Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Camera for Trail Running?

curtbentley

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera for Trail Running?

I'm a trail runner and normally carry my phone with me to take pictures while I run. I would like to have something that takes better photos but that would still be portable enough to run with. I usually just carry my phone in my hand, but occasionally will take a camelback along that would have a pouch to carry a small camera.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Aug 09, 2014 at 05:03 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera for Trail Running?

I do a lot of trail running with an SLR strapped in a bag to my back with the straps looped like a backpack strap. I have often wondered about the potential alignment problems that are likely to be created from repetitive bouncing of the lens and camera body off my back during this. For that reason, I would probably investigate something like the sony a6000 or NEX3/5/6/7 or A7 for a camera due to its solid state build design and small/light build. As for a lens, you got me. Maybe a solidly built voigtlander pancake lens? I think that the repetitive bouncing is probably going to throw whatever you use out of a alignment at some point regardless though.

Aug 09, 2014 at 05:43 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera for Trail Running?

I'd lean heavily towards one of the mirrorless interchangable lens cameras. I don't know what brand you shoot, but if you stick within your brand for this, or get one that's adaptable to your brand, it can serve multiple purposes (e.g. if you get a Nikon 1, it'll accept all of your Nikon lenses).

Even the smallest FF/crop SLR is not going to be able to compete in size to something like a Nikon 1, Olympus PEN, etc.

Aug 09, 2014 at 07:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera for Trail Running?

Sony RX100, RX100 II, or RX100 III.

Aug 10, 2014 at 06:11 AM
mspencer1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera for Trail Running?

Another vote for one of the RX100 cameras

Aug 10, 2014 at 09:24 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera for Trail Running?

I do a lot of trail running and IMO it would be a royal PITA to carry anything bigger than something like a Canon S120 (which shoots RAW). YMMV... literally if you're carrying a large camera!

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:44 AM
rbn920
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera for Trail Running?

Ricoh GR, Sony RX100, GoPro

Aug 11, 2014 at 04:53 PM
curtbentley

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera for Trail Running?

Thanks for all the responses! I like the idea of having a mirror less interchangeable (I shoot Nikon, by the way), but want to carry as little weight as possible. Think I'll take a close look at one of the smaller options. The Ricoh GR sounds really interesting, although I worry about dust issues I've seen reported...seems like that could be quite the bad combo for some of the dusty trails we've got out here in Utah...

Aug 12, 2014 at 09:34 AM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera for Trail Running?

+1 on the Ricoh GR.
I used it for hiking in Hawaii, especially Kalalau Trail.
If you're worried about dust/dirt, you could get the GH-3 adapter and put a filter in front.

the RX100 would be great too

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera for Trail Running?

My trail running/mountaineering camera is a Panasonic Lumix LX-5. It's a tiny imaging marvel with a 24-90mm equivalent Leica lens. I've been very happy with it. I paid about $500 when it was new. At current second-hand prices, circa $150, it seems like a steal. It has a P&S-sized sensor, which cramps its style in low light, but it works very well in good light. This camera has been with me many times when it wasn't appropriate to bring my full-frame or APS-C equipment, and has reminded me that the camera you have with you makes way better images than the fuller-featured system you left at home.

I do think of replacing it with the Panasonic Lumix GM-1, an interchangeable-lens m4/3 body designed for a purpose-built 24-64mm equivalent lens. This camera's much-larger sensor, amazingly contained in a camera and lens system just about the same size and weight of the much-smaller-sensored LX-5, is tempting. I'd appreciate the greater dynamic range/low-light capability that the larger sensor would deliver. That said, this body/lens combo (and paucity of used items at fire-sale prices) comes with a higher cost: roughly $650 for the body/lens combo.

The Sony Cyber-shot RX100 III, one model among the Sony RX-series cameras mentioned by others, is intriguing to me for its 24-70mm equivalent lens; 24mm is my most-used focal length for trail running, mountaineering, and travel photography, and I have no interest in a small camera that does not go this wide. (Though 20mm equivalent would be even better.) To be sure, this is a personal viewpoint, and other photographers may differ. What keeps me from being interested in the Sony RX100 III is its one-inch sensor. With the Lumix GM-1 to compete with the Sony--but offering a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses in a similar form factor, it's hard for me to get enthusiastic about the Sony.

Cheers,

--Chris

Aug 21, 2014 at 02:36 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.