Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Ever send Nikon equipment in for service without purchase receipt?

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ever send Nikon equipment in for service without purchase receipt?

I've never had an issue with not having original purchase receipts when buying Canon equipment used, but Nikon's service seemed to require the original receipt according to the listed paperwork needed to get a camera serviced.

This has me concerned about buying any used Nikon equipment.

Can I even get a Nikon camera/flash/lens/etc. serviced without a copy of the original receipt?

Aug 07, 2014 at 07:14 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ever send Nikon equipment in for service without purchase receipt?

They have serviced a 100 mm AF-D micro lens that I bought used, but of course, they charged for the service, and I had entered it on their web site's "Camera Bag" facility. I bought it in the mid-11990s IIRC. Their web site does not work very well -- just like all their software.

They say they will NOT service anything that is gray market. You need to determine that and pay less for those items.

Aug 07, 2014 at 07:48 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ever send Nikon equipment in for service without purchase receipt?

I'm in Canada, but sending gear into Nikon for service without a receipt has never been an issue - unless you're looking for warranty coverage, of course.

Aug 07, 2014 at 07:48 PM
mongoose777
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ever send Nikon equipment in for service without purchase receipt?

They do require a receipt or POP from any source.
However, I was able to get my 70-200 fixed before without any POP
bc it was only out about a month during that time.

Aug 07, 2014 at 08:19 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ever send Nikon equipment in for service without purchase receipt?

If they DO require a receipt/pop, there are a lot of cameras out there that can't get serviced.

Aug 07, 2014 at 10:15 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ever send Nikon equipment in for service without purchase receipt?

Of course you can get it serviced without a receipt or POP....they'll take anyone's money....WARRANTY work is another story...that you def need a receipt for...

Aug 07, 2014 at 10:18 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ever send Nikon equipment in for service without purchase receipt?

I walked into the Melville service center and they never asked for my receipt. I received a friendly greeting, a quick evaluation and a long estimate for the repair. I asked if they could expedite as I was about to travel and they turned the repair around in 3 days.

Morris

Aug 07, 2014 at 10:20 PM
static808
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ever send Nikon equipment in for service without purchase receipt?

i've had instances where i had no receipt and got warranty service done, and where i had a receipt but i wasnt the original purcahser, and got warranty service done. in those instances i physically dropped off the bodies/lenses at nikon el segundo. friendly service staff. have only gone once since they moved to los angeles, got a free CLA for a used D3s that i purchased here on FM.

Aug 08, 2014 at 01:39 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ever send Nikon equipment in for service without purchase receipt?

Has anyone ever gotten Nikon to repair a gray market item? Even by paying?

If so, how many years ago was it?

Aug 08, 2014 at 04:55 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ever send Nikon equipment in for service without purchase receipt?

I have heard of folks slipping gray items through but I wouldn't count on it. Same with warranty repairs without receipt. I once called Nikon and asked if the purchase receipt was necessary for out of warranty repairs. I was told no but they liked to have the receipt because some items may be covered for the original purchaser even out of warranty. Nikon can look up the s/n and tell if it is a USA warranty item.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/331/~/what-is-gray-market%3F

Aug 08, 2014 at 06:14 PM
Shane3v3

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ever send Nikon equipment in for service without purchase receipt?

I had my Korean 28 1.8 repaired after a drop without the receipt by sending them a copy of my credit card statement (important info redacted, of course) that showed purchases from camera shops in Seoul. They were definitely ready to refuse to repair it for money if I couldn't produce that.

Next time I'll go 3rd party to save the trouble. Half of my gear is either from Korea or Japan.

[Edit]
That was April this year.

Aug 08, 2014 at 06:21 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.