FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · The Gorge is on fire

briancphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Gorge is on fire

I took a few pictures last night of the wildfire that started in Rowena. It is an amazing sight to see the whole side of the gorge smoking and glowing. The fire is just east of the very popular McCall point wildflower area. It will be clearly visible in any sunrise photos taken there, but at least so far didn't look like it has affected the hiking area. This photo was taken from the washington side looking south east. That hill on the left is the last hill before you get to the Dalles. You can see how close the fire is to highway 84. So far only one house is destroyed but today is another very windy day. Brian

http://bcphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v158/p310008774-5.jpg

http://bcphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v133/p57687640-5.jpg

Aug 08, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Gorge is on fire

yeah i hope they get this put out quick. Stay safe out there

Aug 08, 2014 at 11:15 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Gorge is on fire

There was a fire at Hood River when I was there a few years ago, I was surprised that area burns so much since it's pretty wet. Though I guess by the time you get to the Dalles the ecosystem seems to be quite a bit drier.

Aug 08, 2014 at 11:25 AM
eyphotog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Gorge is on fire

andyjaggy82 wrote:
There was a fire at Hood River when I was there a few years ago, I was surprised that area burns so much since it's pretty wet. Though I guess by the time you get to the Dalles the ecosystem seems to be quite a bit drier.

The vegetation changes mostly past the Bridge of the Gods and things start to dry out pretty fast and it's at least 8-10 degrees hotter there than in the Portland Metro area.

Aug 08, 2014 at 11:56 AM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Gorge is on fire

Yeah average rain in Cascade locks (where most of the waterfalls are) is 76 inches. The Dalles has under 15 inches a year. Quite a change in the 40 miles or so they are apart.

Aug 08, 2014 at 03:06 PM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Gorge is on fire

Yuck. The West has had a terrible fire season. You, stay well in Hood River. And protect my favorite ice cream store, Mike's.

Chuck

Aug 08, 2014 at 03:41 PM
khilleg
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Gorge is on fire

I'm watching the reports closely since this is playground. Yikes that's too close! Thanks for the pics.

Safe in Portland...

Kevin

Aug 09, 2014 at 02:20 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.