FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

VothPhoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

Talk to me about the current state of the wedding vendor industry. I think most of us understand the wedding photography industry pretty well, but I don't know very much about DJs, florists, wedding planners, wedding officiants, etc.

Is the market saturated? How are people differentiating themselves? Are there opportunities people aren't taking advantage of? What's the future hold for wedding vendors?

Let's throw out the topic and see where it goes.

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:20 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

At least in the US, we're in a wedding boom so even Beavis & Butthead could make money at the moment. There's about another 5-8 years of gravy.

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:29 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

I think the answers to your questions are going to vary depending on where the people who answer live.

The market in Vegas differs greatly from the market in NYC vs Houston vs Dallas vs small-town rural America.

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

Anything with a low barrier of entry (wedding planning), advancing new technology (DJs) or something considered to be a creative outlet (all of the above) is going to have a huge saturation point, particularly after the recent recession. The world is changing. Some things are easier now.

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:41 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

It's just like anything else... You have your "big hitters", your small local shops, and everything in between.
I really think their is someone out their in every vendor industry for every different type of client. The job of the vendor is always to put themselves in front of people who are going to book them. The more successful vendors are obviously doing that well.

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

The wedding vendor I most envy is a chiropractor at the last bridal show I did.

Think about it...

-No competitors

-Obvious benefits to the client- you REALLY don't want a backache on your honeymoon...

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:47 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

Differentiate or die. VSCO won't save people in 3 years as everyone can replicate a 'look' or 'style' on their phone.

Aug 08, 2014 at 01:08 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

jeremy_clay wrote:
Differentiate or die. VSCO won't save people in 3 years as everyone can replicate a 'look' or 'style' on their phone.

Today, you are a great photographer.

Aug 08, 2014 at 01:15 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

I can say definitively that there is a lack of high-end video. If I was so inclined I'd expand into this area and make a killing.

- trr

Aug 08, 2014 at 01:45 PM
VothPhoto

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

TRReichman wrote:
I can say definitively that there is a lack of high-end video. If I was so inclined I'd expand into this area and make a killing.

- trr

Same. No one is doing it in my area and IMO, it has a pretty high barrier to entry at least when you compare it to photography.

I've done video work in the past, but I would need a) a lot of expensive equipment, and b) to do it a few times for free

Aug 08, 2014 at 01:48 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

TRReichman wrote:

- trr

Agreed. I can't tell you the number of times I get asked if we do video, or know/recommend someone. I have seriously considered beginning to prime myself for a possible transition. So many sources say the future is video. I agree with them.

Aug 08, 2014 at 02:15 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

LeeSimms wrote:
in the US, we're in a wedding boom so even Beavis & Butthead could make money at the moment

I'm in the US and that's not my experience. AT ALL.

Aug 08, 2014 at 11:05 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

Todd, I thought you guys did video for awhile

Aug 08, 2014 at 11:36 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

Nikon_14 wrote:
The wedding vendor I most envy is a chiropractor at the last bridal show I did.

Think about it...

-No competitors

-Obvious benefits to the client- you REALLY don't want a backache on your honeymoon...

Maybe a Drug company should follow the guys lead and start selling bulk headache tablets because the one thing you don't want her to have on your honeymoon is.......

I reckon someone that would do well nearly anywhere and will be a hugely growing market is Tattoo removal. Everyone is real Gung ho about it now but when the trend Fizzles out as it will surely do like all fashions, there are going to be a lot of people wanting to get rid of a LOT of ink.

I have actually started seriously looking into this as a business as I think the opportunities are Huge and the market will continue to grow for the rest of my working years.

The best business setup I have seen in a long while was last year when I was in NZ shooting a cheer event. At the end of the main street in this town which was on a hill, there was a couple of shops looking straight down the main road.
Pained the same colour on the shop facades was a sign on the Right that said " Tattooist" and right next door the sign said TATTOO REMOVAL".

Now there is one smart business operator!

Aug 09, 2014 at 04:28 AM
OlafSiebert
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

glort wrote:
I reckon someone that would do well nearly anywhere and will be a hugely growing market is Tattoo removal.

that's why we have photoshop ...

Aug 10, 2014 at 08:17 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

Yes, everyone is a cake baker, a florist, a DJ, etc. They all feel it as much as we do. I have an ocean of DJ's and Video near me... Uncle Bob and Aunt Jane are jack of all trades.

Aug 10, 2014 at 08:57 AM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

I liken it to getting a colonoscopy.

My friend is a plumber and could ram a snake up my butt with a light and camera. My Doctor charges a lot more for the same procedure for good reason.

I think it is the customer that has become more price conscious, but less educated on the process.

These days, I shoot more for myself. I enjoy my news/sports niche with an eye towards getting back into weddings.

However, from an image standpoint, I think there are better photographers today than ever before. That includes landscape, portraits, and weddings. I have seen some great work at art shows that still result in few sales. I can look at a local (good) photographer and then look at their prices and know they are just grinding it out. It's a mighty struggle due to saturation.

It's humbling and depressing in the same instant.

I am sure there are bakers and DJ's that feel the same way.

I would look to the survivors in this industry (10 years+) and cherrypick and model on their success. A local pro and her associate shot 70+ weddings (mid-upper price range) last year. There are just certain intangibles they have that make them better than the rest.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

we offer more than just photography and we have noticed business is improving, not back to where we were 7 yrs ago... but it is improving, additionally photography jobs are filling up the calendar more too for me also. I am sure this can vary by location and demographics and of course it goes without saying that those that market themselves well and have experience may find it easier. Educating prospects has been successful in obtaining more work as well, not always... but if they really think about what could go wrong, they sometimes realize using the services of a pro gives assurance that the results are in their favor.

Aug 10, 2014 at 02:00 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

We're seeing a boom. We just took our prices up 10-20% across the board, and haven't had anyone balk at it.

Here's the thing though. The industry lacks professionalism. Most DJ's, coordinators, florists, etc. that I meet can't respond to an email, deliver on time, etc. It's really disturbing how non-nonchalantly they treat someone's wedding day.

Otherwise, like others have said - the industry is on the up and up.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Talk to me: The wedding vendor instrudy

jeremy_clay wrote:
VSCO won't save people in 3 years as everyone can replicate a 'look' or 'style' on their phone.

Aug 11, 2014 at 06:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.