New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · APS-C Canon vs Bridge Panasonic camera

dalite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · APS-C Canon vs Bridge Panasonic camera

For years now i have been shooting wildlife with my Canon 7D and trusty 400mm/f5.6L lens. I love the combination, but as I get older (and as my body and especially my back complains about the excessive weight that my 5'-8" frame has to bear) I begin to sense the day when I will no longer be able to handle those gear without my body complaining to me for my steadfast adherence to my current equipment. And so I began to humbly consider something smaller, something lighter and something that can satisfy one's reasonably critical eye viewing photos on a 21 inch Mac desktop and be able to make 8 x 10 prints to grace a photo album or wall frame.

Enter the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200, Panasonic's bridge camera with a focal length range of 25-600mm with a Leica badged f2.8 lens aperture the entire range. What's not to like about those features? OK, so it has a tiny 1/2.3 sensor and noise level above ISO 100 is something one has to contend with. Let's take a look at some photos taken with both the 7D+400mm and the Panasonic at 600mm.

I had two more pics to upload for comparison purpose but only one was allowed (??)
Anyway, the whole point of this thread is to cite alternatives for those who need a lighter camera that can do some of the features of a DSLR and still be acceptable. It could even be a nice companion to a heavier DSLR with a big lens. Differences in the photos result from slight differences in post processing. For example, in Lightroom the Canon had a "warmer" temperature of 5250K compared to the Panny's 4750K, and the former's "whites" were reduced 62 in the breast area of the heron versus zero for the Panny.

Panny's newest FZ1000 (see separate thread) is getting a lot of attention and is another alternative. Sooner or later, you, too, will be toting one of these lighter cameras. Like death and taxes, old age and a creaky body is inevitable.

P.S. For those clamoring for the need of EXIF date, here they are (I clicked Show Exif but it did not show, so . . .)
Canon 7D: ISO 400, f6.7@1/350 + tripod
Panasonic FZ-200: ISO 160, f4.5 @ 1/500, hand held

Peace.

Black Crowned Night Heron, Uncropped frame, 7D+400mm

Black Crowned Night Heron, Uncropped frame, Panasonic FZ-200, 600mm

Canon 7D+400mm, cropped frame, 1280 x 1595

FZ-200, 600mm cropped frame, 1280 x 1794

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:23 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · APS-C Canon vs Bridge Panasonic camera

The 7D/400 is back-focusing and it looks like you need a bit faster shutter speeds.
No IS and a focal length equivalent equal to 640mm - maybe 1/800 would have been better?

Regardless of the poor 7D results, the Panny looks pretty good, thanks for sharing.

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:45 AM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · APS-C Canon vs Bridge Panasonic camera

The Panasonic also has tons more of DoF because of the large crop factor.
Nice to see these comparisons!

Aug 08, 2014 at 06:24 AM
Uncle Mike
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · APS-C Canon vs Bridge Panasonic camera

The photo from the Canon DSLR is blurry. Looks like the Panasonic takes sharper photos!

Aug 08, 2014 at 07:51 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · APS-C Canon vs Bridge Panasonic camera

Uncle Mike wrote:
The photo from the Canon DSLR is blurry. Looks like the Panasonic takes sharper photos!

Except for the shutter speed problem with the Canon makes it hard to draw this conclusion. The light also seems a bit brighter and harsher on the Canon shot.

Aug 08, 2014 at 09:14 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · APS-C Canon vs Bridge Panasonic camera

Interesting comp (variances noted). The 7D isn't my fav camera, but I think your points have merit (especially since I have just received the FZ1000).

How close can the smaller sensor come to the larger one? How much dependence is there on the glass design? How much dependence is there on the pixel size? What is our tolerance level for variance?

I'm buried in cloud cover for the next few days, but have some birding efforts on my mind once I get some light to work with ... I want to know the level of detail that such a camera can achieve in good light.

My early observation with the FZ1000 is that the DOF diff vs. crop isn't overly significant ... yes it's there, but I'm not finding it severely detracting yet ... although, pretty early yet for me with only a few torture test shots under my belt with it.

Aug 08, 2014 at 09:48 AM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · APS-C Canon vs Bridge Panasonic camera

The FZ1000 has a 1" sensor which is twice as large (4 times the area, half the crop factor) as the FZ200 sensor. To put DoF in comparison:

Aug 08, 2014 at 10:35 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · APS-C Canon vs Bridge Panasonic camera

Good to get a few comments. Front focus/back focus . . . definitely important but I have never bothered with this. I believe there is a "how to" on this forum to correct that.

And I agree that 1/800 sec could have perhaps eliminated some of that softness in the 7D. Smaller sensor = greater DOF for what it's worth, not that it is desirable in those photos (see background in Panny photo). The Panny isn't going to replace my 7D, but it sure allows me to go all day carrying it without my back complaining.

Aug 08, 2014 at 03:37 PM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · APS-C Canon vs Bridge Panasonic camera

The FZ200 is a great bridge camera. I recommend it to anyone who's looking for a bridge camera with a big reach.

Aug 09, 2014 at 05:28 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.