Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Is this confusing?

morby
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is this confusing?

Hey there FM people! I need some insight. When I get an inquiry I always send out some basic pricing information. I don't typically send out all pricing info (unless they ask), because I don't want people to get lost in the pricing details after my first email response. I feel that my initial pricing reponse is clear, but recently I had two people confused and thinking than I'm priced way lower that I actually am. Here is an example of an email from today with my basic pricing info and then her response...

MY EMAIL

Hello Kristy! Thanks for contacting me about your wedding. I am available for your date. "My "a la carte" pricing starts at $3300. With the "a la carte" pricing you can build your own package according to your budget and what you'd like to get. For every wedding I do all day coverage (not an hourly rate) and you can add digital images, engagement session, albums, co-shooter "a la carte".

I also offer wedding photography packages and they start at $4600. Each package includes all day coverage, the digital images, a 12x12 album and a print credit.

Would you like to set up a meeting to discuss what I offer in more detail?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Mike

HER RESPONSE

Hey Mike,

Spoke with my parents and they were wondering if they wanted all day coverage, the digital images, 2 photographers and a photo album is the price the $3300? If not could you give me a price for this type of package.

Thanks again for everything and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kristy

The package she wants is $5900, but she thinks from my email that it could possibly only be $3300. This happened another time recently, but it was in the meeting and it got really awkward. This almost never happens, but since it just happened twice in a few weeks I'm wondering if I need to add more detail.

Thoughts? Any suggestions on how I can word things better?

Thanks!

Aug 08, 2014 at 04:04 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is this confusing?

The confusion she is under is that she thinks $3300 ala carte includes possibly things that you can add which you didn't mention; I would find a way to say ala carte baseline includes X/Y/Z services, and all others are extra - those additional could include (then list items, but without prices). It's easier to understand her confusion then it is for me to explain it lol

Aug 08, 2014 at 04:09 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is this confusing?

Just to add, my all day coverage with just me is $3300. Digital images are $700 and can be added "a la carte".

Aug 08, 2014 at 04:10 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is this confusing?

I think it could be a little clearer. People generally just flick over stuff so don't take it personally.

I would try and make it clearer that your starting price is x amount for "all day". And that is all that includes. You can go "a la carte" and ADD x y z at an additional cost.

An album package starts at x amount. Rather than "each package includes all this". They might think anything they buy, what you call a la carte, is still a package.

Obviously don't word it how I have! Just a quick example of what might bring some confusion. Hope that helps

Aug 08, 2014 at 04:12 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is this confusing?

Thanks guys! I wonder if something like...

My all day coverage starts at $3300. From there for an additional cost you can add digital images, an engagament session, a co shooter, etc. I also offer packages with wedding albums starting at $4600.

Sound better? My range is basically $4000-$7500, but I don't want that $7500 to scare them. My average is about $5500, but there is room for people to spend if they want to.

Aug 08, 2014 at 04:21 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is this confusing?

They're asking if you'll do it for the $3,300. Just answer with the a la carte prices.

Aug 08, 2014 at 04:37 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is this confusing?

I answered with the pricing sheet so that there isn't confusion.

amonline wrote:
They're asking if you'll do it for the $3,300. Just answer with the a la carte prices.

Aug 08, 2014 at 04:43 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is this confusing?

Just curious, what exactly would they get for $3,300?

Aug 08, 2014 at 04:47 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is this confusing?

Just me shooting the wedding and an online gallery for 60 days. I've tried saying I start at $4000 for all day and digital files (which is true), but the $3300 gets me the email. From there I give more detail and try for the meeting. I've found that I'm really effective with a sit down. Around 90% booking rate. Sometime I am able to book weddings I wouldn't otherwise. One couple had a $3000 budget and ending up booking a $6000 package after meeting with them.

jcolman wrote:
Just curious, what exactly would they get for $3,300?

Aug 08, 2014 at 04:54 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is this confusing?

Yeah somehow when I read your initial response I thought you included digital images, for one thing. The phrasing is confusing if you are not reading it slowly and carefully

Aug 08, 2014 at 05:16 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is this confusing?

dont mention the cost of anything else. just give her your starting point, and mention they can also add on albums etc to make their own package.

it's confusing b/c it's redundant. you either need to explain why you have both a la carte and packages, or just go with one or the other.

Aug 08, 2014 at 05:22 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is this confusing?

Albums aren't included in the a al carte, just the packages, so that's why I mention both. In the meeting it's super clear and explained, but I'm trying to get the meeting. I want to avoid people getting hung up on pricing details pre meeting. Then they are just looking at a computer screen rather than interacting with me face to face. I also want to avoid useless meetings because they think I charge less than I actually do.

jamesmorophoto wrote:
dont mention the cost of anything else. just give her your starting point, and mention they can also add on albums etc to make their own package.

it's confusing b/c it's redundant. you either need to explain why you have both a la carte and packages, or just go with one or the other.

Aug 08, 2014 at 05:37 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is this confusing?

After reading it more carefully I see how it can be confusing. I'll need to rework it. Thanks!

TTLKurtis wrote:
Yeah somehow when I read your initial response I thought you included digital images, for one thing. The phrasing is confusing if you are not reading it slowly and carefully

Aug 08, 2014 at 05:40 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is this confusing?

+1 for confusing.

Something like (noob here so bear that in mind)

A la carte pricing starts at $3300 with packages including digital files and albums starting at $4600. I would love to setup a meeting with you to discuss what I offer in more detail.

Edited on Aug 08, 2014 at 06:46 PM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2014 at 06:45 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is this confusing?

It is kinda confusing. It's like you're quoting two different prices and you put à la carte in quotes. That's just annoying.

Hi Kristy,

Thank you for contacting me. I am available for your date. Pricing starts at $3300 when building your own package to suit your budget. This includes all day coverage (not an hourly rate). To this you can add on digital images, an engagement session, albums, and a second photographer depending on your needs.

I also offer bundled packages which start at $4600. Each package includes all day coverage, digital images, a 12"x12" album and a print credit.

I'd be glad to set up a meeting to discuss what I offer in more detail.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks for the inquiry,
-Mike

Aug 08, 2014 at 06:45 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is this confusing?

Thanks! I like the sound of that. I've never been great with the written word

Aug 08, 2014 at 06:53 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is this confusing?

Here is my pricing. It has both options so that someone can get an album in the packages.

http://morbyphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/p-All-Documents-update-39141.jpg

Aug 08, 2014 at 06:54 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is this confusing?

I'm doing it wrong.

Aug 08, 2014 at 07:31 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is this confusing?

It is confusing, and I agree with James about just mentioning your starting price of $3300 for all-day coverage. I'd stop right there. Your email, as it is, sounds like a negotiation to me for the contract. And it's all about the money instead of the value of morby photographing their day, and what they get from that alone. Much better to go over the money and packages in person, and after they have a sense of the value you'd bring to their day.

Aug 08, 2014 at 10:04 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is this confusing?

personally, i'd probably just stop mentioning the 3300 + 700 for the files. Keep it as your a la carte, and you can mention that you start at $3300 on your website to get people in the door, but i wouldn't offer that as your first option in a pricing email, i'd reserve that for couples that are stretching to fit you in their budget.

Aug 08, 2014 at 11:12 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.