FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tahoe Sunset

Plinian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tahoe Sunset

Captured the same evening as Justin's image, but about a mile or two further south, maybe 30 min later, and (obviously) a longer exposure.

Comments/criticisms/advice all appreciated.

Greg

Edit: tweaked to try and address Jim's suggestions

Bonsai Rock Sunset

Bonsai Rock Sunset--Edit

Edited on Aug 09, 2014 at 08:44 AM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2014 at 10:01 PM
monday
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tahoe Sunset

STUNNING! Great work!

Aug 08, 2014 at 10:16 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tahoe Sunset

Hey Greg,

Pretty cool shot, though I think there are two things that should be looked at. The shadows on the immediate rocks in the foreground should match the amount of shadow in the rocks on the right side. Right now, there are almost no shadows on the left side rocks. The 2nd thing is above Bonsai rock it appears that there is some haloing. Now it could be natural, I have see that happen before. But even if it is natural, I would darken that slightly brighter area above Bonsai so that it doesn't feel like a halo.

Jim

Aug 09, 2014 at 01:12 AM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tahoe Sunset

monday wrote:
STUNNING! Great work!

Thank you.

JimFox wrote:
Hey Greg,

Pretty cool shot, though I think there are two things that should be looked at. The shadows on the immediate rocks in the foreground should match the amount of shadow in the rocks on the right side. Right now, there are almost no shadows on the left side rocks. The 2nd thing is above Bonsai rock it appears that there is some haloing. Now it could be natural, I have see that happen before. But even if it is natural, I would darken that slightly brighter area above Bonsai so that it doesn't feel like a halo.

Jim

Thanks so much, Jim; really appreciate your input. I made some adjustments; maybe not quite enough for the foreground rocks, but hopefully the haloing looks better.

Greg

Aug 09, 2014 at 08:47 AM
projectmayhem

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tahoe Sunset

Hey great shot! Thanks for the link! The sky was killer that night! Did you get the weird dust storm emergency alert warning on your phone that night also?

Aug 09, 2014 at 06:19 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tahoe Sunset

Hi Greg,

for me the color of the second is too intense. The shadows of the first don't bother me and it's my pick

Morris

Aug 09, 2014 at 06:44 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tahoe Sunset

morris wrote:
Hi Greg,

for me the color of the second is too intense. The shadows of the first don't bother me and it's my pick

Morris

+1... very nice shot

I also like the first one more, the contrast on the right side in the second one is too much IMHO.

Aug 09, 2014 at 07:27 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tahoe Sunset

projectmayhem wrote:
Hey great shot! Thanks for the link! The sky was killer that night! Did you get the weird dust storm emergency alert warning on your phone that night also?

Thanks, Justin! We actually went back the next evening...there was a brief period right after sunset when the sky opened up briefly, but nothing like Saturday evening. (I didn't hear or know anything about a dust storm alert).

Greg

Aug 10, 2014 at 09:58 AM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tahoe Sunset

morris wrote:
Hi Greg,

Morris

hijazist wrote:
I also like the first one more, the contrast on the right side in the second one is too much IMHO.

Thanks, Morris and Hussain; appreciate your input...I actually dialed back the red saturation a bit on both versions, but I see what you mean--I had not intended to alter the appearance of that area from #1 to #2; will have another go at it.

Greg

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:04 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.