Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

I have a 6D and I've only recently been trying to get into slow-motion photography such as turning water into fog, etc. However, when I use either manual mode or TV, I can't seem to get past a 30 second exposure no matter how high I turn the ISO to or other settings. Am I missing anything? I suppose I could use the bulb setting, but then I run the risk of camera shake by holding the camera button down, and it's a lot less scientific if I'm doing it that way.

Any other ways to assign a specific shutter setting such as 1 minute exposure or 5 minute exposure such as at night? I haven't figured out what setting(s) to make the camera do this.
Thanks.
Bill

Aug 09, 2014 at 06:06 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

Get a remote cable release on eBay, preferably a full intervalometer, and put your camera in bulb mode. There you go!

David

Aug 09, 2014 at 06:09 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

Unfortunately almost no modern camera does timed exposures past 30secs. For anything longer you will need a wired or wireless cable release and use the bulb mode.

The wireless releases are nice because they act as a T mode when used in Bulb mode, meaning that one click of the release activates the exposure and another click stops the exposure

Aug 09, 2014 at 06:41 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

Just a bit of info re wired/wireless. All wired remotes I have used allow have a simple slide lock for the shutter button. Hence with either option you don't have to keep the release's button held down with your finger.

Aug 09, 2014 at 06:49 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

Do any of the apps for either your iPhones or tablet have that function built-in? I downloaded the one from Canon and it doesn't seem to be in that one, but I saw several other apps. That seems a it odd that there is no other way to have a longer timed exposure, especially these modern times.

Aug 09, 2014 at 07:51 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

Triggertrap

Aug 09, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Parkertinsley
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

Magic lantern and trigger trap both work acceptionally well

Aug 09, 2014 at 10:47 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

I love to use the IR remote on my 5D3. It's so much more convenient than the cable release I have to use with the 1DX. Also for the price it's a steal.

Aug 09, 2014 at 11:11 PM
mdbrown9999
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

Don't understand why it is so hard to build in a timer longer than 30 sec.

Aug 09, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

mdbrown9999 wrote:

It's not but hard but traditionally it's always been done with bulb and a cable release.

I use the RC-1 (wireless remote) for bulb exposures on my 6D: click once to lock up the mirror and open the shutter and again to close the shutter. You can keep the shutter open until the battery dies...

Bulb also works with EOS Remote on my iPhone but I like the wee RC-1 much better (fast, tiny and not a battery eater).

Aug 09, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

For Canon, the classic way is the wired remote release, combined with shooting in Bulb mode on the camera. As mentioned above, the remote has a locking feature, so you can do longer exposures fairly easily without holding the button. An additional thing to note is that the camera shows the time of the exposure, counting upward in seconds, on the top display. So you can watch that to do the longer exposures and time them without the aid of some other timepiece. Also, the actual time ends up in the EXIF info for the shot, no matter how much about 30 seconds you are.

It does seem stupid that the camera can not go above 30 seconds with the built in features, but that is the way it is. As low light performance gets better and better, perhaps the 30 second barrier will be broken in the future.

The Canon timer remote can do long exposures, and can do multiple repeated shots, but it is a bit pricy. I sill prefer my Canon timer remote over some of the off brand ones I have seen people try to use, and have problems. I am sure some brands are OK, but I hate taking chances on that kind of stuff. The Canon design has been around since before digital SLR's, but it works reliably, even in moderate cold.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

mdbrown9999 wrote:

The original Olympus OM-2 had that but it was removed in the updated OM-2N version, apparently because too many owners thought their camera was faulty.

Aug 10, 2014 at 02:57 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

Is it not something to do with metering - if a scene is so dark it needs more than 30 secs exposure, then it maybe can't be metered correctly in camera. Certainly this could be the case with film, where reciprocity fails at long exposure times. Maybe the 30 secs limit is a hangover from that?

Aug 10, 2014 at 04:45 AM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

melcat wrote:
The original Olympus OM-2 had that but it was removed in the updated OM-2N version, apparently because too many owners thought their camera was faulty.

The OM2n has auto exposure with shutter speeds up to 120 seconds. The OM2 (non -N) 60 seconds.

Also, the Nikon F5 alllows for setting shutter speeds up to 30 minutes in manual mode.

Canon really has no excuse for this other than their desire to sell remotes.

Aug 10, 2014 at 02:48 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

Pisses me off that in 2014 we don't have a simple exposure app on our cameras that we can dial in any shutter speed and delay we want.

Crazy.

Aug 10, 2014 at 04:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

I can control my EOS DSLR cameras from my Galaxy N3...

I currently use DSLR Controller for LiveView focusing with TS lenses and other odd things. I could probably find a long exposure app pretty easy. Maybe even DSLR Controller, or the freeware EOS Remote app will do it. I don't have time now to check, going to make red curry chicken.

IOW, the apps are there, but they might not be in the camera.

Aug 10, 2014 at 04:56 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

Magic Lantern is another option: http://www.magiclantern.fm/
It gives you an intervalometer and bulb timer right from the menu.

Aug 10, 2014 at 06:50 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

pingflood wrote:
The OM2n has auto exposure with shutter speeds up to 120 seconds. The OM2 (non -N) 60 seconds.

I know the OM FAQ (at least the old copy I had saved) said that, but it's wrong. The correct figure is 120s for the OM-2N and unlimited for the OM-2:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/96329-olympus-om2-automatic-exposure-night-shots.html

The John Hermanson giving the answer in post #5 there is a very well-known OM tech (www.zuiko.com), and I'd regard what he says about this as authoritative. As for why they added the 120s limit, on further thought I wonder whether it might have been to save the battery.

Those cameras meter differently from a 6D: when the shutter opens for an exposure longer than the flash sync speed, it meters in real time by light reflected off the film itself! The equivalent in modern EOS would be if Canon used their dual-pixel sensors to do the same.

15Bit wrote:
Is it not something to do with metering - if a scene is so dark it needs more than 30 secs exposure, then it maybe can't be metered correctly in camera.

The specifications for the 6D say it meters from 1 to 20 EV. 1EV is 1s @ f/1.0 and ISO 100, or a bit over 4 minutes @ f/16. Looked at another way, 32s is only 5 stops so the camera could meter another 3 stops.

Aug 11, 2014 at 03:26 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

Wired remote for $7.50. Why pay more for an intervalometeryou won't use?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765666-REG/Vello_RS_C2II_RS_C2II_Wired_Remote_Switch.html

Aug 11, 2014 at 03:46 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How do you shoot >30 seconds w/ 6D?

RobDickinson wrote:
Pisses me off that in 2014 we don't have a simple exposure app on our cameras that we can dial in any shutter speed and delay we want.

Crazy.

You are absolutely right Rob. One of the little games played, or omissions made, by a committee.

Aug 11, 2014 at 04:01 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.