New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Vintage Nikon, Zeiss, light meters

dwerther
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vintage Nikon, Zeiss, light meters

There is a local auction in which there is a ton of vintage Nikon equipment, and some other enthusiast equipment. I would have sacrificed a finger or toe in 1972 for this gear (I was 17), but at this point is it just paperweights?

The two cameras selling as separate lots are both Nikon F's with the Photomic finders. Each has a lens on it and appears to be in very good condition. I have no idea if they work. There are lots of lenses, some of which are in a very cool camera case with a lens mount plate built into the case to hold three lenses. Much of the gear is in boxes being sold as a lot, and one box lot has most of the original Nikon boxes for all this gear. The list is below.

A part of me wants to pick this up, although I already have another Nikon film camera that I never use and don't see myself using this auction stuff either. Still, it is so cool and old school, like a Norton 850 Commando motorcycle or a Colt SAA/Winchester rifle. The force is strong.

I have priced most of this on Ebay (completed auctions) and it is all over the map. I couldn't find much vintage stuff in the buy-sell board here but then admittedly I didn't spend a lot of time trying. What is this stuff worth and what can I do with it?

Gossen Luna Pro

Weston Master 3 mod 737

Nikkor P auto 55mm. 3.5 micro

Nikkor 55 1.4

Nikkor 135 3.5

Nikkor 300 4.5

Nikkor micro 55mm f3.5

Nikkor 50mm F1.4

Nikkor P 105 F 2.5

Nikon F w/ Nikkor 43-86 f3.5

Nikon F w/ Nikkor 35mm F2

Elgeet 3" f1.9 Cine Navitar

Zeiss Contiflex w Tessar 45mm f2.8, synchro compur shutter, w/ ring light Mightylight model 1

Zeiss Iconta, Prontor s shutter, novar-Anastigmat 45mm f3.5

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:05 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vintage Nikon, Zeiss, light meters

The Nikkor-P Auto 105/2.5 is very nice portrait lens. It's worth about $130 to $170, depending on condition.

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:14 PM
dwerther
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vintage Nikon, Zeiss, light meters

Whoever owned this stuff was big on redundancy. But some of this stuff has never been used. The Nikkor micro 55mm F3.5 is in the original box, and in a plastic domed case with instructions. It doesn't look like it has ever been out of the box.

There is a really eccentric (read - dangerous) part of me that can't stand passing up this pristine but useless (to me) stuff. It's worth something to me just to play with it and handle it. It takes me back to the early to mid 70's when all I could think of was being alone with my girlfriend and owning a Nikon F3HP.

Not always in that order.

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:24 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vintage Nikon, Zeiss, light meters

The Power of Nostalgia is hard to resist. If you can pick some classic well built camera gear for chump change it might be worth it just to able to fondle the gear. That F3HP and an MD4 was a powertrain and I often played with it - no film in it - just for the awesome feel of that combination.

Lift that mother up and compare to a NEX5n and you can FEEL that the times have changed.

I met an older gentleman that purchased some of my excess gear and it turned out that he is a Hoarder. He has a house FULL of cameras and lenses, modern to vintage. His collection puts most others to shame. If I get the urge I can always drop by for a coffee and hours of jaw-dropping eye candy...

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:31 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vintage Nikon, Zeiss, light meters

The Nikkor 55/1.4 doesn't exist, that's most likely a Nikkor 50mm f1.4, but could possibly be the old 58/1.4. The 50/1.4 is a competent but unexceptional normal of the same design as all subsequent versions through the 50/1.4 AF-D.

The Nikkor 135/3.5 is an excellent 135, particularly for portraits. It's only real weakness is a lack of close focus ability. I've owned both the original Nikkor-Q and the AI versions and am rather fond of both.

The Nikkor 55/3.5 is a superb, small macro that focuses to 1:2, it's IMHO superior to the later 55/2.8 design. The P Auto is a somewhat unique variant with auto aperture compensation that's worth reading up on, although the optics are common to all variants.

The Nikkor 300/4.5 is an unexceptional 300. It's competent, prone to CA and not really worth much. Not worth tossing though.

The 43-86 non-AI is the first normal zoom lens for an SLR. And it performs like it. Total dog. There's a later redesigned version that isn't bad but isn't good either.

The 35/2 is a classic. it's not an exceptional performer but it is quite solid.

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:34 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vintage Nikon, Zeiss, light meters

It's worth noting also that the Nikkor-P 105/2.5 is the older 'Sonnar' design, the same design as the rangefinder 105/2.5 Nikkor-P.C

It's a very nice lens, but not as good a performer as the newer design introduced as a Nikkor-P.C

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:35 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Vintage Nikon, Zeiss, light meters

The Nikkor 55 might also be an f/1.2, the older version of the 50/1.2. Interesting lens, fairly unruly boke. Most prefer the latter lens' boke, but at least Martin prefers the earlier one!

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:40 PM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Vintage Nikon, Zeiss, light meters

If I had to have something out of this collection, I think I'd get the 55/3.5 micro in the best condition (in the box?). You can still use this lens. Probably looks pretty good on a Nikon Df.

Aug 09, 2014 at 09:23 AM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Vintage Nikon, Zeiss, light meters

The 43-86 might actually reduce the value of the nikon f!

Aug 09, 2014 at 09:31 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.