag all over the lake.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

Love #2. No problem with "travelogue" shots, I take quite a few of them. However, a pure landscape is always better.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:42 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

Great images...love the red against white in the first one. TFS!

-Tree

Aug 10, 2014 at 05:38 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

ckcarr wrote:

Nice shots here and such great colors. I agree that the canoes are just a tad too dominant in the pic. Is the general concensus to not include any people in landscpape pics? Honest question - just wondering....

Aug 10, 2014 at 06:04 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

Gary Clennan wrote:
Nice shots here and such great colors. I agree that the canoes are just a tad too dominant in the pic. Is the general concensus to not include any people in landscpape pics? Honest question - just wondering....

Thanks for the feed back Gary, yes, opinions vary. To me it was simply the powerful and very pleasing contrast between ruby red and emerald green colors. After all it was the Canadian NP Service who for aesthetic reasons, selected this color for their facilities at world famous Moraine Lake, Lake Louise and Emerald lake.

I don't like people in landscapes but European posters at 500 PX often include a person/self in amazing landscapes images.

Edited on Aug 10, 2014 at 06:47 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2014 at 06:25 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

Your pics are very nice nonetheless. I also like the odd person in the pic to bring that personal connection.... It doesn't always work but I think it is perfectly fine in certain pictures. I certainly don't see many pics with people here in the Landscape forum though...

Aug 10, 2014 at 06:29 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

Two great images. Enjoyed both very much.
harsha

Aug 10, 2014 at 07:40 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

Its always nice seeing a new person's perspective of my backyard. I like both pictures.

For me both have a tad too much saturation.

The composition in 1 works better for me because the canoes are a strong anchor, but the 2nd feels like the eye is lead out on the right. I think it would have been better if you hiked 1km east and taken the shot.

But nice pictures in total.

Thanks for sharing - Scott

Aug 10, 2014 at 07:48 PM
lord.frost005

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

Great shot. I like both as well. Really like the color of the water. This might me just me, but the horizon on the first one could be leveled slightly.

Aug 10, 2014 at 07:49 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

Scott Stoness wrote:
Its always nice seeing a new person's perspective of my backyard. I like both pictures.

For me both have a tad too much saturation.

The composition in 1 works better for me because the canoes are a strong anchor, but the 2nd feels like the eye is lead out on the right. I think it would have been better if you hiked 1km east and taken the shot.

But nice pictures in total.

Thanks for sharing - Scott

Appreciate the feed back Scott. Regarding the hike, I think sun would have been in front of me, it was the morning light that dictated these shots for me.

Aug 10, 2014 at 08:48 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

Thank you all for looking and valued comments & feedback.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:06 AM
sridhar_125

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Emerald Lake, Yoho NP

It does look like a perfect morning !

Aug 11, 2014 at 01:46 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.